Notices

breaking in a new engine - can i just take out the wastegate spring to run no boost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default breaking in a new engine - can i just take out the wastegate spring to run no boost?

Will that work? Or should do I just have to buy the softest spring possible?
Old 08-20-2003, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: breaking in a new engine - can i just take out the wastegate spring to run no boost? (Greyout)

that will work, but u will still build boost. I'm currently running w/out a wastegate and i get 12psi at redline.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: breaking in a new engine - can i just take out the wastegate spring to run no boost? (ArtOwnzMe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ArtOwnzMe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that will work, but u will still build boost. I'm currently running w/out a wastegate and i get 12psi at redline.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like what went wrong last time *snicker*

This is, ah, the built engine and not another high mileage B18A? Hit PM or such, don't mean to hijack the thread.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: breaking in a new engine - can i just take out the wastegate spring to run no boost? (J. Davis)

if you take out ur wastegate spring, how much boost will you hold? how is that possible
Old 09-02-2003, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: breaking in a new engine - can i just take out the wastegate spring to run no boost? (homesauce)

I have tuned at least 20 cars without the wastegate spring installed, each and every car could not generate any boost pressure even at 8k. I do this to be able to fully tune the low cam maps, and transition into the high cam map. With the wastegate fully open there isnt enough exhaust pressure generated to be able to spin the turbine to create boost from the compressor.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: breaking in a new engine - can i just take out the wastegate spring to run no boost? (Greyout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Greyout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Will that work? Or should do I just have to buy the softest spring possible?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good Question, going thru the same problem right now. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: breaking in a new engine - can i just take out the wastegate spring to run no boost? (boosted hy

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have tuned at least 20 cars without the wastegate spring installed, each and every car could not generate any boost pressure even at 8k. I do this to be able to fully tune the low cam maps, and transition into the high cam map. With the wastegate fully open there isnt enough exhaust pressure generated to be able to spin the turbine to create boost from the compressor. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Ok I will do it like that, take the spring out and go to the nearest highway. Take it to like 50mph and let the car slow by itself then do it again, said 5 to 10 times? Of course this is after making sure there are no leaks and that the gauges are reading good across the board.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: breaking in a new engine - can i just take out the wastegate spring to run no boost? (Boricuanol

holy **** this is a old thread
Old 01-01-2008, 09:18 AM

Default Re: breaking in a new engine - can i just take out the wastegate spring to run no boost? (Boricuanol

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boricuanology &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good Question, going thru the same problem right now. Best of luck to you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honestly, if he hasn't solved his problem in the last 4 years, I don't think luck will help him.

Good luck with yours though!