Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clicking noise coming from engine! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise coming from engine! HELP!

Well, A while back i had my motor changed..Because it blew out...It's a d16 motor...Well anyways...When i got it changed, It made a clicking sound. The mechanic told me that it was nothing to worry about, So i took his word...Well, Lately the noise is getting worse..It makes my car sound like a total piece of ****..Like a loud lawn mower..It's real real REAL annoying. I changed the oil, I put lucas oil treatment on it..NOTHING..I asked my regular mechanic and he responded "Hondas all have clicking sounds" I bet they do but they can't sound this bad..It clicks until the motor gets warmer then it goes away...But it's really starting to scare me cause i don't want to put any more money into this piece of ****. So..Any ideas? I've read online that it could possibly be my lifters..I've read elsewhere that it could be that my header is cracked..Now i'm coming here to see what you guys think cause where i read those was in the BMW forums and the Dodge ram forums..Any ideas?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clicking noise coming from engine! HELP!

could be an exhaust leak.

could be valves out of adjustment..........valve adjustment is a quick and easy thing on a d16.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by newtron63h
could be an exhaust leak.

could be valves out of adjustment..........valve adjustment is a quick and easy thing on a d16.
Do you think it would be expensive to get that done? Would that cause a clicking noise till the motor heats up? It like makes a clicking sound and if i like push the gas fast enough it sounds like metal rubbing with metal for like a second.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ if its a clicking or ticking noise my guess would be your valves ticking. Especially since it starts to go away when it warms up
Old 03-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

shouldn't be that expensive. Its easy tho if u have basic mechanical knowledge u might be able to do it yourself
Old 03-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bgundy87
^^ if its a clicking or ticking noise my guess would be your valves ticking. Especially since it starts to go away when it warms up
Is it something i should worry about?, Any quick fixes?...Or fixes in general..lol
Old 03-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here's your fix look at your exhaust mani an see if u see a crack also u can open the hood and hear if its cracked if not have your valves adjed the other thing you can try is take to a honda dealer and ask if some one can listen to the noise for you if they want to charge you ne thing tell em no thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VihnSta2
Is it something i should worry about?, Any quick fixes?...Or fixes in general..lol
A lot of motors over time need their valves adjusted its a common thing. So it's not a huge problem that will cost u lots of money, but u should get them adjusted if in fact thats what the problem is. Like mhondatech was saying check the exhaust manifold for cracks and maybe have someone listen to it that is experienced and verify thats what it is. My best guess is that its valves out of adjustment
Old 03-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bgundy87
A lot of motors over time need their valves adjusted its a common thing. So it's not a huge problem that will cost u lots of money, but u should get them adjusted if in fact thats what the problem is. Like mhondatech was saying check the exhaust manifold for cracks and maybe have someone listen to it that is experienced and verify thats what it is. My best guess is that its valves out of adjustment
x2