Notices

GT28RS or GT3076? B18c1 91oct No track days, no autocross, and no drag racing;

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GT28RS or GT3076? B18c1 91oct No track days, no autocross, and no drag racing;

(I am a total noob at all of this, and it may seem like I want to be spoonfed information, but I honestly just want your opinions.)

I'm currently putting together a parts list for my dream build, and I'm conflicted on what turbo setup I should have. I don't even have the car to make this build a reality, so laugh at me all you want, but I just want to figure out EXACTLY what I want before dumping any money into this project. (I'm a broke college student, so this build will last throughout my entire life.)

Keeping in mind the aspects of performance, reliability, and aesthetic/bling, I've narrowed it down to two choices: the GT28RS or the GT3076R. The majority of threads I find online that reference these turbos are in the context of drag racing and constant dyno runs, but neither of those are what I'm going for. I want a fun daily driver that also kicks *** on the street, with power delivery that's somewhat manageable rather than a ludicrous jump in power while doing pulls. Horsepower? I don't know, anywhere between 276 to 376? I know this isn't how it works, but I would like to shoot for a PSI between 6 and 16 to reach that horsepower range. (Really arbitrary numbers, I know.) No track days, no autocross, and no drag racing; just old school "Fast and Furious" wannabe racer fun. That being said, what would get me closer to such a goal on a fully built B18C1 with 91 pump gas: the GT28 or GT30?
Old 06-27-2019, 06:21 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: GT28RS or GT3076? B18c1 91oct No track days, no autocross, and no drag racing;

The GT28RS is the turbo that you want to use for street. Quick spool and good torque curve that will produce 250~300hp with ease. You can actually get more than 300hp with the right parts and tuning.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: GT28RS or GT3076? B18c1 91oct No track days, no autocross, and no drag racing;

Originally Posted by Dee
The GT28RS is the turbo that you want to use for street. Quick spool and good torque curve that will produce 250~300hp with ease. You can actually get more than 300hp with the right parts and tuning.
Thanks for your input! My main concern with the GT28RS though is that I would have to use log or bottom mount manifold. I'm not sure what the performance drawbacks of those manifolds would be, but one thing that attracted me to having the GT3076R was using a top mount manifold. It gives easier access to the turbo along with looking really nice in the engine bay. But, if it means having better street performance, I'll steer towards the GT28RS. I'm still gonna wait for other replies though!
Old 06-27-2019, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Talk with Go autoworks email them this thread/ questions.

GO-AUTOWORKS LLC - WWW.GO-AUTOWORKs.COM

They just helped my buddy put together his dream setup and they were amazing with there service and fabrication I highly recommend you do the same. If you can run E85 fuel/ flex fuel do it! cause that 91 pump is going to hold you back regardless! Boost and 91 are not the best of friends they will get along but E85 is great you can make more HP on less boost which is always good.. I still need to do the same but then again I don't drive my kit car more than once a week so im ok with pump gas 91 but I could deff benefit from it.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr

They just helped my buddy put together his dream setup and they were amazing with there service and fabrication I highly recommend you do the same. If you can run E85 fuel/ flex fuel do it! cause that 91 pump is going to hold you back regardless! Boost and 91 are not the best of friends they will get along but E85 is great you can make more HP on less boost which is always good.. I still need to do the same but then again I don't drive my kit car more than once a week so im ok with pump gas 91 but I could deff benefit from it.
Thanks for your input! I'll definitely hit them up! As for the E85, I'll go for it if it's the most efficient route. However, gas mileage is definitely gonna be hurting because of it. I'm not too sure about using E85 also because there's a lot of debate on fuel availability in California. Some people say 93, E85, etc. is all over the place, but others say that 91 is the highest octane fuel that's readily available. I've never looked into it myself, but I've only ever seen 91 around where I live.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by KilowattBandit
Thanks for your input! I'll definitely hit them up! As for the E85, I'll go for it if it's the most efficient route. However, gas mileage is definitely gonna be hurting because of it. I'm not too sure about using E85 also because there's a lot of debate on fuel availability in California. Some people say 93, E85, etc. is all over the place, but others say that 91 is the highest octane fuel that's readily available. I've never looked into it myself, but I've only ever seen 91 around where I live.
There's a phone app you can down load that shows all the gas stations near you that have E85 fuel! 91 is usually the highest I've seen in CA.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Re: GT28RS or GT3076? B18c1 91oct No track days, no autocross, and no drag racing;

