Notices

Best supercharger for B16A

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best supercharger for B16A

I am thinking of going the SC route instead of turbo for a few reasons. No boost leak (I dotn think so), full boost at all times, quicker install, and overall cheaper. I know the boost cant go beyond like 14psi, but thats ok. It wil be on my daily driver so I dont really want crazy boost in my CRX. I am very new to supercharging. I know a lot more about turbo as I have been studying up on it for a lil over a year now.

My question is: What are the best superchargers out there? They are more reliable than turbo chargers right? Can supercahrgers be intercooled? What all would I need to get my supercahrger on and running? Can Hondata be tuend for the supercharger? Does it even need Hondata or a engine management system?

TIA!!

Forgive my noobness
Old 09-08-2004, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Best supercharger for B16A (B16CRXT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16CRXT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am thinking of going the SC route instead of turbo for a few reasons. No boost leak (I dotn think so), full boost at all times, quicker install, and overall cheaper. I know the boost cant go beyond like 14psi, but thats ok. It wil be on my daily driver so I dont really want crazy boost in my CRX. I am very new to supercharging. I know a lot more about turbo as I have been studying up on it for a lil over a year now.

My question is: What are the best superchargers out there? They are more reliable than turbo chargers right? Can supercahrgers be intercooled? What all would I need to get my supercahrger on and running? Can Hondata be tuend for the supercharger? Does it even need Hondata or a engine management system?

TIA!!

Forgive my noobness</TD></TR></TABLE>

you really have 2 choices jackson racing and vortech me personally if i were to supercharge i would use a vortech due to the fact that you can intercool vs the jackson which you cant.
when you get the supercharger you will gwt every thing needed, yes you can and i have tuned supercharged cars as for does it need it no they work fine with the fmu supplied with the kit but better with a ems of somesort, as a side note they are just as expensive to do as a turbokit when you get it all done

feel free to call
Old 09-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best supercharger for B16A (b18cls1)

ok, I was thining of stying away from the JRSC anyways and getting the vortech. Which one can be upgraded the most and has the best reliability as far as something going wrong with the charger itself?

Would I need the boost option of Hondata for the supercharger?
Old 09-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can also look at procharger...they have a very nice setup..all kits come with an intercooler...you will generally spend about the same for a sc kit as a base turbo kit...you can have the same boost leak problems with a sc as a turbo...and you need to tune it..FMU's are the devil...
Old 09-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best supercharger for B16A (TurboB16aEG)

my bad. I didnt mean to say boost leak. I meant to say boost creep.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16CRXT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my bad. I didnt mean to say boost leak. I meant to say boost creep.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You manily get boost creep with a car manifold or turbulance in the manifold...it not its gonna creep faster then you can control it...also if you have too small a wastegate...i weighed the options and almost bought a procharger...but the trubo kept calling me...if you want more power...all you have to do it turn up the boost and tune..with a sc you have to change the pulley or spray...good luck in whatever you do.
cameron
Old 09-08-2004, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Best supercharger for B16A (TurboB16aEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboB16aEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can also look at procharger...they have a very nice setup..all kits come with an intercooler...you will generally spend about the same for a sc kit as a base turbo kit...you can have the same boost leak problems with a sc as a turbo...and you need to tune it..FMU's are the devil...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree a sc kit will cost the same as a turbo kit and procharger makes one also and those allow for the intercooler also, the hondata will need the boost option but with 6psi not too much to worry about granted the fmu are the worst way to do it they have done the job for 10+ years now with low boost setups, i would recomend a hondata but not nec.

Old 09-08-2004, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best supercharger for B16A (b18cls1)

I was under the impression that the vortech sc wasnt that great. I heard it had the worst of both a supercharger, and a turbo. Cant get big numbers like a supercharger, and has to spool like a turbo. Correct me if Im wrong, I might be way off.
With that being said, Ive always read, and am now considering the Jackson Charger. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:03 PM

Default Re: Best supercharger for B16A (NoBottleJustThrottle)

I'd go with either a procharger kit or vortech. If I were you I'd go procharger
Old 09-08-2004, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Best supercharger for B16A (SiKid86)

iv seen some pretty big numbers from the vortech although the whole setup is over $4,000 i believe. but u gotta upgrade some stuff to really see some good numbers with the supercharger. they work alot better with higher displacement.