Notices

B18c1 turbo rebuild still smoking- looking for insight

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 B18c1 turbo rebuild still smoking- looking for insight

I have a b18c1 in my eg hatch and a while back it started smoking alot of white smoke, smelled like oil, maybe had coolant in it. Smoked particularly under boost. It all happened after i hooked up my boost controller to the wrong port on the wastegate and hit 5 lbs over what i was tuned to for a second or 2. anyways, i just finished rebuilding the bottom end with cp pistons eagle rods and new bearings. it smokes much less now when i drive it, and the oil is very clean looking after i check it. before it would be black as **** after even a few miles of driving even b4 the smoking issue. It smokes mostly now under compression braking, like if I down shift, and the smoke is like gray, smells like oil. WHen i got back to my garage I looked in the spark plug holes and one was completly full of oil due to me reusing the old seals for the valve cover- thats likely why it seemed to be misfiring at idle but that is likely a seperate issue. I looked in the cylinders and they have black residue on all 4 and seem slightly oily. I thus am in the process of replacing the valve stem seals and valve cover seals. Im also gonna try installing a oil catch can. ALso, I have arp studs and i retourqed those, and a new OEM headgasket I installed for the rebuild. I did not do any head work when i did the rebuild. Also, the turbo is freshly rebuilt by alamo turbochargers. Sorry for the long post, but im kindof lost at this point. Thanks for any input.