Notices

Decisions about swaps and turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions about swaps and turbo

I just have a few questions about a swap and installing a turbo charger.

I had originally decided to go with a b18b engine and a 92-95 coupe. Then I thought about the hatch and to be honest I just can't seem to find a hatch I really like. I have always wanted an integra though. I found one going for 3500 but it needed a ton of work. The body would definently require alot of work. I still want to swap the b17b engine in because it's much cheaper than the GSR. Seems like I could almost turbo a b18b for the price difference of a b18c. I know that's some 'fuzzy math' but I think the swap fit my needs better. I tried searching for insurance quotes and that type of thing. My main concern right now is the insurance I would be paying. I'm paying for a 95 4.0L Grand Cherokee so I know what high insurance means. I'm currently with state farm and would like to stay with them. My questions mainly boil down to these :

If I boost the b18b with 8 - 10lbs what kind of times will I run in a civic hatch, civic 2dr coupe, and an integra? I know alot of this depends on how well it's tuned but I'm just looking for approximate times.

What kind of insurance difference will I be looking at with the integra that I'm dying for? I read something about a guy paying 800 for his integra and 575 for a civic but he's over 25. I'm 19 and only have a clean record as an adult and 1 speeding ticket as a minor at age 16.
Any suggestions or input would be great.

Thanks alot,
Noel
Old 04-27-2002, 01:25 PM
New User

Default Re: Decisions about swaps and turbo (noel)

only pay liability on an unmodified integra(or whatever car you end up getting). then, put some money in an alarm and get a manual kill switch hidden. they can't steal it if they can't find that switch. telling an insurance agent that you swapped in a bigger motor and added a turbo will not be a good idea. although i have heard of some insurance agents allowing you to buy extra coverage. like paying x amount for a premium and you get like 5,000 extra in coverage. they're all different.
Old 04-27-2002, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Decisions about swaps and turbo (jinxproof99)

Jinxproof,

Yeah I thought about doing that but I'm to paranoid about hitting someone or someone hitting me without insurance being completely screwed. From what I've heard and read on here State Farm doesn't seem to care too much about swapping. The cool part about the integra is I could buy a LS and just drop a new engine into it. I've got alot of work to do to the b18b before it goes anywhere though. I'm going to try and do it right the first time.

Thanks for your input...anyone else?

Noel