Notices

compound charged built GSR opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default compound charged built GSR opinions.

Hey

Want to try someting different here in UK for my EG9. Want to do a compound or series turbo setup for my civic. Running a built B18C4 (GSR-ish) with stock sleeves. Want about 500ish bhp but good spool etc as gets used on track lots as oppssed to drag. It will attract the crowds here too which is kinda what I need to build for as I work for Race-tech. Thinking of using Bullseye 248/256 and then either a 366 or 372 for the largr one. Want to use single 60mm or twin 46mm gates. Any input guys? Marc
Old 05-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: compound charged built GSR opinions.

nobody?
Old 05-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make 500 on stock sleeves then try it.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MR.johnson
make 500 on stock sleeves then try it.
You mean dont compound it? Really wanna try it. Just wondered if anyone on here had done it etc...
Old 05-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its been done. but not worth it. look at any fast honda. all singles.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I can make a broader power band with a compound setup. A 10 sec drag car and a track car are two different animals. Most of the fast cars on here would get eaten by some NA Honda's on track. I did 400whp on my last build but was too laggy, didnt wake up till after 5500rpm. I want good bottom end and strong top end, think this may work. Who tried it? Ill check them out? Cant find anything on youtube/here?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a gt28r and a gt35r would work a little nicer. spool fast until the 35r catches up at about 5k rpm. i looked into it for a little while. i just said screw it and bout a dbb 6262 billet. thats what brake boosting and preloading is for.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nonpoint986
a gt28r and a gt35r would work a little nicer. spool fast until the 35r catches up at about 5k rpm. i looked into it for a little while. i just said screw it and bout a dbb 6262 billet. thats what brake boosting and preloading is for.
We just did a sleeved b16 for a customer on a 6262, they are laggy on 16's, but my god do they kick hard when then come in. It was mega!! Just waiting to hear from a guy from bullseye before i decide what to run. IL keep u posted. I think it will be good.

http://www.atsdiesel.com/ats2/templa...029422272&c=36

Basic idea of it is here for anyone interested and unsure of what i mean.

Last edited by MadVTI; 05-10-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How do you plan on applying your broad powerband to the ground? As much as I love FWD Honda's they will always be traction limited in lower gears, 400tq at 3k rpm will be completely useless. Also where do you plan on fitting all of this at? I have seen a few compound setups they are a maze of plumbing, flanges and everything else.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

should be okay

Last edited by MadVTI; 05-10-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Il run 17" slicks on track off BTCC cars, it puts it down pretty well so Im not too worried about that. Also will have boost by gear so makes life easier. Im gonna put larger one in front bumper back door style. The Slam panel will have to go like, but like our sister car we have here, we will prob make a full alloy cooler/rad/slam panel front end in one assembly that bolts on to chassis legs. They look cool as. Mani and stuff isnt that complex TBH. Hardest part is turbo sizing to ensure efficient.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so your going to dial out all the low end gains with boost by gear, so whats the point of all of this besides a bling factor and adding unnecessary weight?
Old 05-11-2011, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I'm weird, but on the track I only need a 3k powerband on reasonable gearing.

If you drive like you should spool time should'nt be much of an issue. If you find yourself mashing the throttle and waiting for spool to happen, you drive like a moron!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wolve
Maybe I'm weird, but on the track I only need a 3k powerband on reasonable gearing.

If you drive like you should spool time should'nt be much of an issue. If you find yourself mashing the throttle and waiting for spool to happen, you drive like a moron!
on the drag strip you're correct, with the right gearing this is true

i think a lot of guys are bringing street related comments in, almost would have to be
Old 05-11-2011, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racebum
on the drag strip you're correct
i was talking about circuit racing

if your driving along the race line and you are approaching the clipping point in the right gear you should'nt be that low in your gear (on a honda there's no need to drop below 6000rpm), when reaching the clipping point you're already feeding in the power as traction alows and there's no wait for spool as you're already slowly feeding in the power.

if you drive like a moron you'll find yourself mashing the throttle somewhere and waiting for boost. if you know how to drive you won't have that problem.

also gearing is key to stay in your powerband
Old 05-11-2011, 07:46 AM
Man U FTW

You're going about this all wrong. Why would you try to make 500hp from two turbos, when the smaller of which (s256) can already reach the goal you have set? If anything, you would run an S258 as the larger of the two turbochargers with something smaller, say a GT2871r running into and spooling the larger turbo. Having said that, i'm not accounting for the synergistic goodness that happens in compound setups...the larger turbo doesn't need to be even as large as the s258 since the smaller turbo will also be adding to the overall flow. To find the golden combination for your car/goals, you'll need to talk with someone a little more versed in fluid dynamics and turbocharger systems. A few people come to mind: TheShodan, Tony1 and Tony the Tiger (all HT members)
Old 05-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
You're going about this all wrong. Why would you try to make 500hp from two turbos, when the smaller of which (s256) can already reach the goal you have set? If anything, you would run an S258 as the larger of the two turbochargers with something smaller, say a GT2871r running into and spooling the larger turbo. Having said that, i'm not accounting for the synergistic goodness that happens in compound setups...the larger turbo doesn't need to be even as large as the s258 since the smaller turbo will also be adding to the overall flow. To find the golden combination for your car/goals, you'll need to talk with someone a little more versed in fluid dynamics and turbocharger systems. A few people come to mind: TheShodan, Tony1 and Tony the Tiger (all HT members)
Im aware of that mate, the issue is the smaller cored turbo's cant take the extra loading on the shafts/bearings caused by the nature of the setup. Its not as easy as it looks as u state. Not only are the turbo flow characteristics important, but more so the core size so that its can handle the load. Its not easy to choose a combination based on just how they react on their own as the same turbo's can be very different once used as a team, probably why its unpopular as its could end up being *****. I just fancy the challenge and TBH just want to try it for the fun of it. Also good experience and thought some of u would find it interesting. Cheers for everyones imput.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You dont need that much power. Look at William Chans setup. That makes not a whole lot more then 300whp and he is crushing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaITwajoilA
Old 05-14-2011, 01:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
You dont need that much power. Look at William Chans setup. That makes not a whole lot more then 300whp and he is crushing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaITwajoilA
Wow, thats impressive mate. Cheers for that. il look into it.