Notices

Boost leak woes - Anyone weld a fitting on the charge piping for testing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost leak woes - Anyone weld a fitting on the charge piping for testing?

I thought I'd crosspost this here since the Honda community is a bit larger of an audience.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well today the car decided 12psi is where it's at. Since the car normally runs 18psi off the wastegate spring, something is amiss.

I can honestly say that I'm not too stoked about doing a boost leak test, but it's a necessary evil for anyone driving a boosted car. So why not make the process easier?

With a topmount, it means the headlight is going to have be removed (then re-adjusted).... so why not weld some type of fitting/valve onto the charge piping somewhere so I could hook up an air compressor line. It could be done off the intercooler perhaps so it's hidden in the bumper...or wherever.

Any inputs on how to approach this or if it's just a dumb idea . </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking a schrader valve may be best since I wouldn't need an air compressor to test with (ie at the track/back roads/etc) ...
Old 01-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont see why not, i mean i have made them out of home depot rubber reducers, some PVC end cap plugs and an air compressor fitting, and just clamped it over the turbo inlet

i think the only thing with the schrader valve is that it will handle high pressure numbers but wont flow and hold the volume to pressurizea large amount of piping, plus it has to be BEFORE the compressor blades in order to pressurize it or it will spin the compressor the opposite way and leak out