Notices

completely | totally | absolutely | undoubtedly | stock chassis, suspension, exhaust + turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default completely | totally | absolutely | undoubtedly | stock chassis, suspension, exhaust + turbo

Some of you may scoff at this, but I'm curious. I searched the archives with several criteria (e.g. stock AND (completely OR totally OR absolutely) --> FI forum) and found nothing that indicated (well, obviously at least) anyone who posts on this board was running an otherwise stock car with a turbo. I do remember reading about one person's car a while back who had something of the sort, but I didn't take note...

And when I say stock, I mean that the car must be riding on a stock like-suspension (say, stock springs & oem-like dampers on OEM size wheels with reasonable tires) and have a stock-like exhaust (the only thing that may/should be different is the fact that a turbo lies between the exhaust manifold and downpipe). I'm looking for people who have an engine with stock internal parts (in other words, only OEM parts and construction... no aftermarket sleeves). Any upgrades made to the exterior of the engine are fine (e.g. non-OEM injectors, intake manifold, etc.). But if you have an engine with mods, that's fine too. I'm more interested in others' experiences with a stock suspension/exhaust setup combined with the turbo engine. And yes, I did read 50 or so threads regarding the use of a stock exhaust with a turbo engine.

If you have a setup which fits this profile--or even if it's not too far off--post up and give specs on the setup and your car. If you have a dyno chart and/or timeslips, put those up too. Also make any comments on how you like the car/setup. The reason I'm asking this question in the first place is because I am considering doing it to my car in the future, just for the hell of it.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Banned

Default Re: completely | totally | absolutely | undoubtedly | stock chassis, suspension, exhaust + turbo (md

not really sure what you are getting at.
but i had a stock b18b with a gsr tranny and a t3/to4b in a bone stock 95 civic coupe with del sol 14's, stock suspension, and a 3 in exhaust. EVERYTHING else was stock. would lift the front end some when you would hit it in 5th on the highway, which was kinda neat i guess. i did run a 12.7 @107 on slicks with it though, everything else was the same
Old 01-13-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: completely | totally | absolutely | undoubtedly | stock chassis, suspension, exhaust + turbo (md

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Burke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not really sure what you are getting at.
but i had a stock b18b with a gsr tranny and a t3/to4b in a bone stock 95 civic coupe with del sol 14's, stock suspension, and a 3 in exhaust. EVERYTHING else was stock. would lift the front end some when you would hit it in 5th on the highway, which was kinda neat i guess. i did run a 12.7 @107 on slicks with it though, everything else was the same</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry if I'm not being clear. However, you told me exactly what I wanted to know. Do you know what power/torque your engine was making at the time? Thanks for the response.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Banned

not sure what power or torque. all i can say it was a very rich untuned uberdata map running 11 psi on that turbo.
was one hell of a sleeper
Old 01-13-2005, 08:47 PM

I have everything completly stock except I cut the bumper a little for the intercooler to look better. Performance wise the only modification is the exhaust which is a 3" with only a resonator and no muffler or cat so that does make better spool up and HP. Otherwise Everything else is BONE stock, interior and all. I run Uberdata at 9 PSI on a t3/t04e 57 trim. I prolly make around 255-265whp depend on how off I am on my timing (since that is where a lot of power comes from) I run fairly conservative at .8 retarding per PSI. If you want the complete setup ask away. You can do the whole completly stock thing.....many many many do that EXCEPT for the exaust. You really can squezze a lot of HP and spool up time with a wider one.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:04 PM

I have everything completly stock except I cut the bumper a little for the intercooler to look better. Performance wise the only modification is the exhaust which is a 3" with only a resonator and no muffler or cat so that does make better spool up and HP. Otherwise Everything else is BONE stock, interior and all. I run Uberdata at 9 PSI on a t3/t04e 57 trim. I prolly make around 255-265whp depend on how off I am on my timing (since that is where a lot of power comes from) I run fairly conservative at .8 retarding per PSI. If you want the complete setup ask away. You can do the whole completly stock thing.....many many many do that EXCEPT for the exaust. You really can squezze a lot of HP and spool up time with a wider one.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:29 AM

I have a '94 Honda Civic EX that I have done nothing else to except turbo. Still rockin' the stock hubcaps and all. However, when I tried to stick with stock exhaust, I found I could barely spool the turbo, and it maxed at 5psi. Once I switched to a straight through cat and 2.5" exhaust, that was taken care of. I now have a stock muffler that I put on from time to time when I want it real quiet, or I put on the bigger one if I get sick of the lag.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ibiza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a '94 Honda Civic EX that I have done nothing else to except turbo. Still rockin' the stock hubcaps and all. However, when I tried to stick with stock exhaust, I found I could barely spool the turbo, and it maxed at 5psi. Once I switched to a straight through cat and 2.5" exhaust, that was taken care of. I now have a stock muffler that I put on from time to time when I want it real quiet, or I put on the bigger one if I get sick of the lag.</TD></TR></TABLE>

See what i mean about the exhuast.

If you want the speelper look you can always have a none working muffler hooked up. I was thinking of doing this to keep the stock look
Old 01-14-2005, 10:40 AM

Yeah, I wanted to do stock exhaust so bad...but it just doesn't work. Now, even when I put a stock muffler (GSR) back on, I leave the 2.5" piping and test pipe on, which limits power, but not as bad as stock exhaust.

Turbos need to breathe!!
Old 01-14-2005, 11:01 AM

Look at my sig.. I used a stock d16y7 motor in a stock suspension crx with 2 blow struts(no dash or door panels)..
Old 01-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my motor is internally 100% stock and has never been opened. I don't see any logical reason to try to boost an n/a honda and keep the stock exhaust, unless you are looking for low power output and a slow car. Check my webpage for more details on my car.

If for some-odd reason you still decide to pursue a stock exhaust turbo honda, then at least get an e-cutout.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:38 AM

Default Re: (ForceFedDetroit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ForceFedDetroit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my motor is internally 100% stock and has never been opened. I don't see any logical reason to try to boost an n/a honda and keep the stock exhaust, unless you are looking for low power output and a slow car. Check my webpage for more details on my car.

If for some-odd reason you still decide to pursue a stock exhaust turbo honda, then at least get an e-cutout.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed.. I enjoy pushing the limits of a stock block with good tuning and all that just to see where the limit is.. But there are some things(exhaust) that you just cant keep stock.. On my crx I was running a 13.9 with stock exhaust and a shitty downpipe @ 8psi.. I got custom 3" exhaust from cat back and 3" cat and 2.5" exhaust from my turbo to the cat.. On the very next pass I ran a 13.1 so exhaust does make a massive difference..
Old 01-14-2005, 12:06 PM

not gonna find to many turbo cars with stock exhaust. its a cheap and easy upgrade. $100-$150 from any exhaust shop.