Notices

Cracked a sleeve after installing mishimoto radiator. Opinions/experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked a sleeve after installing mishimoto radiator. Opinions/experiences?

So I was running my LS-T for 6 monthes straight. 15lbs and no problems at all. Compression was consistently fine every time it was checked. Until recently, when I noticed that I had a hairline crack in my radiator and needed a new one. I figured I should just buy a Mishimoto radiator and slim fan because I wanted to buy a quality radiator. That night, my car overheated and my thermostat was found to be bad. Replaced it, and went home for the night. The next night, I went out with some friends and was at WOT a few times and my motor cracked cyl#3 sleeve.

My question is, has anyone else experienced engine failure with a boosted car after changing to an aftermarket radiator? I understand 15lbs on a stock LS sounds like it might be pushing it, but like I said, I ran it for 6 monthes straight, daily driven and comression always appeared right on.

Thanks for any opinions and experiences in advance.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cracked a sleeve after installing mishimoto radiator. Opinions/experiences? (Ramma)

I dont think the radiator had anything at all to do with it. You said your themostat was found to be bad which caused the motor to over heat. I would assume the overheating was the extra stress on your motor that cause it to possibly detonate or cause extra stress on the motor which in turn caused your problem.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Cracked a sleeve after installing mishimoto radiator. Opinions/experiences? (Ramma)

it would seem the mishimoto wasnt the issue. when the thermostat failed and overheated the motor it more than likely weakened the sleeves.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That makes sense. I have no hard feelings and this isn't one of those, SCREW MISHIMOTO!!!, threads. I understand i blew it up and i am in the process of rebuilding. Just looking to get some other opinions.