Notices

b16 turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 turbo questions

Whats up H-T
alright this is not my first time having a boosted car last one was a ls-vtec on 8.2 compression. made 450hp.

i am currently building a b16 (bottom end is finally finished) i want some seriously low compression something like 7.5 or so.. my bottom end is rated for 8.0
Also ihave a spare gsr head i am going to place on my fresh block. (i know it bumps the compression up)

on to my questions..

i want to know can i use more then one head gasket? why or why not
if i get lower compression valves will it counteract the gsr head?
and last but not least.
i was brousing through ebay (its fun) i saw this intake many i liked.
(link)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Acura-Integra-94-01-GSR-B18C1-B18-Engine-Air-Intake-Manifold-Aluminum-/251257568603?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a801e3d5b&vxp=mtr
Will this help me out with flow a little bit after tune is perfect?

P.s. i would appreciate it if you don't treat me like idk what im talking about. when it comes to Most b series things and things i do not know i come here (Honda-Tech) afterall iv had a boosted daily driven for 3 months

thank you for responding
Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 turbo questions

.... go lower, like... 5.5:1 compression.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just out of curiosity, why such low compression?
Old 04-24-2013, 04:46 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by yungkhmer
.... go lower, like... 5.5:1 compression.
He's f%$&ing with you because your goal for super low compression and reasons behind it are ridiculous. Two head gaskets? Counteract the GSR head? WTF? My bottom end is rated for 8.0?
I'm just curious where did you get stuff this from?

If I were you my approach would start with...
"Gee. I'm not the first guy to try to build an engine and boost a Honda. Maybe with this vast resource they called Honda-Tech I can just search and find someone that's already done exactly the thing I want to accomplish and just copy that. Maybe along the way I'll learn why they did what the did."
Old 04-24-2013, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone needs to go to the library and stay there for at least a year or two.

Honda/Acura Engine Performance: Mike Kojima: 0075478013845: Amazon.com: Books Honda/Acura Engine Performance: Mike Kojima: 0075478013845: Amazon.com: Books

This is a good book to read.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc

"Gee. I'm not the first guy to try to build an engine and boost a Honda. Maybe with this vast resource they called Honda-Tech I can just search and find someone that's already done exactly the thing I want to accomplish and just copy that. Maybe along the way I'll learn why they did what the did."
Hey now, give the guy a break. This is NOT his first build. He already had an LS-Vtec making 450hp with only using 3 gaskets. He "might" have reached 500 if he would have used 4 head gaskets allowing him to crank the boost up (insert sarcasm)
Old 04-24-2013, 05:27 AM
The Grumpiest

Nah. I don't understand how people think owning a boosted car somehow translates to them actually being knowledgeable enough to build one and NOT have to do any research along the way.

And before anyone jumps and says "I'm just trying to learn. Isn't that what this forum is for? Asking questions?" the answer to that is yes and no. No because you need to educate yourself first and when you have the only time you should be asking questions is after you at least have a build list and a plan.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by familysedan2
Just out of curiosity, why such low compression?
custom forged pistons. buddy. i want low compression because 1 comp point is aprox 37.8% more air.. nd im already sleaved to put 700 to the wheels
Old 04-25-2013, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nah. I don't understand how people think owning a boosted car somehow translates to them actually being knowledgeable enough to build one and NOT have to do any research along the way.

And before anyone jumps and says "I'm just trying to learn. Isn't that what this forum is for? Asking questions?" the answer to that is yes and no. No because you need to educate yourself first and when you have the only time you should be asking questions is after you at least have a build list and a plan.
i hav had boosted cars before like i stated i kno you can do certain things and others not... idk about the head gasket if asked and searched.. none for a gsr head and b16 block combo... so Im lost at it
Old 04-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He's f%$&ing with you because your goal for super low compression and reasons behind it are ridiculous. Two head gaskets? Counteract the GSR head? WTF? My bottom end is rated for 8.0?
I'm just curious where did you get stuff this from?

