Bisimoto Turbo Cams??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:03 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Bisimoto Turbo Cams??

what cam would you recommend for a piston/rod z6 with a gt2871r turbo? want to get a nice fat powerband because traction wont be a problem
Old 07-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

probably the 1.2 cam. possibly the 2.4 depends though on if you have portwork, how high your revving and what not
Old 07-07-2010, 06:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

intake is a y8 manifold with gsr tb all portmatched and valvetrain would be matched to the cam
Old 07-28-2010, 04:00 PM

Saxon,

what is the purpose of your vehicle? Drag, road race, daily, weekend warrior?

That is what will really determine which cam you should get. A 3.6 would be ideal for the first two scenarios, where as a 2.4 would be ideal for a weekend warrior, and the 1.2 would be better for daily!

Bearing this in mind, a 1.2 is a safe place to begin with a 2.4 being a middle ground for everything else! If you have any other questions or concerns, let me know and I will get you guys taken care of!

Cheers,
-Randy
Old 07-28-2010, 06:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

to be honest right now its a daily, but as of next weekend it will only be a weekend/autox car

the vehicle is a 91 si thats been converted to rt4wd and i want the power band to be as fat as possible and put down great numbers on pump gas (maybe meth injection to max turbo out for drag runs)
Old 07-28-2010, 07:09 PM

Saxon,

in that case I would say the 2.4 would be a good start! The 3.6 might be a bit extreme if it is just a weekend car. But with either camshaft I feel you will be pleased.

The 2.4 will back off a little lower than the 3.6 but depending on the power you are looking to make, a 3.6 may be overkill. The 3.6 will be suitable if you are looking for power over 450 hp where as the 2.4 is better for the 300 to 400 range!

The 3.6 will build power from much lower RPM where as the 2.4 will start optimizing boost right around 1400rpm, so definitely the choice is yours but I feel the 2.4 will suit you much better.

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with Saxon!
Old 07-28-2010, 07:45 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

pm'd
Old 07-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump.. bisi is the ****!
Old 08-01-2010, 07:58 PM

Ha

thanks for the kind words! We try to be lol
Old 04-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so i've read everything, but i'm still sorted confused...
I'm planning on building my D16Y8. Which cam would you recommend?
Goal is to probably boost my ride in the next 2 years or so. But, I would love to have more power till then...
i'll also be getting the Bisi cam gear and Bisi valve train and retainer kit.

Bisi Stage 1, Can I use this cam once I decide to boost my ride?
Bisi Stage 1.2, can I use this cam while being not boosted?
Bisi Stage 2, will this work with a Turbo or is it to aggressive?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have Bisimoto Engineering building me a complete H22 Head with a full Portflow port & polish, Bisimoto spec valves, valvesprings and titanium retainers, Bisimoto spec Valvejob, level 2.4 Cams, and Bisimoto adj cam gears...after reading this thread...I am VERY excited to see what my new Head is gonna be like with those Cams!!!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by king T.
so i've read everything, but i'm still sorted confused...
I'm planning on building my D16Y8. Which cam would you recommend?
Goal is to probably boost my ride in the next 2 years or so. But, I would love to have more power till then...
i'll also be getting the Bisi cam gear and Bisi valve train and retainer kit.

Bisi Stage 1, Can I use this cam once I decide to boost my ride?
Bisi Stage 1.2, can I use this cam while being not boosted?
Bisi Stage 2, will this work with a Turbo or is it to aggressive?

Thanks in advance
Hello sir,

Bisimoto Stage 1 camshaft is for a very mild to near stock N/A street setup

Bisimoto Stage 1.2 camshaft is for a mild to near stock with turbo setup designed to work great with smaller turbo setups

Bisimoto Stage 2 camshaft is for a more modified N/A setups responds very well to added compression and lightly ported head or stroker motors

Bisimoto designs camshaft specific to turbo, nitrous or N/A applications being each application requires a different spec to achieve the best power and efficiency.

Originally Posted by Blacksi76
I have Bisimoto Engineering building me a complete H22 Head with a full Portflow port & polish, Bisimoto spec valves, valvesprings and titanium retainers, Bisimoto spec Valvejob, level 2.4 Cams, and Bisimoto adj cam gears...after reading this thread...I am VERY excited to see what my new Head is gonna be like with those Cams!!!
Thank-you for your support please share your results with us, we always appreciate feedback from Bisimoto customers!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@ bisi..

