Notices

new to F/I can someone help explain turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to F/I can someone help explain turbo?

turbo sizes that is

i was reading a post about what size turbo is good for a z6 application, and they were talking about t3, and 16g and such. can anyone help explain what all this means?

sorry to n00bify you all, i just want to inform myself before i make a decision on one
Old 10-02-2003, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to F/I can someone help explain turbo? (JUN EK9)

I think that they are just names that are given. each turbo manufacturer names turbos what they want. someone correct me if im wrong.
Old 10-02-2003, 11:06 PM

Default Re: new to F/I can someone help explain turbo? (Ek00fbp)

well basically, andything with a "T" it front of it is a garret turbo, andything wiht a "G" after it, is a mitsubishi turbo. There are MANY variences on each kind of turbo, just do you research and decide how big of turbo you want
Old 10-03-2003, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new to F/I can someone help explain turbo? (GunnaGetOne)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GunnaGetOne &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well basically, andything with a "T" it front of it is a garret turbo, andything wiht a "G" after it, is a mitsubishi turbo. There are MANY variences on each kind of turbo, just do you research and decide how big of turbo you want</TD></TR></TABLE>

hehe thats actually kinda funny. A "T" series turbo can be a turbnetics or garrett or a precision turbo. The "G" series can be either mitsu, IHI, or any other turbo manufacturer that decided to call it a "xG." Basically, each manufacturer does name their turbos based on variances on their sizes and the aspects on how they spool or flow. A T3 or T4 is the series of flange that bolts to your manifold. A T3 will spool quicker than a T4 with a sacrifice in power. Mating a T3 turbine to a T4 compressor will some what give you the best of both worlds. To find out which turbo would be best for you, you can always learn how to read a compressor map and learn how to mate inducer and exducer turbines and A/R housings. OR you can call the manufacturers or reps to find out which one would be best for you. If you are n00bing it, I would personally stick to a kit.