i do understand where ur comin from.. i got master mechanics in my family. step bro and my brother in law. so as far at specs and tq ratings im fine... none of them hav had a honda and built it
inturn i dont wanna "copy" what they do.... its very rare for me to follow somebodys footsteps.. its easy for that.. its not fun doing that... id rather scream at the car for not running right and me build it then follow somebody else and be happy.... its all about pride to me if u get where im coming from
Old 04-25-2013, 06:46 PM
The Grumpiest

Nothing you do is going to break new ground so no I don't get where you're coming from because, frankly, it's utter nonsense. You don't have a clue what you're talking about. That much is obvious. Go and educate yourself and read so you actually understand what it is you're actually trying to do and not just come off like a crazy person.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cosmetic makes thick head gaskets.

I dont know what your goal is with your car, But you should look into going high comp turbo pistons.

My car is about 10.3:1 CR, out of boost feels like a NA car, Its fun street DD. (Im at 400Whp on pump gas) (my car is NOT Hi CR but I do plan on going that rout)

(a good read https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/muckman%92s-integra-high-compression-super-build-3086196/ )
Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sniper_king
i do understand where ur comin from.. i got master mechanics in my family. step bro and my brother in law. so as far at specs and tq ratings im fine... none of them hav had a honda and built it
inturn i dont wanna "copy" what they do.... its very rare for me to follow somebodys footsteps.. its easy for that.. its not fun doing that... id rather scream at the car for not running right and me build it then follow somebody else and be happy.... its all about pride to me if u get where im coming from
You are building a Honda, anything you do is already following somebody else. You could convert to AWD and swap a LS1 engine in and you would still be following somebody else.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mafia
Cosmetic makes thick head gaskets.

I dont know what your goal is with your car, But you should look into going high comp turbo pistons.

My car is about 10.3:1 CR, out of boost feels like a NA car, Its fun street DD. (Im at 400Whp on pump gas) (my car is NOT Hi CR but I do plan on going that rout)

(a good read https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3086196 )
yah i want this for drag/show only i can achieve 500hp easy i did it with my 9.5 almost stock ls. lol ... im jus trying to be my own person... honstly. i hate when people tell me i cant do something. just makes me wanna do it even more. also no matter if its a rotary, 2cly, 4cly, 6cly or even 8 if its built.. i will not hate on it ... its about the pride to me.. in the end idc about my 1/4 time.. i care about i put this together with little help besides tuning..... and if i **** it up ok.. time to start again.... btw im only 21
Old 04-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97_coupe
You are building a Honda, anything you do is already following somebody else. You could convert to AWD and swap a LS1 engine in and you would still be following somebody else.
ehhh i do get that .. .Yah its a honda.... but i believe in my 4cly... its my first car.. been stolen 3 times and i still have it???? dam it means it either loves me... or i care to much to see it rot away. if that makes scence.... im goin 240sx soon. i like the look of a s13
Old 04-27-2013, 03:21 AM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

btw im only 21
What's this suppose to mean?
Old 04-27-2013, 04:29 AM
The Grumpiest

yah i want this for drag/show only i can achieve 500hp easy i did it with my 9.5 almost stock ls. lol ... im jus trying to be my own person... honstly. i hate when people tell me i cant do something. just makes me wanna do it even more. also no matter if its a rotary, 2cly, 4cly, 6cly or even 8 if its built.. i will not hate on it ... its about the pride to me.. in the end idc about my 1/4 time.. i care about i put this together with little help besides tuning..... and if i **** it up ok.. time to start again.... btw im only 21
Sounds like the classic excuse young people use to be hardheaded. If all that is the case don't even bother posting up asking for advice. You going to do what you want to right? That's what you're saying.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like the classic excuse young people use to be hardheaded.
That's putting it nicely.There's a difference between being stubborn and sheer stupidity.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:49 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your rationale for low compression makes NO sense. You can put more air in the cylinder, sure, but you're not compressing as much...and as such, you're losing power.

You need to learn how static vs dynamic compression works. Just because you can put more air in, doesn't mean it'll make more power.

This could help: http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php