Notices

Benifits of race gas.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benifits of race gas.

What up hontecher's.

I recently bought a h22 boosted Ek.Its making 312whp and im happy with it,but the simple fact is I rarely drive it,so race gas price's are not an issue..My question is what are the possible issue's????Or possible hp gains involved with race gass

Mods are as follow's

rods
pistons 9.1
full valve tain
crower stage 2 cams
full msd
hondata s300
dss 475 axle's
cant remember clutch at the moment but its stage one,i think around 280 ftlbs.Will be changed when needed
ac autotechnics intake manifold
hondata intake gasket
750 rc injector's with golden eagle rail
Running drag kit at 11.3 psi on turbonetics turbo...I dont know what the turbo specs are as it is rebuilt and missing serial number's.
Gauges for the above

Block is not sleeved,nore any crank work.
Anyway,what kind of power can i expectt with say 17,18 pounds.The car was tuned for daily driving and now i want it for weekend *** woopin.I would like around 450whp...or what would you recommend to do so????

Modified by nissan480 at 12:24 AM 4/7/2008
Old 04-06-2008, 11:23 PM
i ♥ snails

it wont make your motor physically stronger or anything like that but it allows your to pass the pump gas detonation threshold and venture onto higher numbers, but these days tuners are pushing pump gas tunes pretty far,
hard to give you numbers when u dont know what turbo you have. good luck.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:42 PM

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

Completely aware that race gas wont stengthen the motor,only its ability to resist detonation,but that resistance equals boost,wich equals hp.

I hate to speak without experience,but I know race gas will increase boost abality,and have yet to come across any turbo manufacture that isnt capable of 400whp,atleast thats what they say....Im pissed i dont know what turbo it is!!!!!

Lets just say the turbo is capable...or it will be replaced.

I bought this car for what it was tuned to do,but now realize that I wont drive it much,so race gas aint nothin

Thanks for the input.

Modified by nissan480 at 12:48 AM 4/7/2008

Modified by nissan480 at 12:50 AM 4/7/2008
Old 04-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Benifits of race gas. (nissan480)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nissan480 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its making 312whp and im happy with it</TD></TR></TABLE>

You've answered your own indirect question, if you need it or not.

If you're happy with 312whp on pump gas, then there's zero reason to waste money on race gas. Pump gas on a Honda as built as yours will have no problem passing 400whp on pump. You can run more timing with race gas, but if you're staying at 312whp, there's no point.

With leaded gas, you'll just be ruining any used o2 sensors after a while, able to make around twice the HP (given the right turbo), and poisoning the envorionment, and breaking a major law that could get your car confiscated if it's running leaded on the street. Nothing big...

BTW there's a very easy way to ID a turbo. Take it out, measure the wheels, then look up garrett specs or ask a turbo know-it-all. But then again, you bought the car as-is.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Benifits of race gas. (HiProfile)

Well,I bought it at 312...wich is more than im used to,so im happy...but since I drive my eg with ac all the time,why not try for more.....If it brake's i got my reliable eg...Just adding this in,there's no o2 sensor's,it's tuned and thats it.What i drive home is what i get.

Maybe a difference between happy and what i want!!usually how it is for me.

the point i was tryingy to make(should have explained more)is that im willing to pay 5+ a gallon for race gas if it wont hurt the plastic or rubber seals,and give me a worth while gain.

Just rereading your post,and if you think i can get away with 400whp ill give it a shot,or mention to tuner.

Modified by nissan480 at 1:24 AM 4/7/2008

Modified by nissan480 at 1:31 AM 4/7/2008

Modified by nissan480 at 2:13 AM 4/7/2008
Old 04-07-2008, 06:16 AM

Race gas in itself is actually LESS powerful then pump gas and the most "efficient" of the pump gasses is the lowest octane. Lower octane combusts faster and more violently. Problem is it's also more prone to self-combust (detonation) when too much heat/pressure is added.

You ALWAYS want to run the lowest octane you can get away for those reasons. Added benifit is it's cheaper. Also, rememeber to look at torque when deciding when to turn to another fuel. 300wtrq is about when the limit of 93 pump gas is being reached for a standard 1.8L honda engine with an overall normal setup like yours. Some cars make that at 350whp some cars some do it at 550whp, so you really can't look at HP. That 300wrtq is still in the safe zone. I've seen people do 375wtrq on pump gas, but I really think that is unsafe in the end. I hope this all helps.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a question- how are you able to run forged pistons on h22 stock sleeves? To my understanding you cannot run forged pistons with FRM sleeves??
Old 04-07-2008, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Benifits of race gas. (SpdFrk)

Thanks for brake down on octane(pump gas),and never heard it related to torque?Its making 233 at 4000rpm area,and 312 at 7,500(cams) at the momemt.Personally I think the number's this car is producing is kinda low considering mods and boost level's.11.3psi

As far as the forged pistons,I do not know...Thats the problem with buying a "tv dinner"(already built car),i have no idea except for what has been told to me.Pistons are cp 9.1...Im gonna go to there website and see what they have to say about frm sleeve's.

Thanks for your time and input fella's...Ive been out of the game for awhile,and never dealt with anything boosted,mainly bolt on cars.