Notices

cooling issues in this heat!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling issues in this heat!!

well driving around in this heat makes me wonder how the people in arizona drive around boosted cars, my car drives fine until i go into traffic then the temp needles goes up past halfway mark which scares the F*&k out of me doesw anyone else run in to this problem, this is what i have boosted integra ls/vtec (PWR civic radiator) two fans that run constant antifreeze is fine samco radiator hoses inline pro mani gt35r turbo 2.5 downpipe.......oh yeah no HEAD GASK ISSUES
Old 07-11-2005, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: cooling issues in this heat!! (PIFFSTAR)

Radiator is too small. The PWR radiator is a good one, but it still has like 1/2 the flow surface of the OEM radiator.

I use a OEM radiator. Never had the needle budge above normal on 90° days in traffic.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:01 AM

Location: We Cant Stop Here This Is Bat Country, So CaL, USDM
Default Re: cooling issues in this heat!! (beepy)

do you think that core is too small even with the fans running constantly??? maybe try bleeding the coolant and wrapping the mainfold??
Old 07-11-2005, 11:30 AM

Mine is fine for the first 20 minutes or so of driving, then the needle just climbs. I notice on the highway that hills (or load for that matter) make the needle rise and then it goes back down on decline. If I keep the heat on full blast w/ the vents pointed at the windows it does better.

My next move is fluidyne / downpipe wrap / turbo bag insulator thing or whatever. Just seems like it gets heatsoaked after 20 minutes...

stock eg radiator (not dual core) / 12 inch electric fan / B Series / stainless log mani (pretty thick)....
Old 07-11-2005, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

drill a couple of holes in your thermostat. That will alow some water/coolant to flow through all the time. It will keep the temp lower.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:45 AM

running a dual core civic rad here...still have some probs overheating...running a ls/vtec on 7psi...sitting in traffic is a nightmare...the fan kicks on but the car is just soooo hot...but once driving its sits around 210-220
Old 07-12-2005, 09:38 AM

Default Re: (drumking15)

i'm going to get some thermal wrap today se if that helps a little i'll keep you posted
Old 07-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PIFFSTAR)

Water Wetter works really good
Old 07-12-2005, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (LSEGHATCH)

I live in Fla where it also gets hot a ****, constantly!!!

If your overheating, there is something wrong. I will see my gauge go over the halfway mark sometimes if I drive on the highway and keep getting on the throttle over and over but for the most part it stays in the middle even when I beat on it.

Common over heat problems

T-Stat---usually it is because of this piece of **** that you overheat.
Bubbles in cooling system. 2nd biggest reason, you didn't bleed enough, you have to leave the car idling for like a half hour to get all the bubbles out with the heater on.
Rad Cap is bad--wont hold pressure.
Leaking coolant somewhere---this can happen only at WOT and not at idle so its hard to find sometimes.
Make sure you fan is coming on. I wired mine to stay on always when car is on.
Worst case scenario is headgasket is leaking exhaust gas into coolant system. You can sometimes see this if you look in your rad resevior and see bubbles coming up.

Modified by mike1114 at 7:24 PM 7/12/2005
Old 07-12-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Common over heat problems

T-Stat---usually it is because of this piece of **** that you overheat.
Bubbles in cooling system. 2nd biggest reason, you didn't bleed enough, you have to leave the car idling for like a half hour to get all the bubbles out with the heater on.
Rad Cap is bad--wont hold pressure.
Leaking coolant somewhere---this can happen only at WOT and not at idle so its hard to find sometimes.
Make sure you fan is coming on. I wired mine to stay on always when car is on.
Worst case scenario is headgasket is leaking exhaust gas into coolant system. You can sometimes see this if you look in your rad resevior and see bubbles coming up.

Modified by mike1114 at 7:24 PM 7/12/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

awesome reply! solid info there...

I'm still chasing my coolant problems which I believe is from compounded causes... ie) constant leaks here and there, and I was thinking it was my HG so i was about to go see a radiator shop to have a hydro carbon test done to see if it's the HG... then I found my fan doesnt turn on now I'll be siked to find thats the only issue and not the HG, but anyone that follows my posts will know thats not my luck...

it's a tuff battle, but I believe when everything is running correctly there should never be any heating issues.

all you guys driving around with the heater blasting in the summer are just plain lazy
Old 07-12-2005, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I use a stock radiator in my ITR with the condensor fan mounted to the front and polarity reversed to make it a pusher: no problems. The temp stays about the same year round. It never gets hot here in Dallas though...
Old 07-12-2005, 11:39 AM

Default Re: (turbosi03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosi03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">awesome reply! solid info there...

