Notices

Can someone explain to me what exact "Limp Mode" is?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 07:01 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone explain to me what exact "Limp Mode" is?

I been reading around trying to find out some information on limp mode. I might think its a problem a freind is having on his SI with a greddy kit. Basicaly, ever since he threw on a strait pipe, 3" exhaust and 3" downpipe, his car bogs so bad that it dies. He got it tuned on the dyno with a VAFC. He is still using the Greddy blue box, whatever injectors come with the kit, FMU, VAFC, 255lph high pressure pump and map by pass valve. Just wondering if anyone has any clue what the problem with his car could be or anything to remedy the current situation
Old 06-26-2002, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Can someone explain to me what exact "Limp Mode" is? (Zynentech)

I dont know what the problem with his car is, but I doubt it is in "Limp Mode"

Limp mode is when a sensor is not connected, or when it is taking a bad reading. It tells the ECU to go into limp mode, or safe mode. This means that it stops taking readings from the sensors, and goes off of internal pre-set values. What does this do? It is designed to make the car run just enough to get it to the dealership to get fixed.

If you are not sure if it is in limp mode, check to see if the check engine light is on, also... it usually idle's strangly (1500-2500 pulses) with increadibly poor throttle response. If it is in limp mode, the turbo might be too much restriction for the safe mode... (like someone hanging on the back of a guy on crutches). so try proping the wastegate open to see if it will allow it to limp.

To experience limp mode on an unmodified car, just disconnect the map sensor or the tps sensor, ull get what im talking about. (DO NOT DISCONNECT or RECONNECT sensor while the motor is running... it really sux)
Old 06-26-2002, 07:35 PM
New User

Default Re: Can someone explain to me what exact "Limp Mode" is? (B-Series Sol)

The check engine light is on. The throttle response is horrible. Basicaly he has to rev it to keep it from stalling. Any ideas. I am thinking the combination of his fuel control components has somethign to do with it. Who knows.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Can someone explain to me what exact "Limp Mode" is? (Zynentech)

If the Check Engine light is on do this:

1. Locate the Engine ECU
2. Locate the Green Rubber Boot that has 2 plugs going into it
3. Pull out the smaller of the two plugs (it should have two female leads inside it)
4. (with the car off) stick a paper clip in the two leads - to connect them
5. Start the car and the "engine light" will start blinking. Record its activity

This code is specific to the sensor that is taking the bad reading. Im not sure what code means what but im sure you can find it on the internet, or ask someone else here on honda tech. This will get you to the right sensor, it could just be loose. Its a start, its how a honda technician would find the problem.