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr

From the desire/info/selection given I'd also lean towards the GT2860RS here (though there is a lot more to it than just the turbo...). Broad power, responsive, sub 400hp...the GT28 will be fine. Your concern for "top mount for aesthetics" is fairly simple as well, both of the turbos mentioned are available with a interchangeable housings...both would fit whatever manifold you want basically the same. (for example, we use T3 5 bolt/B cover GT28s and GT30s just as we use T3 vband outlet GT28s and GT30s w/ E covers...it just depends on the setup and space constraints)
Old 06-28-2019, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: GT28RS or GT3076? B18c1 91oct No track days, no autocross, and no drag racing;

I hadn't thought of a topmount GT2860. That's an interesting idea. Would be neat to see aesthetically AND perfomance wise. I'm in this for updates!
Old 06-28-2019, 06:24 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
I hadn't thought of a topmount GT2860. That's an interesting idea. Would be neat to see aesthetically AND perfomance wise. I'm in this for updates!
It wasn't. check the archives from 7 years ago, on both top mounted and Kooks styled manifolds. most used too large of a turbine housing. It possessed all the detriments you'd expect, and none of the advantages.

Trends revolve in cycles... This was one trend I'm glad went away.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Autoworks

From the desire/info/selection given I'd also lean towards the GT2860RS here (though there is a lot more to it than just the turbo...). Broad power, responsive, sub 400hp...the GT28 will be fine. Your concern for "top mount for aesthetics" is fairly simple as well, both of the turbos mentioned are available with a interchangeable housings...both would fit whatever manifold you want basically the same. (for example, we use T3 5 bolt/B cover GT28s and GT30s just as we use T3 vband outlet GT28s and GT30s w/ E covers...it just depends on the setup and space constraints)
Thanks for your input! In that case, I'm pretty much set on getting a GT28, then. I don't know much about different housing sizes, trim, etc. but I think maybe I kinda sort of get what you're saying? So, I can basically have a GT28/T3 hybrid that can bolt right up to a T3 manifold no issue? I would assume that it would still be the size of a GT28, not a T3.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
It wasn't. check the archives from 7 years ago, on both top mounted and Kooks styled manifolds. most used too large of a turbine housing. It possessed all the detriments you'd expect, and none of the advantages.

Trends revolve in cycles... This was one trend I'm glad went away.
Thanks for your input! That's interesting to hear, so I'll definitely keep this in mind. I'm new to all this, but what type of detriments are we talking about here? In the meantime, I'll look through the old threads that you mentioned and see what information I can find there.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:08 AM

Thanks for your input! That's interesting to hear, so I'll definitely keep this in mind. I'm new to all this, but what type of detriments are we talking about here? In the meantime, I'll look through the old threads that you mentioned and see what information I can find there.
*slow response times in between gears
* terrible combination for top end output (might as well use a larger turbocharger)
*Combination not meant for that purpose (or any, for that matter)

Nothing will physically be wrong with the unit, but you'll hate it thinking you're going to get top-end power PLUS "fast spool, y0!".
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-28-2019, 07:40 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

- GT28
- Mini ram manifold
- E85

Done.

Honestly though I wouldn't worry much about the gas mileage on E85. Make sure your tune includes driveability with closed loop enabled so it maintains good AFR for cruising and idle. I still average about 28-30mpg and I go at least 50% throttle from every stop just to hear the spoolies
Old 06-28-2019, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by 2x0
- GT28
- Mini ram manifold or even log manifold. (tubular preferred)
- E85

Done.

