Notices

best size spring for wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Who the fack changed my title?!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best size spring for wastegate

I'm not sure what everyone else is running as in terms of psi but I am shooting for 15lbs and I want to know what the best bar setting I should run on my wastegate. I'm thinking 1 bar is too much but then again that's why I am asking. Is it better to run a higher bar closer to the requested psi an individual is running to get more solid power. or should you run a lighter spring? My only assumption would be if you run a lighter one it makes the turbo work harder to get more psi running through the system thus needing a harder spring. Any input on this??
Old 03-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: best size spring for wastegate

If this a street car? Do you plan to run boost by gear? If so, I think you should go with a lighter spring as you cannot run less boost than the wg's spring rate. A 7 psi spring would be a great starting point, depending on turbo of course, and you'd be able to up it to 15 psi using the ebc.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:09 PM

yes it is a street car, and i believe my neptune system has boost by gear. so assuming 1 bar is 14 psi, then .5 bar would be 7? and im running a borg warner s360 turbo.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Neptune is FTW, man! You'll have to order the ECU components for bbg and solder them to your board. Xenocron has them as well as the Mac Solenoid you'll need. For a fwd street car on street tires, bbg is worth its weight in gold so DO IT!

With that turbo, it may be difficult to get it to hold low boost without creeping. What size wg are you running?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by crvtectim
Neptune is FTW, man! You'll have to order the ECU components for bbg and solder them to your board. Xenocron has them as well as the Mac Solenoid you'll need. For a fwd street car on street tires, bbg is worth its weight in gold so DO IT!

With that turbo, it may be difficult to get it to hold low boost without creeping. What size wg are you running?
44mm tial
Old 03-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IME spring psi should be the lowest boost you plan to run.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yep! ^

And the 44mm tial should handle whatever you throw at it, provided it's getting priority. But you should discuss this with your tuner. I've been told not to exceed 2 times the spring rate and I've been told not to exceed 3 times the spring rate. I've beat up the mac solenoid at 100% duty cycle without problems before. So see what your tuner is comfortable with.

If you want to be safe, I say go with a small blue spring in the gate. You'll still have some tire fire in the top of 1st. Most likely a bit at the top of 2nd too depending on how good your street tires are. But hang on in 3rd, 4th, and 5th where you'll be able to hook while upping the boost!

http://www.tialmedia.com/documents/w3_tial_44_sp.pdf