Notices

How much boost?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much boost?

On a stock GSR, how much boost can safely be run without detonation on 91 octane?
Here in AZ, 91 is the best we have unfortunately. This has always been a simple question to answer on the V-8's since they usually come equipped with decent knock sensors that can be monitored. I don't know what the deal is with the Acura sensors, whether they aren't sensitive enough, don't respond quick enough or are located in a less than optimal area on the block. I was told by Locash that the sensors aren't needed for tuning which leads me to these conclusions. Now my question as stated above is, how much boost? Or maybe a more pertinent question is how to monitor for knock without a knock sensor?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How much boost?

Boost/psi is just a number. Turbos are not all the same. Say you're using a TD05H from a mitsu. You could run 16psi and be ok. Then you take a 35r and try running the same 16psi. It's totally different. If your motor is 100% stock besides being boosted I'd say you'd be safe in the 330-350 range. There are people making more but it's taking a chance Also depends on how good your tune is too.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When will people learn that "boost" doesn't matter.
So to correctly answer your question, 1 - 30 psi...................
Old 01-21-2011, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyime you take a stock motor and start shoving more air into it and munipulating the original setting in the EMS you take a chance built or stock so its all risky no matter what the setup is
Old 01-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattb16teg
When will people learn that "boost" doesn't matter.
It does get old having to constantly explain why this is true, but at the same time, people who are new to turbo setups generally don't understand this concept.

OP: Set goals in terms of power rather than boost then build your setup accordingly. On your stock internal GSR on 91oct, i wouldn't aim any higher than ~330whp to be safe. People have made more on stock blocks, but once you push beyond 300whp, you're trading power for reliability in a sense. If this is your first turbo Honda, you'll have more than enough fun at that 300whp range.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Woah, easy guys. I completely understand what you all are saying and I'm not a noob to boost. However as I posed before, regardless of turbo I've always been able to rely upon knock sensor feedback to tell me where I'm at for detonation issues. With this motor I won't be able to rely on it. I was under the assumption that people were using map feedback to tune accordingly. This motor is running a T57 stage 5 and I'm looking for 350 whp without the use of my meth injection. So in a sense I guess I'm asking where, approximately, pump gas will take me daily driving.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:53 AM

Knock sensor feedback is more useful on V8s since they don't spin as high as our engines. When you put a microphone on an engine at 8k+ everything starts to sound bad.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Refer back to my previous post. You can make 350whp, but you're going to be trading reliability/longevity for power at that point. If this is a daily, i would knock the goals back slightly or find higher grade fuel.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AssHammer
On a stock GSR, how much boost can safely be run without detonation on 91 octane?
Here in AZ, 91 is the best we have unfortunately. This has always been a simple question to answer on the V-8's since they usually come equipped with decent knock sensors that can be monitored. I don't know what the deal is with the Acura sensors, whether they aren't sensitive enough, don't respond quick enough or are located in a less than optimal area on the block. I was told by Locash that the sensors aren't needed for tuning which leads me to these conclusions. Now my question as stated above is, how much boost? Or maybe a more pertinent question is how to monitor for knock without a knock sensor?
http://www.azmustangs.com/racegas.htm

We can get race gas here. Now you know. And GSRs have knock sensors. And Joe is one of the best tuners in AZ.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AssHammer
Woah, easy guys. I completely understand what you all are saying and I'm not a noob to boost. However as I posed before, regardless of turbo I've always been able to rely upon knock sensor feedback to tell me where I'm at for detonation issues. With this motor I won't be able to rely on it. I was under the assumption that people were using map feedback to tune accordingly. This motor is running a T57 stage 5 and I'm looking for 350 whp without the use of my meth injection. So in a sense I guess I'm asking where, approximately, pump gas will take me daily driving.
I answered your question on the first post. psi doesn't matter. 330-350 is about the limit for a pump gas stock gsr without getting out of the comfort zone.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B18CivicEJ8
http://www.azmustangs.com/racegas.htm

We can get race gas here. Now you know. And GSRs have knock sensors. And Joe is one of the best tuners in AZ.
I wouldn't dispute any of those facts. I'll also add that Joe is a great guy and goes the distance for his customers. However, if you had read my post a bit more thoroughly, you'd see my intention was for PUMP gas, not race gas. Now YOU know.

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate the input.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll read the whole thread and comment when I can get to my computer but I just had to say your username is epic.