Notices

Cooling Issue in Darton Sleeved GSR, Advice needed!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Icon2 Cooling Issue in Darton Sleeved GSR, Advice needed!

Having a very strange issue , I can drive the car around town at 188-190 ( going by the tunerveiw) But as soon as I get on the highway temps will get up to 210- and start going up. This is not under boost this is just easy cruising on the highway. Heres a run down on the set-up.

Koyo Rad
Heat wrapped Downpipe and Dumptube
Peakboost Ramhorn (jet coated)
FAL Fan wired in through the Hondata S300

I recently Switched over to 80% Water , 10% Anti Freeze, And 1 Bottle of water wetter, This did nothing really .

Could this be a strange thermostat issue ? Bottom hose is hot , Im almost Positive I have all air bled out of the system. Intercooler is pretty big and covering some of the radiator but im not sure that is the issue.

Any ideas guys? This problem never happend untill summer time came along .

Thanks guys
Old 07-09-2013, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cooling Issue in Darton Sleeved GSR, Advice needed!

verify your thermostat is working properly, if the driver side is open for air to flow through the radiator will not get enough airflow and it will not cooler on the highway. What chassis is this in? I've delt with cooling issues in several chassis. Ill help you out just give me more info and ill walk you through it. You'll get a bunch of people telling you to throw money at it and everything you have is garbage and need to redo it all but work with me and ill work with you to figure it out. You may have to change parts but lets diagnose it first.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree. Given the details of what you have it does sound like a classic airflow issue, but check the basics first.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
verify your thermostat is working properly, if the driver side is open for air to flow through the radiator will not get enough airflow and it will not cooler on the highway. What chassis is this in? I've delt with cooling issues in several chassis. Ill help you out just give me more info and ill walk you through it. You'll get a bunch of people telling you to throw money at it and everything you have is garbage and need to redo it all but work with me and ill work with you to figure it out. You may have to change parts but lets diagnose it first.
Thanks man , i appreciate any help I can get . Car is a 92 civic hatchback
Old 07-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Runnerdown
I agree. Given the details of what you have it does sound like a classic airflow issue, but check the basics first.
Going to do a oem Tstat this weekend just to rule that out
Old 07-10-2013, 04:52 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I'm thinking more of the fact that its water, and the FAL fan. At these temps distilled water's boiling points just don't transfer heat from the engine block very well.

I don't get over 195 with the same radiator, SPAL 13" fan, Garrett 24 x 12 x 3.5 intercooler and OEM Thermostat. But my mixture is 70% OEM Honda coolant, 20% distilled water, and 10% water wetter.

Try the mixture and Fan first, as well as thermostat.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I'm thinking more of the fact that its water, and the FAL fan. At these temps distilled water's boiling points just don't transfer heat from the engine block very well.

I don't get over 195 with the same radiator, SPAL 13" fan, Garrett 24 x 12 x 3.5 intercooler and OEM Thermostat. But my mixture is 70% OEM Honda coolant, 20% distilled water, and 10% water wetter.

Try the mixture and Fan first, as well as thermostat.
Thanks for all the great info . My brother has been telling me to go with the Spal fan . Few questions , would you first try the new mixture and a oem thermostat and see how that goes ... Or 100% ditch the FAL for the Spal fan ? Thanks man
Old 07-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan

Hmmm, I'm gonna have to disagree with this for the following reasons:

Distilled water mixed with low amounts of antifreeze and a bottle of water wetter will transfer heat very effectively.

He recently switched out to the combination above and no changes were noted.

Gentle highway cruising should at no times require a fan. The cooling systems load under these conditions are not significantly higher then a stock car.

With these things in mind this is the action I would take:

Thermostat old or questionable? Replace it with oem.

Air definitely removed from system? Raise radiator cap to high location and cycle thermostat open for 5-10 min with cap off.

Cap holding pressure correctly? If its not the overflow tank will fill abnormally. Check or replace the cap.

Large intercooler blocking the airflow path to the radiator? The radiator core may be subject to stagnant air. Guide some through. TurboLS had good suggestions.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:07 PM

Distilled water mixed with low amounts of antifreeze and a bottle of water wetter will transfer heat very effectively.

Difference of experience I guess.. I'll let it go. What works for you and me may be different depending upon climate, humidity, elevation, etc. Point was to say there are small differences that may change his outcome.

Gentle highway cruising should at no times require a fan. The cooling systems load under these conditions are not significantly higher then a stock car.

It can, easily depending upon again, humidity, Intercooler fin type, radiator, and cooling fan used. to say it should not require a fan is just not accurate

I can co-sign to that

Air definitely removed from system? Raise radiator cap to high location and cycle thermostat open for 5-10 min with cap off.

and as its bubbling over from the use of water, it'll create a great mess. A Lisle Spill-free funnel will do a better job and get all the air out with control of the reaction

Cap holding pressure correctly? If its not the overflow tank will fill abnormally. Check or replace the cap.
Again.. I could agree with that.
Large intercooler blocking the airflow path to the radiator? The radiator core may be subject to stagnant air. Guide some through. TurboLS had good suggestions.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

spal fan on a relay with a good fan shroud.
i noticed a difference on mine.
if all else fails you can prob get a mezier electric water pump kit.
http://www.meziere.com/ps-1332-1268-wpk50022.aspx
Old 07-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here comes the just turn your fan on and let it constantly run posts. the car should NOT need a fan running all the time to stay cool. it should modulate depending on driving conditions IE driving stay off idle and slow speeds shouldnt need the fan.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man Im going to be getting a OEM Tstat in this weekend and can report back then
Old 07-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shodan I actually have that exact same funnel tool , Very convenient to use. Im going to start with the thermostat to eliminate that since it's the cheapest thing first, Is there any truth to people saying sleeved blocks are hard to get air bubbles out of? I was almost sure I had the car bled good, I couldnt get anymore bubbles to come out...
Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
here comes the just turn your fan on and let it constantly run posts. the car should NOT need a fan running all the time to stay cool. it should modulate depending on driving conditions IE driving stay off idle and slow speeds shouldnt need the fan.
Do you have any tips on how to get more air flow to the intercooler it's self?
Old 07-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a picture of the intercooler ( I know its not the best picture )

Also a picture of the turbo set-up prior to heat wrapping the dumptube

Old 07-11-2013, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by 93grayeg
Shodan .... Is there any truth to people saying sleeved blocks are hard to get air bubbles out of? I was almost sure I had the car bled good, I couldnt get anymore bubbles to come out...
Nope. No truth in that Sleeved blocks are more difficult to remove air from the coolant system.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is the manifold wrapped or just dump tube ? I would wrap that dump tube twice it's close. You need to
Block off the driver side next to the radiator air will also flow path of least resistance so blocking that off forces air to the radiator. If there is an air gap on the bottom of the car between the intercooler and radiator close that up too