I'm still chasing my coolant problems which I believe is from compounded causes... ie) constant leaks here and there, and I was thinking it was my HG so i was about to go see a radiator shop to have a hydro carbon test done to see if it's the HG... then I found my fan doesnt turn on now I'll be siked to find thats the only issue and not the HG, but anyone that follows my posts will know thats not my luck...

it's a tuff battle, but I believe when everything is running correctly there should never be any heating issues.

all you guys driving around with the heater blasting in the summer are just plain lazy </TD></TR></TABLE>

you tellin me its so hot up here...dam 90 degree humid days....doin alright...but if i sit still for an extended period of time the needle just climbs...now if i could just get these wastegate bolts to stay tight id be happy
Old 07-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PIFFSTAR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well driving around in this heat makes me wonder how the people in arizona drive around boosted cars, my car drives fine until i go into traffic then the temp needles goes up past halfway mark which scares the F*&k out of me doesw anyone else run in to this problem, this is what i have boosted integra ls/vtec (PWR civic radiator) two fans that run constant antifreeze is fine samco radiator hoses inline pro mani gt35r turbo 2.5 downpipe.......oh yeah no HEAD GASK ISSUES </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey buddy, I'm boosted in AZ and some of these people in Washington and Florida make me laugh, c mon please, I'm currently in Kuwait which is similar to AZ and we are 120's off and on... it was 114 in AZ yesterday. So as for keeping your LS/vtec cooler I found that Thermal coatings had brought my engine temps way down.. Wrapping should help massively also, I can not knock that cause i haven't tried it.. but i hear it does help drastically. I also have a fluidyne and used 1 gal of preston coolant and the rest water. I used a different from stock thermastat but can not recall the temp specc. well anywho this kept me at normal temps even when hitting 145 down an open desert highway....so kinda hard on her on over 100's in AZ...Hope this helps..
Old 07-12-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: cooling issues in this heat!! (Redwidow)

Yep, been having the same issues for about a year now.
LS/VTEC with 10psi is fine just sitting there but after ~20 mins of freeway, starts climbing up. Heater is only thing that brings it back down. This is an A/C car so there goes that.

PWR rad here too. Changed thermostat and fan swtich. Bled the damn thing a million times. Cometic HG. FAL fan. Still no luck.

Maybe I'm asking too much from it but I'm getting the mani/compressor over to HPC and gonna wrap the **** out of the new 3" dp.

If that doesn't help, I'm gonna try throwing the stock rad back on. Wanted to free up some space for a Full-Race manifold in the future and supposedly the PWR is 1/2 length 2x core which should = stock full length 1x core but who knows.

Maybe the Full-Race guys can post. I think they have some daily drivers with that setup.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: cooling issues in this heat!! (Boofster)

just a fyi..don't look for the thermal coating to solve your problems!!! It is not underhood temps that causing your problem.

I have everything thermal coated and still had overheating problems!

I recently found out what it was, t-stat was bad AND I had bubbles in my cooling system. I replace t stat and bled system big time and now no problems.

Seriously, your just overlooking something that I listed earlier, its one of those reasons.

just for extra peace of mind, I'm also installing an oil cooler as soon as they come in mail.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just treid something in my car -- i put a NSX radiator cap on my PWR radiator and got water temps to drop about 8 degrees. Also, coating things is an excellent idea!
Old 07-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: cooling issues in this heat!! (Full-Race Geoff)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full-Race Geoff &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just treid something in my car -- i put a NSX radiator cap on my PWR radiator and got water temps to drop about 8 degrees.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wonder where you got that idea, Geoff.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: cooling issues in this heat!! (Andrea)

I got a Spoon 1.35 radiator cap the other day (TypeF fits PWR) so we'll see if that does anything.

Geoff do any of your daily drivers with PWR survive the heat?
Old 07-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i live in southern california and i didnt have any problems. i had a normal sized radiator for a prelude, which is like 2x the size of a civic radiator. it was a top mount turbo and i had 2 slim fans. only time i had heating problems was when my thermostat went bad. fixed it and everything was fine.
Old 07-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wire a switch to keep your fans on constantly
Old 07-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 94 gsr with a drag kit..no coolin problems unless i use my ac even on the freeway..if i don't use the ac it works fine highest temps on the hondata said 228 even sittin in traffic in HOT AS HELL AZ...i was usin the stock raditor and the FAL fan kit.....i don't recommend wiring stock fans a pusher fans..that just brings hot engine bay air over your raditor plus the stock fans wernt designs to act as pushers....just my 2 cents