Notices

Bad Hondata S200 or ECU? Problems, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Hondata S200 or ECU? Problems, please help.

My setup is:
Stock internals on my ITR
JRSC w/ 7 PSI
AEM cold air intake
Apex-i world sport 2 catback
Gutted cat
Hondata S200 w/ OBD1 P28

My car gave me some trouble for the first time yesterday since it was tuned back in June. After starting the motor, the idle was all over the place, jumping up and down and smoking pretty bad. Throttle position did not affect the idle at all - it had a mind of its own (No CEL). I turned it off and restarted, it did this again. The third time it decided to run nice and smooth !

After resetting the ECU and making sure that everything was indeed plugged in good, I took it for a drive. Needless to say, about 10 miles later I found myself stuck at an intersection. The check engine light clicked on for about a second, then went off. That is when the same horrible idle problem came back and then the motor died. I tried several times but the motor would not start back up. I made sure that the wires going from the ECU to the Hondata were connected and secure, and they were. Well, after fiddling with it for a minute or two at this intersection, it decided to crank normally and i made the 1/2 mile drive back to the house.

When I got back to the house I determined that when the car is idling, if the Hondata were to come unplugged, the motor would still run / idle normally. It does not even throw a check engine light. My fear is that if this Hondata S200 box is bad or has a loose connection inside somewhere of the ecu, am I running on a stock P28 map ? This makes me feel very uneasy !