Ball Bearing Turbo vs Non-BB reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Bearing Turbo vs Non-BB reliability

I'm curious as to how reliable BB turbos are versus a non ball bearing. I've read posts and basically I can't rebuild a BB turbo but the reliability is way better than a non-bb turbo as I've been told. I need some opinions to justify the larger price jump to BB turbo which is about +$500. I know the spool is way better with the BB turbo but if I can't rebuild it two years down the line, I'd rather go with something I can rebuild. Deciding between a T3/T67 or a GT35R. Opinions?
Old 03-03-2005, 06:46 AM
New User

Default Re: Ball Bearing Turbo vs Non-BB reliability (Pikachu)

All I know is that my non-BB turbo is still in great shape after two years. Maybe someoen with some bb turbo experience will help you on the issue of rebuilding the turbo.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Ball Bearing Turbo vs Non-BB reliability (Pikachu)

im in the same boat on this one, but from what i have read the ball bearings not only offer better spool but they also are less prone to normal journal bearing wear casued by compressor surge and also most ball bearings are water and oil cooled which means naturally that the internals of the turbo are running at a cooler temp which would in my opinion extend the life of the turbo.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:06 AM

You just have to take better care of a BB turbo.

They don't require as much oil - use an inline filter and a restrictor if you go Ball Bearing.

It's not 100% essential - but not a bad idea either.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (DragSource)

Well-oiled bearings can last a looong time. Just make sure you change your oil more frequently and always replace the filter, too (duh). The inline filter is a good idea, since it won't impact oil flow through the motor.

Just imagine having regular bearings (non-bb, essentially 2 bushings) in the hubs - when was the last time the hub's roller bearings in a honda really needed to be repacked? Sealed bearings and, in this case I believe, shielded bearings don't need very little maintenance since they're always using clean or fresh oil.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So does anyone Recommend BB turbo though? as in is it worth the money compare to non BB? Please explain you input on this. thanks.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want less lag go with a bb turbo, if you can put up with it go with a nonbb turbo

i personally have and will always run bb turbos the response is there
Old 03-10-2005, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey PrettyLude, so do you mean it's worth the extra 500-700 dollar on ball bearing? How would you compare if it's a gt35r nonBB to a gt35BB? more horsepower, or the ratio to it is it's just spool faster? Thanks for the patient. Gotta live and learn.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it will spool alot faster, the 35r is a pretty big turbo, and from what alot of people say on this board, it spools insanely fast
Old 03-14-2005, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whoa! after all, paying like 1300 for a gt35rBB is worth it then. I myself wouldn't mind buying one if I'm serious in the industry. *_^ ...

Thanks for answering the questions.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:52 PM

Default Re: (btrim23)

Just remember that there are 3 different ball bearing systems on the market, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. The Garrett uses a single sleeve system with a set of two angular contact ball bearings on either end with no journal bearing. Here are the advantages:

1) Reduced amount of oil flow for adequate lubrication. Lower oil volume reduces the chance for seal leakage and is more tolerant of marginal lube conditions.

2) Better damping and control over shaft motion for better reliability under extreme conditions (e.g. street racing). This system also eliminates the need for a thrust bearing, which is a common weak link in journal bearing turbos.

3) Decrease in lag time by about 15% over journal bearing turbos. This gives you better acceleration, particularly in the 0 to 60 mph range.

4) The Garrett system is also quicker spooling that some competitor's single ball bearing system. Since a single bearing system can only take thrust in one direction, a thrust bearing is still necessary in competitor's systems. The drag on the turbine side journal bearing is still there.

Finally . . .
*These systems are water-cooled, but we can also build a water cooled journal bearing if someone so desires.

*We do rebuild the Garrett ball bearing turbos that we sell.

*Journal bearing turbos will last . . . if you take care of them. Mine is 19 years old, but I am switching over to a ball bearing myself.

Rod Short
Sales Manager
Precision Turbo
Old 03-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Rod Short)

ill stick with a 360 race bearing to hell with them bb turbos finaky bastards
Old 03-14-2005, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rod Short: I was told rebuilds for BB turbos are so expensive that it is better off just getting a new one. I could be wrong. Can you shed some light on the subject?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pikachu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Pikachu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Rod Short: I was told rebuilds for BB turbos are so expensive that it is better off just getting a new one. I could be wrong. Can you shed some light on the subject?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes somebody help. sorry to thread jack but I dont know dick about turbos. and I have turbonetics t3 t4 and I dont know if its b/b or not? can it be rebuilt? I can take some pics. it has shaft play and kinda makes a grinding noise when spinning.. do I buy a new one? or rebuild it?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Re: (Pikachu)

Pikachu,
Rebuilding is expensive, without a doubt. Some of the Garrett ball bearing cartridges can cost a thousand bucks alone. That sound excessive, but figure in that most journal bearing turbo repairs run $400 or more on the average.

Garrett's ball bearing turbos certainly have their advantages, but in many ways the advanced aerodynamics on their GT line (of which the ball bearing turbos are a part) is a significant upgrade over the old T technology turbos, too.

Bottle Fed,
I would contact the vendor you bought your Turbonetics from. Grinding noises are definitely not good. Whenever the bearings lose their tolerances (many times from oil contamination), the wheels will wobble, come in contact with the housings and them try to re-machine themselves. Not good. If you continue to run it, the repair will just get more and more expensive.

Hope this helps. G' nite all.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought it from a friend because I figured it would only cast $300 to rebuild.... its not on the car now
Old 03-14-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Re: (bottle fed)

gt3767