Notices

cracked my sleeves on my lsv turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cracked my sleeves on my lsv turbo

hey i was wondering could i have had a boost spike and that cause it to crack my sleeve ? cause i just rebuilt my motor and made a bad decision and decided not to use block guards. my set up consists of a rebuilt bottom end just with arp rod bolts and head studs. Did not really touch the head.My turbo setup is a turbonetics turbo, piping, 750 rc injectors with ebay wg and bov. It was tuned on chrome but my motor siezed up when i brought it home so the tune was not finish'd. i changed the crank cause it had spun bearing.Then everything was good for about 200 miles i decided to step on it which i did not even floor. Then it died on me so i started checking things and i thought i had a blown headgasket since there was milky oil so i pulled the head off and there it was a crank and broken cylinder wall
Old 01-15-2011, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: cracked my sleeves on my lsv turbo

so you said it was not completely tuned and you attempted to beat on it and youre wondering why it has broken on you? Am I understanding this completely?
Old 01-15-2011, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yes you could have had a boost spike. happened to me a long time ago, cracked sleeve had a boost spike. crome has a boost cut, use it next time.

the block guard is a waste, not having one didnt cause you motor to crack. also, dont use the ebay wg, its not worth it
Old 01-15-2011, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah it was not completely tune and yes i did beat on it. But i didnt beat on it like crazy i did not floor it and was shifting really slow.And i did not beat on it daily i didnt even drive the car daily i just drove it to my friends to tare down his motor for him then i was gonna go finish the tune. And yeah this time around i do plan on upgrading my wg and i guess im gonna be using a block guard since i plan on buying another dd with my income tax.And the reason i brought up the block guard is for some odd reason my friend decided he wanted to boost 40psi on his stock gsr block.He had block guards and the only thing that crack was the pistons
Old 01-15-2011, 08:15 AM
All Motor Mentor

It sounds like you had a number of problems because of not understanding and paying attention to details when building a motor. If your motor seized and spun a bearing, it probably wasn't clearanced correctly. The tune is critical in a high performance motor, especially a boosted one. A block guard is not needed and wouldn't have saved anything. Cracking a sleeve or a piston is always a result of the same thing... the TUNE. Before you start building anything again, you need to step back and figure out what went wrong with your motor each time, so you can learn from it and not repeat your mistakes. It sounds like your buddy needs to educate himself as well before someone tuns him loose on another build.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i didnt know you had to measer clearance when rebuilding a motor back to stock with oem parts?? cause i lookd up the measuring clearance they said you did not need to measure it and i think my bearing spun then seized the motor the first time cause when i did a oil change for some reason when i turn the car on it reved up by itself and i did not think to turn off the motor first so i just tried to get the rpms to go down but when i got it to go down i had a rod knock already then it ran for a couple of seconds then seized up
Old 01-15-2011, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

block guard wont do anything for you its a cosmetic piece, if your sleeves are gonna crack the block guard wont do anything to stop it. it was your car being untuned and you beating on it, is my guess

good luck with your next build but dont go and purchase a block guard cause u think its gonna save your next block cause it wont.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:29 AM
All Motor Mentor

Originally Posted by phaphon
i didnt know you had to measer clearance when rebuilding a motor back to stock with oem parts?? cause i lookd up the measuring clearance they said you did not need to measure it and i think my bearing spun then seized the motor the first time cause when i did a oil change for some reason when i turn the car on it reved up by itself and i did not think to turn off the motor first so i just tried to get the rpms to go down but when i got it to go down i had a rod knock already then it ran for a couple of seconds then seized up
...and that's why your engine seized/spun a bearing. Checking your clearances when building a motor, even a stock one, is critical to it working great, or breaking down. That's the lesson to you, regarding what happened, now you'll know to always check everytime you build something right?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah it was not completely tune and yes i did beat on it. But i didnt beat on it like crazy i did not floor it and was shifting really slow.And i did not beat on it daily i didnt even drive the car daily i just drove it to my friends to tare down his motor for him then i was gonna go finish the tune. And yeah this time around i do plan on upgrading my wg and i guess im gonna be using a block guard since i plan on buying another dd with my income tax.And the reason i brought up the block guard is for some odd reason my friend decided he wanted to boost 40psi on his stock gsr block.He had block guards and the only thing that crack was the pistons
it doesn t matter how slow u shift
when u go into boost

and 40psi will blow a headgasket or snap a rod on a stock gsr
Old 01-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You do know that oem bearings come in different sizes so you can create proper clearances right?

