Notices

choosing engine mangement!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default choosing engine mangement!!!!!!

first off i have obd2 98 integra Ls with stock internals...with greddy tdo5 18G turbo kit on it....
instead of 310 injectors i have 440cc injectors so i would either need to get a computer or new injectors ebcause its running RICH *** hell with the blue box.....
im thinking about being boosted for about a year or 2 then get a gsr motor for track use...... the question i have is i want to learn how to tune at the same time so im thinking about getting a computer..... choice i have is basically hondata s200 or s300 or which ever compuyter is user friendly......
what computer is more user friendly??? s200 or s300??? im going to get help from professional but will try to tune myself..... also do i need to get a obd1 ecu or can i just get a obd2 to obd1 conecctor???
Old 11-13-2007, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: choosing engine mangement!!!!!! (xiLLtegRax)

bump~~~
Old 11-13-2007, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not to be mean but it would help you to search about 3 or 4 pages on your own.

as for answer hondata S300 is very user friendly, and you would need a obd2 to odb1 adaptor.
since your also learning how to tune yourself maybe you should experiment with some freeware like uberdata, crome, or neptune NOT rtp.
to be honest most people on this site hate megasquirt but i find that its the best to learn how to tune almost any car, because it basically teaches YOU step by step.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tony413)

bump
Old 11-14-2007, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (xiLLtegRax)

You have lots of choices depending on whether its obd1 or 2.I will have to say you can get uberdata,crome,hondata,turboedit there are tons to use.You are going to get some advise on here but people that spent long hours trying to learn this stuff on their own arent going to be that open to you when you cant spend fifteen minutes searching for the types of systems you can use.I am just letting you know since I was in your shoes once and three years later and I still dont know crap compared to the guys on here.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends a lot on your budget and what options you need. I personally have run Crome for 2 seasons without trouble. I would like to upgrade to a Neptune or Hondata system in the future...they are more user friendly and allow me to make subtle changes without reburning a chip.

For example, the last track day of the year (that i was able to make) i couldn't launch well on slicks because my 2 step was set too low. It is geared towards letting me launch on the street/strip with my drag radials. Seeing as i'm using Crome, there's nothing i can do other than change it and reburn another chip. If i was running Hondata, i could plug in my laptop and with a click here and there, switch it and go about my day.

In the end, its all about what is worth your money. At first, it wasn't worth it to me to have an EMS that i could manipulate; however, as i've gotten more into turbo setups, i do want something i can play with on my own.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This might be a good starting point for you: http://www.evans-tuning.com/te....html.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Man U FTW

Default Re: choosing engine mangement!!!!!! (Andrea)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Andrea &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This might be a good starting point for you: http://www.evans-tuning.com/te....html. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good read! I didnt know that AEM had so many options...a lot more than most of the competition too.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact some local dyno tuners & go from there.
ectune, neptune, hondata, aem etc...
Old 11-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: choosing engine mangement!!!!!! (mtber)

the thing is that i am basically going to be boosted on my LSt for about year or two and within that time of period i am trying to save up fro a swap possible GSR swap..... the reason of this is because 1st i have really high mileage on my ls and 2nd is that im really trying to get into track (road course) and turbo cars would be no good...... but anyways im trying to get a management that is capable of tuning both boosted and NA car(which most mangements do or with have options for boost) and also can let me learn and educate me a bit on tuning..... thats why im leaning towards s300 hondata since everyone says its probably jmost user friendly.....
more opinions will be great
Old 11-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If we are going based on opinion, here is my list.

Neptune or Standalone.

Why? All the other options I have problems with their ethics.

Features wise/functionability:

Ecutune
Neptune
Hondata s300
Crome
Old 11-14-2007, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: choosing engine mangement!!!!!! (nowtype)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nowtype &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If we are going based on opinion, here is my list.

Neptune or Standalone.

Why? All the other options I have problems with their ethics.

Features wise/functionability:

Ecutune
Neptune
Hondata s300
Crome</TD></TR></TABLE>

umm i didnt understand what your tring to say. you like neptune but you dont like "their" ethics as well as the others you listed
Old 11-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: choosing engine mangement!!!!!! (tony413)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony413 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

umm i didnt understand what your tring to say. you like neptune but you dont like "their" ethics as well as the others you listed </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think Neptune is the most ethical of the bunch and is a solid system, which is why I would choose to use that system but if I was basing things just on function and features, I would go by the list where ECUtune seems most powerful.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:38 PM

There is no better support out there than that given by James of HRTuning for Neptune.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alphajesse)

any input from the hondata s300 users???
Old 11-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Man U FTW

Default Re: (xiLLtegRax)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xiLLtegRax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any input from the hondata s300 users???</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its a good program. I have no first hand experience with it however. It has tons of options, good tech support because its Hondata, and plenty of capable tuners use it. The real question is this: Will you get your money's worth from Hondata or would you be just as well off with something like Crome? Ive run Crome for 2 years and haven't had any problems yet....
Old 11-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Banned

Default Re: (Schister66)

I dont think you can go wrong with the Hondata S300 or Neptune RTP. Were not to far and we tune Neptune RTP and stock them. You'd have to buy your own hondata unit and we can tune it for you as well.

You might also want to check out "tempest racing" there in md and can tune really good too. Dotn know how far they are from you, but wont hurt to ask them.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Schister66)

I'm preferential to using the S100/S200 or S300, and then AEM EMS if necessary because you need to add secondary injectors, use a different timing mechanism, a better datalogger, or run multiple coils.

Aside from that, the S300 does everything you need if you plan on staying with a single coil ignition and sequentially run only one set of four injectors.

It's the simplest, easiest to use, most heavily featured, and affordable system out right now.

The anti-lag launch control works great. You can set it up to build a fair amount of boost for probably almost any sized turbo. It only takes 5 minutes to dial in the setting on a medium-sized turbo to get it to build 10 to 15psi of boost or more.

Secondary maps, PWM boost control and boost by gear are also good features. Then you have the potential to add custom inputs and outputs for input switches, additional actuator control, EGT input, etc. It's a really powerful system short of going with a standalone unit.

It's better than the S100/S200/ROMEditor V3/4 because it's less cumbersome, you get a lot more features, you can add and edit column and row headers to change the RPM and load breakpoints, and have more control over corrections. The S100/S200 are still good tho because of their simplicity. Skip the S100 because datalogging is a must have.

The only thing I don't like about the S300 is that you don't get fan control (not real necessary tho) and the IAT compensation doesn't seem to help you much if the ambient temperature changes by more than 30 degrees. I still need to work on that more to see if I can make it work properly for us, if at all.

Honata tech support isn't exceptionally great, but they can sometimes be insightful and helpful.

I don't like Crome or Uberdata. Uberdata is very basic, and Crome has a lot of empty features. I don't trust either is my biggest issue..

I've never tuned a car on NepTune, but the software seems to run slower than the SManager software and it's not as GUI friendly. It does have some features that the S300 doesn't have that may be useful.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IN VTEC)

so i would have to get a obd1 ls ecu with the harness conversion to make this work huh???? anyone selling with the s300????