Notices

check valve AND vafc returned no results

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default check valve AND vafc returned no results

Does anyone run their setup like this? Is it possible to run over ~10psi with this setup without a CEL?

450cc injectors
Old 01-19-2005, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: check valve AND vafc returned no results (flood)

We run just the AFC and 450 dsm's. 20 psi of boost on a Volvo T3, no check engine light.
It's not a recommended setup, though. Go for Uberdata, TurboEdit, or Hondata, your motor will thank you.
What kind of turbo setup are you thinking about putting this on, btw?
Old 01-19-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Re: check valve AND vafc returned no results (Machine1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Machine1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We run just the AFC and 450 dsm's. 20 psi of boost on a Volvo T3, no check engine light. ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is just asking for some trouble, if that is all you are going by. Any ignition retard on there at all?

But I did run my setup at 10PSI, with a first gen VAFC and check valves on an FMU, and it ran without a check engine, but I took it off asap, I didn't like the way it drove. It was the best thing at the time. Just did it to get it running, so it can be done, I just haven't heard anyone trying 20 lbs on it before...
Old 01-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: check valve AND vafc returned no results (93turbo16)

its a 98 ex with forged internals and a block girddle. It has a 255 fuel pump, adj fuel pressure reg, 450cc tunertoys injectors, VAFCII, sparco intercooler, BOV.

When running ~11psi in 4th gear it will still throw the CEL. He wanted me to check out running a check valve AND the VAFC.

I believe that the AFC changes fuel based on RPM and not the MAP sensor so wouldn't you be able to run ALOT more boost and just increase fuel to compensate?

And yes I realize that hondata or uber is the way to go, and I believe he is saving for AEM. But ...well....
Old 01-19-2005, 02:33 PM

the afc changes the map value based on a rpm scale that is why you are throwing the check engine. THe vafc isn't knocking the map value down low enough to a value that it can handle. Please search for the thread J. Davis started on this with the ignition recurve, it is pretty easy to understand. With forged internals why not go with a real engine management systen? SAFC and VAFC just don't cut it anymore. Uberdata, crome, hondata are much better at keeping motors together and particularly better on the driveability, atleast mine was.

FOr those who have no idea what I am talking about

Ignition with safc explained. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=841443
Old 01-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: check valve AND vafc returned no results (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That is just asking for some trouble, if that is all you are going by. Any ignition retard on there at all?

But I did run my setup at 10PSI, with a first gen VAFC and check valves on an FMU, and it ran without a check engine, but I took it off asap, I didn't like the way it drove. It was the best thing at the time. Just did it to get it running, so it can be done, I just haven't heard anyone trying 20 lbs on it before... </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's been running strong at 20 lbs since thanksgiving, been to the track several times. We've been using the afc setup since the single cam (2 years, now). I know all about the advanced timing, cracked ring lands, etc. , It's been working fine for us, I just wouldn't recommend it for anyone else. Look in my sig if you wanna know the details, the afc stuff will be retired soon and replaced with uberdata.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:28 PM

good deal. I ran a safc untill uberdata came out, there just isn't a replacement to it, unless going hondata/aem.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the afc changes the map value based on a rpm scale that is why you are throwing the check engine. THe vafc isn't knocking the map value down low enough to a value that it can handle. Please search for the thread J. Davis started on this with the ignition recurve, it is pretty easy to understand. With forged internals why not go with a real engine management systen? SAFC and VAFC just don't cut it anymore. Uberdata, crome, hondata are much better at keeping motors together and particularly better on the driveability, atleast mine was.

FOr those who have no idea what I am talking about

Ignition with safc explained. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=841443 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah were going to put a standalone on it ASAP but the VAFC seems to be working great so far except the whole CEL thing. What he needs to do is get a wideband so we feel safe turning the correction down further and knowing it isn't going lean.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (flood)

if you are running vafc hack, you can't use a check valve, that defeats the whole purpose. the vafc need to see the actual presure and rescale the map voltage according to your settings on the vafc. if it never see possitive atmospheric pressure because of check valve, that means that it will run the same map no matter if it's 2 psi or 20 psi. the only way to run the vafc hack over 10 psi is to use a FMU setup like Machine1.

FYI, a complete uberdata setup would cost less than a vafc. $150 for a chipped p28 and $85 for a rom burner. it would cost even less if you chip the ecu yourself. if you are not comfortable with using uber at first, there are plenty of uber base maps with a similar setup to yours to start out with.

Modified by rice4life at 1:20 PM 1/20/2005
Old 01-20-2005, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (rice4life)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rice4life &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you are running vafc hack, you can't use a check valve, that defeats the whole purpose. the vafc need to see the actual presure and rescale the map voltage according to your settings on the vafc. if it never see possitive atmospheric pressure because of check valve, that means that it will run the same map no matter if it's 2 psi or 20 psi. the only way to run the vafc hack over 10 psi is to use a FMU setup like Machine1.

FYI, a complete uberdata setup would cost less than a vafc. $150 for a chipped p28 and $85 for a rom burner. it would cost even less if you chip the ecu yourself. if you are not comfortable with using uber at first, there are plenty of uber base maps with a similar setup to yours to start out with.

Modified by rice4life at 1:20 PM 1/20/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I suppose thats right. If you look at the ign maps in J.Davis's post the lower the MAP the higher the timing. If the check valve only allows the MAP sensor to see below boost and you correct that down even further the ECU would only advance the timing more. Hmmm. Shitty.

I think I am going to help my friend with uberdata. he is soooo totally against using anythign but AEM EMS that its kind of bad. I need to research uber more so I can inform him of how it works and what we need to do with it. Thanks for all your help guys.