Honestly though I wouldn't worry much about the gas mileage on E85. Make sure your tune includes driveability with closed loop enabled so it maintains good AFR for cruising and idle. I still average about 28-30mpg and I go at least 50% throttle from every stop just to hear the spoolies
Lest we forget the lessons of the "OGs"..

Old 06-28-2019, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

*slow response times in between gears
* terrible combination for top end output (might as well use a larger turbocharger)
*Combination not meant for that purpose (or any, for that matter)

Nothing will physically be wrong with the unit, but you'll hate it thinking you're going to get top-end power PLUS "fast spool, y0!".
I see. I suppose I could deal with a little bit of lag, but I would definitely be disappointed if I were to be doing pulls only to find that there's no top end power. Thanks for informing me!
Old 06-28-2019, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I see. I suppose I could deal with a little bit of lag, but I would definitely be disappointed if I were to be doing pulls only to find that there's no top end power. Thanks for informing me!
It will have great low and mid for sure. A good setup with this turbo is fun. I had one on my 240sx back in the day and it was a blast! It will give great low end torque, like, put you back in the seat torque. Really fast spool and it will roast tires.. It just doesn't have high top end without pushing it to the very end of its rope. Think I was pushing 15 or 16 psi. You can see around 350whp with the right supporting mods but again, you're pushing it to its limits. When we find a teggy for the wife, this is the turbo I'm am going with for her..
Old 06-28-2019, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
- GT28
- Mini ram manifold
- E85

Done.

Thanks for your input! I'll look into closed vs. open loop tunes. Are you running a stock motor or is it built?
Old 06-28-2019, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for your input! Is that guy for real? I always thought that running a turbo with a high compression ration was a bad thing? The first video also says that he's using Toda Spec B cams, which I thought were too aggressive for forced induction builds? My guess is that he's running low boost...
Old 06-28-2019, 04:32 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Thanks for your input! I'll look into closed vs. open loop tunes. Are you running a stock motor or is it built?
Forged internals, but running T3/T4 57 trim, and a tubular log manifold. Which as Shodan corrected would also be a great manifold for the gt28.
Old 06-28-2019, 05:48 PM

Thanks for your input! Is that guy for real? I always thought that running a turbo with a high compression ration was a bad thing? The first video also says that he's using Toda Spec B cams, which I thought were too aggressive for forced induction builds? My guess is that he's running low boost...
yep. he's for real, but that was long before good turbocharger camshafts were available. most of us run about 10.0:1 and higher. the days of low compression for boost are long gone, my friend
The following users liked this post:
Old 06-29-2019, 03:39 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

the days of low compression for boost are long gone, my friend
Maybe so for those in the know, but have you seen the FB groups? It's all "SF no-notch rods / Vitara / EMusa" everything, lol.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Maybe so for those in the know, but have you seen the FB groups? It's all "SF no-notch rods / Vitara / EMusa" everything, lol.
The SF no notch/vitara combo is pretty cost friendly for rods and pistons. I wouldnt run Vitaras ever though, given it's a cast piston. Nope, just not a chance I'm willing to take again. EMusa.. Meh, I had luck with a cheap turbo kit but, wanted more than it would be reliable for and ended up spending more for better. It was good to learn on, so I justify my extra cost with experience gained. Lol!
Old 06-30-2019, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by DaX
As Txdragon stated, it may be the rage in cheap builds but for those that want better reliability and long term utility, I feel that my statement still holds true from many years of surviving trendy parts builds.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:06 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

As Txdragon stated, it may be the rage in cheap builds but for those that want better reliability and long term utility, I feel that my statement still holds true from many years of surviving trendy parts builds.
We're on the same page. The FB vibe is just crazy. I want my stuff to LAST.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by DaX
We're on the same page. The FB vibe is just crazy..............
Ain't it, though?

Last edited by TheShodan; 07-01-2019 at 08:24 PM.