Notices

Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED

Just trying to get a feel for how many people in here piece together there kits and how much $$$ it was to put together compared to people who bought there kit from say Revhard or DRAG.

Feel free to post whp figures, total costs, or any other helpful information. I think this poll will be helpful to the people who are looking into boost and are tossing up the idea to build their own kit.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (untitled)

back in the day alot of people were buying complete turbo kits but in recent years more and more people are building there own kits by parting things together. more people are welding and fabricating things
Old 12-18-2004, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (b18bturbo)

<<---pieced my own kit..
Old 12-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (DENCIO)

Every single piece was bought individually here
Old 12-18-2004, 07:17 PM

Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (hondaguyef)

First kit I ever did was a Greddy Kit which was good for a beginner, but then I pieced together my new setup and wished that I had done that from the beginning.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (Bulldogg83)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bulldogg83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First kit I ever did was a Greddy Kit which was good for a beginner, but then I pieced together my new setup and wished that I had done that from the beginning. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Did the same except with an HMT kit.

IMO, if you want serious power and perfomance, do it right the first time. I would have saved a ton if I would have done that.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (tegunderpressure)

I started out with a Drag Kit and about a year later did it all over again with individually bout parts.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (Bulldogg83)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bulldogg83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First kit I ever did was a Greddy Kit which was good for a beginner, but then I pieced together my new setup and wished that I had done that from the beginning. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have been peicing together my kit but as a begginer its just a pain in the ***. I cannot even begin to explain how hard it has been for me to peice my kit together. Seen as how I have never worked on a turbo car nor do any of my local freinds have turbo cars. I built my kit because people always say " I wish I would have peiced together my kit"
Old 12-19-2004, 02:14 AM

Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (c61lude)

Its no that hard. It all comes down to research.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (c61lude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by c61lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I have been peicing together my kit but as a begginer its just a pain in the ***. I cannot even begin to explain how hard it has been for me to peice my kit together. Seen as how I have never worked on a turbo car nor do any of my local freinds have turbo cars. I built my kit because people always say " I wish I would have peiced together my kit" </TD></TR></TABLE>

In the end you will be happy with it. Any questions you have feel free to ask. That's what we're here for.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:05 PM

The car always feels faster if you do it yourself

DIY over here, takes alot longer though.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (ZoRG)

I did my own kit also. I went threw Full-Race for the Turbo, Manifold and downpipe but used a different intercooler and made my own intercooler piping and I am building the motor and Running Autronic for EMS... I think putting your own kit togeather is better in so many ways because you dont have to upgrade things that come in the kits
Old 12-19-2004, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (BoostedEG6)

put together my own kit. cost me ~2300 and i had a wideband
Old 12-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (blackeg)

I pieced my kit together! I have no complaints, piecing everything together yourself is really not that bad of an experience, patience is key my friend.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (Sohc Driver)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sohc Driver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I pieced my kit together! I have no complaints, piecing everything together yourself is really not that bad of an experience, patience is key my friend.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Plus you know exactly what you have done and any weak spots in your system.

I spent 3000 and thats with a new $600 turbo and $600 equal length manifold. ALL piping I fabbed myself and saved a crap load of money. Do it if you want a good experience that will satisfy you even more.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (untitled)

well i had a drag kit , but i have sold that and now make my own manifolds and all the other stuff , saves alot of money and you can pick what you want for your setup ,
Old 12-19-2004, 04:30 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (B18C1CYA)

Bought a greddy kit back in 99 ish...car was stolen/stripped. Then i peiced together a cheap kit in spring 03. Spend about $2500 for everything (guages, clutch, hondata, etc). Made 311whp on a stock b16a. Then i got a hatchback, Pieced together a good kit with full race manifold, etc. Fabbed some of my own parts (DP, some of the IC piping, etc). Now i sold that kit and im fabbing a completely new one, gonna make the manifold, dp, IC piping, Intercooler end tanks, Intake manifold, etc.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (Mpir3)

I am glad this thead has been succesful...

If you guys have time you should post total cost if its readily available.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:00 PM

it was 95% people built their own just for reference... no polls in FI. sorry bout that.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pieced together my own kit, my first turbo ever. Spent $700....
Old 12-19-2004, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (T-RO)

w3rd, got my **** on here.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (b16boost)

im working on building my 2nd kit right now.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (wisjdmhonda)

Well let me see...hmmm...it started of with saab turbo, dsm bov, fmu, and whole bunch of other crap and i worked my way up to t3/t4 and afc hack, msd btm. Deam its so easy now days to do your own kit.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (blown_LS)

yeah, i started with a bunch of junk too and upgraded before it was on the car thank god. ive only been boosted 2 weeks and am already upgrading to uberdata and an sc43 from the hack and a 50 trim t3/t04e
Old 12-19-2004, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED (blown_LS)

I am still piecing my set up together...and I can relate to c61lude , if you have no prior experience it does take ALOT of research to know what your buying/looking for.

But I think it will be worth it in the end. One thing to consider is buying one thing at a time takes awhile, and when your going from NA to turbo you can't really install each part as you get them....really needs to be done all at once...and so the chances of buying up half the **** and then flaking on your own plan are kinda high. I admit I have thought about selling out, but I am just too close to give up now. Heres what I got so far (for anyone who cares)

Precision SC34
BLOX mani
TiAL 38mm WG
RC550s
Spearco FMIC
1G DSM BOV
AEM FPR
Defi EGT, Boost , & Oil pres guages
Hondata S200B
Action 2MD
OBD1 P72 ECU
Walbro 255 intank
And prolly a few other bits and pieces...all bought right here...and goin on my '01 GSR ....

Quick Reply: Poll: Who built their kit opposed to who bouht there kit... SERACHED