Notices

cooling/radiators/good/bad put data inside please---->

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: cooling/radiators/good/bad put data inside please---->

Well, since I need the SiR hood (raised center) for my CRX because it's the only one that'll fit due to the taller block, I can't get a vented hood. I am waiting for Golden Eagle to push out their newley designed electric water pumps. I hope that they fixed the leaking issue. At least that is what I heard the issue was. They are a little pricey to be leaking. If this doesn't put my heating issue in check . . . . . I don't what is next, a couple of oil coolers I guess hell.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

would a small scoop under in front of the rad help any as far as airflow? I don't have space to duct other than to cut the front bumper, I have about 2 1/2" space between my ic and rad. would like to see lower temps but not sure what else could be done. ahobbs a while back in your other spal fan thread, you were thinking of using a block off plate to seal off the area between the rad and drivers frame to direct air to the rad. any reason why you scrapped that idea? I was thinking to do the same but remembered you didnt go through with it so I'm left wondering? thanks in advance and I'm using a fal fan butI think i'm going to look into one your shrouds for the spal fan. thanks in advance for the explanation.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wonderful thread!
I just got my turbo setup running and am using a 1/2 mishimoto rad and a cheapy 12" fan which seem to only flow about 850 cfm's.

Cooling isn't too bad but sometimes in this 95 - 100+ weather it'll start to get a bit hot, about 220, at which time I just crank the heat on and it'll go back down to normal operating temps.

I am going to order the 13" Spal fan which flows 1700 + cfm and I def. need to wrap my dp as well.

If I purchase the Spal fan do I need to get the Bosch 30 amp relay I've heard about?

Also, has anyone ran just the 13" spal fan without a shroud and saw lower temps?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you need to realize is that you have a cooling problem like most of us and getting a fan is not the solution. Lack of air flow to the radiator or other problems are causing your car to run hot on warm days. The spal fan shroud or not will only help reduce temps once they have gone up. It will not keep temps down with just normal driving. I upgraded to a 14" fan which acts as a shroud on my PWR (14x14 core) and it helps bring temps down faster however it does not prevent it from raising on hot days climbing on hills. Also the SPAL does not put out 1700 cfm, its more like 1100cfm if that. A lot of sites posts these ridiculous number just as a marketing ploy.

Good luck
Old 07-07-2010, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the insight, I'm just trying to start at square one and go from there.
Also going to try and grab the block off from a hatch without AC at the junk yard.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

each his own but your problem is not your fan, its the other problem causing it to run hot on warm days.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jetspeedz
each his own but your problem is not your fan, its the other problem causing it to run hot on warm days.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I know I need more air to the radiator because the intercooler is soo darn large. This fan needs to go anyway so, like I said just using that as a starting point. I really am not to keen on cutting up the bumper or hood.

The funny thing is there are plenty of cars running around with seemingly no heating issues what so ever without holes in their bumpers, maybe they have better airflow somehow.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's fine, and I'm with you about avoiding cutting holes in bumpers, although I'm not convinced those other people are not having cooling issues either and just dont pay attention b/c they are not monitoring ECT temps and just paying attention to the needle which is not accurate at all. Good luck
Old 07-07-2010, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks sir, you too!
I will keep this thread updated with changes and how + or - they affect the temps.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

likewise, i have quite a few things i purchased to see if it will make a change and as soon as i implement them ill post results
Old 07-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mattb16teg
I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I know I need more air to the radiator because the intercooler is soo darn large. This fan needs to go anyway so, like I said just using that as a starting point. I really am not to keen on cutting up the bumper or hood.

The funny thing is there are plenty of cars running around with seemingly no heating issues what so ever without holes in their bumpers, maybe they have better airflow somehow.
do you still have the stock crossmember? ive noticed on DAs there isnt alot of area for the air to leave the engine bay because the crossmember takes up most of the room.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tasco
do you still have the stock crossmember? ive noticed on DAs there isnt alot of area for the air to leave the engine bay because the crossmember takes up most of the room.
Nope full-race traction bar.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All, I purchased the Spal 13" fan, do I need to get the Bosch 30 amp relay I've heard about?
Old 07-08-2010, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mattb16teg
All, I purchased the Spal 13" fan, do I need to get the Bosch 30 amp relay I've heard about?
yes you do need to run a relay. here's how ahobbs showed to wire it up...

only change i made was to just run 1 wire with no diode between terminal 85 and a12 on the ecu.

link to the original SPAL 13" thread
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...highlight=spal
Old 07-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mattb16, is your radiator on your FR traction bar? I was able to mount mine under the front core support giving me more room and I am using a FAL fan.

there are quite a few things I'm trying out, my hood is cut above the turbo to help in venting similar to what ahobbs did. I am using a DEI turbo blanket and my downpipe is wrapped, and turbo, downpipe and manifold are all thermal coated. not sure what else I can do as far as keeping temps down. I am thinking of that dead space next to the radiator but wanted to get some feedback as to why or why it will not work.

ahobbs was going about to use this method but opted against it... wanted an explanation as to the reasoning behind it.

I am like you, If I can avoid cutting my bumper then I will. I was wondering if a splitter or scoop forcing air coming from the bottom of the car while driving could be forced to go up to the front of the radiator? just thinking......I know this probably would not help in stop and go traffic but just a thought. our bays are cramped.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's sitting right above the traction bar.
Guess we will see once I get my fan...
Old 07-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a lot of good info here! just get a T1 rad combo for 600$+ :p
Old 07-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly ive had a few turbo setups and having a shroud is the best thing you can for a turbo civic/integra with a half radiator. the OEM fan and shroud works excellent if you can fit it with the setup.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alot of great info in this thread. I have been having issues with my integra with an ebay half size rad running hot, getting up to 220 and throwing code 11. I am going to try a better fan/shroud combo and see if that helps. Thanks for all the great info and input guys.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well it has been 95-98 here the past few days and ive been driving my integra with the ebay fan/radiator and shes been doing just fine..

I have to agree with jetspeedz, i think alot of the cars dont have good airflow going to the radiator...
Old 07-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gringotegra
Well it has been 95-98 here the past few days and ive been driving my integra with the ebay fan/radiator and shes been doing just fine..

I have to agree with jetspeedz, i think alot of the cars dont have good airflow going to the radiator...
You mind posting pics of your front bumper and under the hood. I think air flow is key and the fact you don't have A/c (condenser) helps a bit. I have some parts i need to add to see if it will make a difference just have to wait till knee heals up from surgery.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The intercooler is not small either haha...

Ive cut most of the plastic out.

Heres another thing that i think helps, my manifold isnt really close to the radiator and im sure it keeps the temps down a bit... i also run E85 and that keeps the egt's down too..
Old 07-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for sharing the pics, that is a huge intercooler, and not having the condenser certainly is a big plus since that is one less obstruction and based on the position of your radiator it looks like the side of the radiator gets a good bit of air flow.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok since I was last having issues, I have made some changes and no more overheating!

Had a radiator hose burst so I ordered some silicone ones to add to my Buddy Club fan switch and SPAL 13" fan.

Drained the cooling system, put all parts on and filled it back up with water and water wetter.
Drove around last night in 95 degree weather and beat on it and the car stayed right between 190 - 200.

The SPAL fan is a monster!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Who the fack changed my title?!