Notices

Detonation Question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detonation Question...

I'm starting to think that most engines can run alot more boost than is commonly thought. For example boostedED9 is running 1bar on a stock d16z6 with a greddy headgasket and will be pushing 1.2 bar in the future, or so he says!

So would anyone agree with me that you can run absurd amounts of boost as long as you have absolutely no detonation?

Stock engines can survive a good amount of knock at stock power levels and this knock is putting possibly ten times as much force on the internals as normal combustion, right? So, is it multiplicative with the amount of power you are producing, say...if you are making 150hp from an engine that is nominally 100hp and you have serious detonation is this 1.5x10 times the amount of force it would see under normal combustion at stock power levels?
So, if we completely avoid knock, what are the limits of a stock engine? 3, 4 or 5 times the original power output?!

I realize that this may seem like I'm completely stroking off, but if someone has anything to contribute, this may go somewhere
Old 02-03-2003, 09:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Detonation Question... (ion_four)

Your absolutely right.
The force from the combustion isnt enough to physically break anything, if tuned right. But your walking on a very thin wire when your boosing high. The force of 15psi worth of mixture detonating or preigniting is obviously a whole lot more violent than 5psi worth.

Even without detonation or preignition, a/f ratio is vital since stock internals arent as durable when faced with excessive heat.

I've been boosting 10psi on a stock B16a. The only alteration to the motor is that it has stock PR4 pistons, which i slightly modified. My compression ratio is pretty low, at high 8.x:1 or so.
I plan on boosting 1 bar this coming spring, as soon as i get my standalone tuned.