Notices

Bluebox and VAFC for minor adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluebox and VAFC for minor adjustments?

Hey all, I've got a question to pose... I might just be completely retarded and I'm forgetting some big thing that won't make it work, so be nice, but here goes..

I've got a bluebox just laying here that originally came with my greddy SOHC kit. When I had the bluebox running I really didn't have any complaints with it other than the fact that it made my car run super rich at the stock boost levels for the kit (something like 9:1 A/F when I had it on the dyno). So, after that dyno session I set out on a mission for a "better" fuel management setup, and ended up with a VAFC and some dsm 450cc's to perform the hack.

My biggest beef with the hack is the timing problems, which are pretty much something I have to live with if I stay with this.

My question is, what would stop a person from wiring up the bluebox, upping the boost level just a tad (I'm currently at 8, from what I read the bluebox can handle this), popping the stock (or slightly larger) injectors back in then adding the VAFC in to make some minor adjustments to get the A/F where one wants it?

I know the bluebox intercepts the MAP sensor signal from the IM as does the VAFC, so if a person were to do this, what order would they go? MAP > bluebox > VAFC > ECU, or MAP > VAFC > bluebox > ECU?

Is anyone else doing this, or is there a glaring technical reason why this would not work? I don't understand enough about how the bluebox operates to really be sure that this would work or not, maybe others have more experience?

Maybe if I have some spare time this weekend and enough ambition I'll dig out my wiring diagrams for the VAFC and the bluebox and sketch out how I think the wiring would go... maybe if I have even more time I'll try wiring it up if I get some positive responses here..
Old 08-14-2003, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bluebox and VAFC for minor adjustments? (M-EJ1)

I would like to know this too.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:35 AM
wc
Honda-Tech Member

Looking at the inputs (map, rpm?) and outputs (injector, map) of the bluebox, you can guess how it works. At the certain input map (and rpm?), the bluebox forces the injectors to open fully by overriding the ECU injector lines. Since it overrides the line, no matter how you wire the VAFC, VAFC won't have have any effect on the injectors.

- wei
Old 08-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bluebox and VAFC for minor adjustments? (wc)

What if you wire the VAFC to the map input from the IM to the blue box. Wouldn't changing the fuel settings on the VAFC alter the map input for the blue box thus making it more adjustable? Just a thought.
Old 08-14-2003, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Bluebox and VAFC for minor adjustments? (Cruiser G)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cruiser G &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What if you wire the VAFC to the map input from the IM to the blue box. Wouldn't changing the fuel settings on the VAFC alter the map input for the blue box thus making it more adjustable? Just a thought.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If wc's explanation is correct than this still won't work... the fundamental problem with the bluebox (well, the reason why it runs the car so rich) is, just like he said, the fact that the bluebox opens the injectors up all the way past a certain map sensor signal and/or rpm signal, which means that even if you put the VAFC in front, as soon as it reaches it's desired signal, poof, the injectors open up wide.

Makes sense, I guess if I had known how the bluebox worked in the first place I wouldn't have even needed to post this question, but oh well.

Anyway, I'm still thinking about switching back to the bluebox... anything has got to be better than the VAFC hack and it's stupid timing issues... since I'm running more boost, hopefully the bluebox'es richness will lean out a little with more air in boost / under load.
Old 08-15-2003, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

People dis the blue box all the time but it's the smoothest glitch free system I've ever run (as long as you stay stock boost). I never experienced hiccups or misses or bad transitions into boost with it. Hell, my hondata doesn't even run as smooth and I've tried tuning the **** out of it. Perfect a/f levels at all points but still it's got part throttle problems.
Old 08-15-2003, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bluebox and VAFC for minor adjustments? (glagola1)

I agree, the blue box runs really smooth. But it also runs really rich and is untunable. That's the bad thing about it.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:28 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

new kit comes with the e-manage
Old 08-16-2003, 12:43 PM
wc
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cruiser G &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree, the blue box runs really smooth. But it also runs really rich and is untunable. That's the bad thing about it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Running rich not necessarily bad. Means you can run more boost.

- wei