Notices

Benefits to turbo kit rather than piecing one together?? need experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benefits to turbo kit rather than piecing one together?? experience

I was wondering if it would make sense to piece together a kit or just buy a kit like Revhard etc.. I have seen several people make good power with the kits and the pieced together kits. I would like some experienced users for this one. I noticed that to get a decent turbo t3/t04 e is like $500++ and for the Precision turbos it is like 700+. I tried to piece a good quality kit and it was like 2300+ when the Revhard and Drag are like 2500 shipped. I just want to info on the ease and benefits of either. I will be helping a member here put his kit together and after it is all said and done it will be like 2300+. We will post the results of that in another post. Thanks for the replys
Old 03-09-2006, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Benefits to turbo kit rather than piecing one together?? experience (drintegra)

peciing togeather a kit takes a significant amount of planning in order to buy only the parts u need and not extras,

if i was to do mine again i would just buy a kit, minus the management,
Old 03-09-2006, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Benefits to turbo kit rather than piecing one together?? experience (drintegra)

if your a noob to boost, then a kit might be better. with a trubo kit you usually get everything you need, and you know that everything will fit with little or no modification, if you piece together a kit, it's cheaper a lot of the time, but you might encounter a few more headaches, and you might also forget something.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I pieced my kit together and saved a lot of money, but it was a major hassle to get everything to fit properly. The biggest challenge for me was getting the charge piping (jc whitney baby) to fit and cutting/welding my downpipe from scratch. It probably took me 3 to 4 times longer to get everything in compared to a kit.

So unless you like a challenge or if you don't have much turbo knowledge, I would recommend a kit.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:25 AM

peicing together a kit is easy even for beginners, and can save you money, as well as getting better parts more suited for your setup. i saved 1k dollars putting a custom kit together vs a kit.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

comes down to laziness and experience. If you know what you're doing, you can save a lot of money. If you dont, you'll end up wasting a lot of time looking for things and wish you had just gotten the complete kit in one shot.
Old 03-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybrdthry911)

I guess it makes sense, I have done alot of research and posted several manifold to compare. I want to boost two of my cars, and I am helping a friend get his custom kit off the ground. There is something about custom that does it for me. I also noticed that with many custom kits the system seems to perform better. Also I want a better mani then just a log as I plan on raising the boost, but the biggest challenge appears to be the purchase of the turbo and manifold. I also do not fear the welding and cutting aspect. Is there a good place to buy a good turbo at a reasonable price?

Thanks for the reply's
Old 03-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drintegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drintegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...I also do not fear the welding and cutting aspect. ....</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you at least have basic fabrication skills, then custom is probably the way to go.. Just make sure you do a lot of research to get exactly what you need - do it right the first time and you'll save a lot of money in the long run. I speak from experience
Old 03-09-2006, 11:28 AM

Default Re: (drintegra)

pheonix turbos offers garrett turbos at good prices, and if u dont mind doing fabrication of your own, then u can save even more money
Old 03-09-2006, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybrdthry911)

Thanks fellas, right now the way I want it the kit will be like 2100 with the chuck norris mani from cc-fab and a remanufactured t3/to4e stage 3 wheel. I would like a ball bearing turbo but they are $$$$$$$$. I gotta get my digi cam up and runnig to take pixs of my boys stuff and my stuff. ANyway thanks again