Notices

COuld you run dump tube on internal wastegate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2003, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COuld you run dump tube on internal wastegate?

like on the dsm flanges

could you just run the exhaust pipe into the exhaust an dthen where teh wastegate is just run tube to teh ground. would it hurt the turbo? or spool slower? just wondering Thanks guys
Old 01-05-2003, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Definitely...

...works great, and actually is very beneficial because it does not disrupt the exhaust flow when the WG opens because the 2 are completely seperate.

Here's a couple DSM 02 housing replacement versions - you could make something just like it for just about any internal wg turbo:

- Slater
Old 01-05-2003, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Definitely... (Slater)

where can you buy thsi at? thanks great help
Old 01-05-2003, 07:56 PM
Boostless97Lude

Default Re: Definitely... (CIV616)

anyone know the advantages to this exactly.... i was going to do something like that, but remove the internal WG, run pipe (kinda like the dump tube) and then put a TiAL WG at the end..... but if by adding just a dump tube to the external WG i can get the same advantages, then i would much rather go the cheaper route
Old 01-05-2003, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Definitely... (CIV616)

You're talking junkyard stuff there man.

Grab a grinder, some piping, and a welder and go to town!

- Slater
Old 01-05-2003, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Definitely... (Slater)

a dump tube for an internal gate for a honda application will need to be custom.

unless you're running a mitsu turbo where the dsm flanges will fit.

either way, shouldn't be too tough to do as long as you know someone who can weld.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Definitely... (bgod)

So the people with the Greddy trubo kits could use this to extract a little more power out of their systems. I wonder what kinda modifications need to be done to get those to fit.
-deepsi
Old 01-05-2003, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Definitely... (DeepSi)

Actually, If you have ever seen the discharge side to a Greddy turbo, as compared to a Mitsu, you will notice something that will make this quite difficult. The Mitsu turbine housing has 2 seperate "tunnels" coming out of it. One for wastegate and one for the turbine. The flange has 2 holes for this reason. Unfortunately, they just dump into the same 02 housing. The Greddy turbine, on the other hand, is sort of like a funkafied Garrett unit. The gasket has one hole, and the discharge area is joined together. We all also know that the Greddy and Mitsu flanges(entry and exit)are both totally unrelated, correct? Moving on. My brother and I have been researching this for quite some time and I think we will be the first people on the site to complete this setup, that I know of. The key to this (I hope someone starts fabbing now, so I can save money) is to make your own flange (what my bro is doing for his greddy) or buy a flange (t28 discharge for me), and weld a divider onto the turbine side of the flange, and drill a hole for the wastegate. This will seperate the turbine discharge, from the wastegate flow. Then on the DP side of the flange, make your downpipe and have the wastegate have it's own "minidownpipe" open atmoshpere or plumb it back 18" later...
food for thought...
Old 01-05-2003, 10:51 PM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Definitely... (JalopySiR)

The drop shop does DP's like that. I think they got picts up at http://www.thedropshop.tv of t25 or 14g divorced DPs.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Definitely... (mos)

It's actually quite simple with the DSM turbos, as you can see by the flanges posted at the top of the post. A standard T25 or Greddy turbo, on the other hand, is quite a different story, as you see in my earlier reply.
Old 03-04-2004, 06:55 PM

Default Re: COuld you run dump tube on internal wastegate? (CIV616)

where do u get those flanges
Old 03-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: COuld you run dump tube on internal wastegate? (reddevil11psi)

http://www.roadraceengineering.com
Old 03-08-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Definitely... (JalopySiR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JalopySiR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually, If you have ever seen the discharge side to a Greddy turbo, as compared to a Mitsu, you will notice something that will make this quite difficult. The Mitsu turbine housing has 2 seperate "tunnels" coming out of it. One for wastegate and one for the turbine. The flange has 2 holes for this reason. Unfortunately, they just dump into the same 02 housing. The Greddy turbine, on the other hand, is sort of like a funkafied Garrett unit. The gasket has one hole, and the discharge area is joined together. We all also know that the Greddy and Mitsu flanges(entry and exit)are both totally unrelated, correct? Moving on. My brother and I have been researching this for quite some time and I think we will be the first people on the site to complete this setup, that I know of. The key to this (I hope someone starts fabbing now, so I can save money) is to make your own flange (what my bro is doing for his greddy) or buy a flange (t28 discharge for me), and weld a divider onto the turbine side of the flange, and drill a hole for the wastegate. This will seperate the turbine discharge, from the wastegate flow. Then on the DP side of the flange, make your downpipe and have the wastegate have it's own "minidownpipe" open atmoshpere or plumb it back 18" later...
food for thought...</TD></TR></TABLE>

You making this too complicate but it'll work too. The easier way is just weld the internal wastegate shut on you Greddy unit and drill a hole on the manifold and put a nice Tial wastegate there and run your own piping from there.