I have a H22 (88mm) 9.5:1 comp
I'm currently running a T70 turbo
70 trim 96 A/R
And I have BC stage 2 NA Cams.
Im On a conservative tune (350 hp) on 6-7 psi
I'm planning on boosting around 15-20 psi but not sure if I should with the cams I'm currently running. I'm wondering what type of gains I will see if I swap some big turbo cams in. And if it will be safer then the NA cams.. Any info will be appreciated
Old 04-23-2011, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by h22-eg-hatch
@ bisi..

I have a H22 (88mm) 9.5:1 comp
I'm currently running a T70 turbo
70 trim 96 A/R
And I have BC stage 2 NA Cams.
Im On a conservative tune (350 hp) on 6-7 psi
I'm planning on boosting around 15-20 psi but not sure if I should with the cams I'm currently running. I'm wondering what type of gains I will see if I swap some big turbo cams in. And if it will be safer then the NA cams.. Any info will be appreciated
Hello Sir,
That is a very good question. A properly designed camshaft is very different between a N/A application and a force induction application. I highly recommend running the Bisimoto Level 2.4 camshafts for your setup. With proper degreeing and tune with these Bisimoto camshafts you will see a large improvement on turbo spool time as well as a much better power band and peak power.

For more information and pricing send me a PM
Old 04-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bisimoto Turbo Cam?? (Bisimoto)

Originally Posted by nowtype
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bisimoto &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, give us a call, as we can help. The biggest mistake boosted enthusiasts make is place an N/A designed cam in their turbo'd engine: the increased duration, and lobe separation qualities cause lackluster performance due to boost blowing right through the exhaust during the overlap event.

A purposely designed cam for turbocharged applications, like our level 1.2 turbo cam, addresses the need for more exhaust lift and duration than our level 1 grinds, and wider lobe separation to allow you to build boost sooner, and retain it longer throughout the powerband.

Customers have reported excellent gains in DOHC and SOHC powerplants, with our level 1.2 cams. The single cam engines are a lot harder to master, since you have to grind in the lobe separation; it took us 13 different grinds to find the proper LS for the level 1.2...yes, I love to experiment, as my pain is your gain. I guess that is a key advantage of having my own dyno!

I hope that helps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Could you explain what I bolded? It doesn't seem to make any sense. The way I'm reading it seems that you are suggesting that fresh, intake air is blowing through before the exhaust valve is closed. If this is your stance, then I'm not sure I would agree since on a turbocharged engine we are constantly fighting reversion which is just a byproduct of exhaust manifold pressure.

Basically what this means is that increased overlap and duration on a cam meant for a Naturally Aspirated vehicle can and will cause you loose positive pressure build up (from the turbo) that was intentionally meant to stay within the combustion chamber to blow out you tail pipe resulting in a lack of power. All due to loss of air intake charge...You see if you can not maintain the air intake charge with a properly sealed combustion chamber, you can not add fuel to create the power. simple as that.

As far as reversion goes...Technically it is caused by exhaust pulses produced by the four stroke internal combustion engine. In other words its the pumping action of the piston creating reversion during the intake stroke.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dang way late lol
Old 04-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you do realize that in the vast majority of boosted applications the exhaust manifold pressure is greater than the intake manifold pressure...

so "boost" wont be "blowing out" of anything.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't believe we are on the same page here. We are talking about different subjects.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no, we are not.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so now i'm contemplating between Stage 1 and 1.2.

how well will stage 1 work on a mild turbo setup?
will the 1.2 work well on a N/A setup?

I'll be boosting in mine in the next 2 years, and really don't want to buy another cam then...

Thanks in advance for the advice
Old 04-29-2011, 03:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BisimotoAlvin
I don't believe we are on the same page here. We are talking about different subjects.
difference between a h22 on a 57trim and a h22 on a s372

both will have different pressure ratios at the same psi and will react differently to overlap
Old 04-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bisimoto Turbo Cam?? (Only1cam)

Originally Posted by Bisimoto
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nowtype &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

In simple terms, during the induction stroke, you need to build boost in your turbo'd engine. In an N/A engine, you increase overlap to a decent extent in order to assist in inertial supercharging (taking advantage of the scavenging affect of the hopefully properly designed exhaust system) during this overlap period to allow a "cleaner" intake charge for better combustion, hence more heat, hence more power. With a turbocharged application, for a given application there is a limit to the ideal overlap period, one that many aftermarket n/a cams surpass. This is the key reason why excellent n/a designed camshafts result in a boosted application result in lazy boost/rpm curves, and loss of torque = loss in power.
King T, what I quoted could not possibly give a better explanation of the possible out comes in the case you do not purchase the appropriate camshaft for your set up. Hope that helps.

Wolve, your totally right. Different set ups will render different readings. Which makes this a difficult subject to discuss.