http://articles.evans-tuning.com/200...e-build-video/

check out these videos of a GSR build. same principle for clearances and measuring apply. you can read on this page that there are 7 different OEM bearing sizes.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dcmatt
You do know that oem bearings come in different sizes so you can create proper clearances right?

http://articles.evans-tuning.com/200...e-build-video/

check out these videos of a GSR build. same principle for clearances and measuring apply. you can read on this page that there are 7 different OEM bearing sizes.
yeah i do know honestly i was just to lazy...and also how would bearing clearances have anything to do with my cylinder walls breaking??? just wondering not tryin to sound like a smart person..... also when my cylinder walls crack i was still able to drive it and it didnt make no noise or what so ever but it just drove stupid
Old 01-16-2011, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rev-speed
it doesn t matter how slow u shift
when u go into boost

and 40psi will blow a headgasket or snap a rod on a stock gsr
yeah my friend was the one boostin 40psi im not sure what made him want to boost that high im sure he was aware that something was going to go wrong but i was only boostin 8psi
Old 01-16-2011, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and honestly i have watch'd the video about three times. I still dont get how to measure the clearance.If someone would be willing to try and help me understand that would be cool
Old 01-16-2011, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey i was wondering could i have had a boost spike and that cause it to crack my sleeve ? cause i just rebuilt my motor and made a bad decision and decided not to use block guards. my set up consists of a rebuilt bottom end just with arp rod bolts and head studs. Did not really touch the head.My turbo setup is a turbonetics turbo, piping, 750 rc injectors with ebay wg and bov. It was tuned on chrome but my motor siezed up when i brought it home so the tune was not finish'd. i changed the crank cause it had spun bearing.Then everything was good for about 200 miles i decided to step on it which i did not even floor. Then it died on me so i started checking things and i thought i had a blown headgasket since there was milky oil so i pulled the head off and there it was a crank and broken cylinder wall

Few things wrong:

Block guard
eBay BOV and WG.
Not having a full tune

Who built the engine?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah my friend was the one boostin 40psi im not sure what made him want to boost that high im sure he was aware that something was going to go wrong but i was only boostin 8psi
your boy has ***** lol.....
send him to my shop in fresno next time he s willing to push something that hard

im game when there s something to learn from....
Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mechanix619
Few things wrong:

Block guard
eBay BOV and WG.
Not having a full tune

Who built the engine?
i didnt run a block guard
the bov im sure was fine i could hear it pretty good
and the full tune i was on my way to get the tune finish
oh and i built the engine.
and im sure if it was something with the engine build i would have heard it or
notice it cause something else would have happen right? cause other then
it sounding like a subie and driving like it has crack cylinders it had no knocking whatsoever
Old 01-17-2011, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rev-speed
your boy has ***** lol.....
send him to my shop in fresno next time he s willing to push something that hard

im game when there s something to learn from....
yeah thats what i thought but he just honed it changed pistons and bearings and i do still see the car driving in the fresno area
Old 01-17-2011, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you even measure the crank to see if it was reusable after spinning a bearing?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i didnt run a block guard
the bov im sure was fine i could hear it pretty good
and the full tune i was on my way to get the tune finish
oh and i built the engine.
and im sure if it was something with the engine build i would have heard it or
notice it cause something else would have happen right? cause other then
it sounding like a subie and driving like it has crack cylinders it had no knocking whatsoever
Just because you can hear the BOV doesn't mean its actually working properly. BOV and WG from eBay have been know to fail. They don't function as well as a Tial or Precision.

I'd think the issues stems from the tune but the eBay parts would also be a red light.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i do know honestly i was just to lazy...and also how would bearing clearances have anything to do with my cylinder walls breaking??? just wondering not tryin to sound like a smart person..... also when my cylinder walls crack i was still able to drive it and it didnt make no noise or what so ever but it just drove stupid
You had mentioned you spun a rod bearing so I figured I would let you know. Since you didn't check bearing clearances I'm going to assume you didn't check piston to wall or ring gaps either so I figured the videos would help.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:58 PM
All Motor Mentor

Bearing clearances have to to with your crank and rods, cylinder walls cracking have to do with the tune (or lack of) that you were running.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ran lean....cylinder walls got hot and broke. Sounds like its time to get a nice Wg and wideband
Old 01-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol... cheap ebay parts= blown up engines
Old 01-17-2011, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i plan on building another motor soon since some money should be coming in. And upgrading some parts on my turbo kit.Its funny my tuner told me i didn't need to bother getting another wg.Thanks for all the info and yeah i'm also leaning towards this as a reason is that my car has overheated pretty bad a couple of times when i let the turbo timer stay on.This has happen about three times.The needle was well pass the red line