ballbearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ballbearing

how much quicker can a ballbearing spool up then a 360 thrust bearing? I know its different from turbo to turbo so just a ball park is fine?
Old 09-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ballbearing (hks85)

From another thread

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GT61 this 1.8t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
well...
with a ballbearing turbo you have to rig up water lines so that the center section is getting a good supply of coolent to keep the heat under control.
thats another thing to consider...
do you want the head ache of water lines?

well as far as daily driving... it all depends on what your idea of lag is... and how big your going with the compressor and turbine.
if you consider a laggy turbo "not so good" for daily driving, then a ball bearing option may be something you might want to look into.
they are both fairly reliable.

well it depends on displacment...
there is no telling how soon your turbo is going to spool unless we know what turbo, and what size motor.
i mean a PT67 non ballbearing on a b-16a punched to 1715cc spools to damn near 30 psi around 6k rpm. now a ballbearing version of the PT67 will have a slight spool advantage... maybe 500rpm depending on a few conditions...
a good engine managment system also aids in spooling.
so a good tune will further take advantage of the dual ballbearing center section.

well efficiency...
thats a different ball game...
if you look at a compressor map you will see to the left a "surge" line...
the sooner a turbo spools in the RPM range the closer to the surge line you will be... so a quicker spooling turbo will not always yield a more efficient charge.
so some strap on huge turbos and run the revs to about 10k rpm...
remember the b-16a with the t67...
well its non ball bearing... but he doesnt need it, the thing makes over 670whp and revs to 10.5k with a super broad power band of about 4k rpm.
so once again it all comes down to your setup... i cant give one answer until i know what your looking for.

well if you want... go to http://www.dragsport.com and order the back issue where they took two exact turbos in wheel and housing combo's...
the only difference was the center section...
one was ball bearing one was not.
its an iteresting artical... i want to say it was the april issue...
maybe someone can assist me on that....
and if you get real bored order up the march issue... im in that one lol

</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is starting to get funny, everytime you have a question i reply. Just start PM'ing me your questions instead of making new threads
Old 09-08-2006, 04:41 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I'll give my quick version of this.

Ball-bearing cartridges assist with efficiency with the change in design of the wheels that the GT-R series of turbos uses. "quick spool" is simply a by-product of the wheel design that Garrett uses in its GT-R series and not the reason why the ball-bearing cartridge is created. I do like thier designs, and do use them on a regular basis. I do not use the Ball-bearing cartridges with the standard wheels much (the "replacement" cartridges that are an option on standard T3/T4 series) due to the fact that I just don't see the same amount of efficiency that is possible with a Fully designed ball-bearing GT-R series or Extended Tip Journal bearing cartridges from Borg-Warner/AirWerks.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TheShodan)

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/....html