Notices

AVC-R Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2001, 12:59 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AVC-R Tuning

Hi all,

I was wondering what some people are setting their A'PEXi AVC-R's too, I’m currently tuning mine trying to get a quicker spool up (if possible) and a daily driver of 10psi (somewhat there) and race of 12psi modes (haven’t started yet) admittedly I am a newbie at tuning this thing so any tips will be appreciated.

Currently I have the AVC-R set to:
.70kg/cm2 boost (flat line)
from 3000-5500 85% duty and from 5500+ at 70% duty
the start duty settings are all 0% and the learn gear is on for all gears and the F/B speed is 3 all across

The Ne-Points start at 3000 and go to 7500, before I had the Ne-Points starting around 2000 and it doesn’t seem to have changed much on spool up since I went a little higher on ne-points to see if it helped increase the spool up time..

here are the quick car specs
DRAG g3 on a Civic y7 block/tranny w/ y8 head/im/ecu
TiAL 35mm Wastegate with a .3bar spring (i think)
AVC-R for boost
SAFC/MF2 for fuel

On low rpms if you tap the throttle it goes to 0psi from the vacuum immediately..
if you give it full throttle it will start to really spool around 3000rpm (always has even before i set the ne-point higher and when i was running the complete y7 at 7psi) and around 4000rpm its at ~5psi and by 5000rpm its at full boost 10psi (most of the time)

Sometimes it doesn’t quite reach .7 but more like .65kg/cm2 of boost and sometimes under a real heavy load it will spike a bit to .73kg/cm2

I’ve read through the manual a few times and I’ve been messing with this thing off and on for quite awhile.. it works now but I’m wondering how I can improve the spool up and maybe make a catalog of "optimal" settings/tuning guide for this wonderful yet complicated little device.

Thanks,
-Chris
Old 09-01-2001, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AVC-R Tuning (s14TurboCivic)

Lower your duty setting and increase the start duty it did wonders for me!!!

Old 09-01-2001, 09:27 AM
New User

Default Re: AVC-R Tuning (redline)

what do you have your start duty set to? and how much would you lower the normal duty to compensate for the start duty? is it a 1:1 ratio?

-Chris
Old 09-13-2001, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm kind of hoping to "revive" this thread. I too have an AVC-R and if anybody could share some more tips I'd greatly appreiciate it. I've got mine set at about 30% duty from 3-5.5k and 37% from 6-7k, this is at .35bar. I've noticed that I'm not getting much boost in 1st or 2nd gear, about .25bar, then in 3rd I'll get a full .35bar and on and on, but i'd like a way to get more boost sooner if at all possible. My start duties are at 0% and FB speed is at 5. Anyway to get better boost response soon in the gears? Increasing duty% seems to make it worse while lowering it brought it to barley .27bar in 2nd. Any help is appreiciated, thanks.
Old 09-13-2001, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AVC-R Tuning (VTC_CiViC)

Damn all this AVC-R is confusin me. Would The Blitz SBC-ID be much more easier or this complicatin also?? Thanks.
Old 09-13-2001, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

AVC-R is not that hard to use. You just have to mess around with it for a while.

If you need more boost in a cerain gear, you can go to Start duty and increase the duty in the gear needed.... for example if you want more in just 2nd gear increase the second gear duty. If you want less in 1st for better traction then take away some.

Hope that makes sense
Old 09-13-2001, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AVC-R Tuning (TurboIntegra)

Yea thanks Turbo, I increased the Start Duty in 1st and 2nd to 5% and noticed that I'm finally reaching full boost in 2nd. I've left 3rd-5th at 0% since I hit full boost there anyways. Can anybody here actually explain what the "Duty" percentage is or know where I can read about it?
Old 09-13-2001, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Having beaten myself to death on my brother's Turbo GSR, I have figured out a few things. I can hit full boost in any gear and usually right away. (greddy kit). The start duty cycle can help out quite a bit.

To answer the question of duty cycle, it's in the AVC-R manual. As bad as it is, the duty cycle still made sense. The number is the percent of time that it is closed. I believe that 0% would essentially be the point where it is open 100% of the time...this allows the wastegate to operate as it was intended. As soon as the duty cycle is greater than 0% it refers to the time it spends closed in a given interval. I would assume per second (it's been a while since I've seen the manual) So, 100% duty cycle would mean that the solenoid is closed and you will get as much boost as the turbo/engine can build up. Obviously, this would be bad. If you want more boost, increase the duty cycle. You want less boost, decrease the duty cycle.

I hope this helps a little. I wish someone would do a full write up on the AVC-r to try and make up for the lack of instruction in the manual.
Old 09-13-2001, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AVC-R Tuning (civicgsr)

Well this makes an interesting confusion then, because if changing the boost soleniod cycle has so direct an affect on peak boost, then why set the boost at all? For example, with my boost set at .35 bar, after changing my duty cycle to 50% for all RPM points and changing 1st and 2nd gear start duties to 5% each (leaving 3rd-5th at 0%), I pushed that car and got .39 bar in 2nd and over .40 bar in 3rd! Clearly the turbo was overboosting here even though I set my boost for .35 bar. I lowered my duty setting to 40% for all RPM points and lowered the start duties for 1st and 2nd to 2% each. Took another 2nd gear pull and got .32 bar which I was pleased with and in 3rd pulled .35 bar in 3rd (although I wasn't at 100% throttle, more like 90%). This of course has me a little confused, but none the less I can see I'm making progress. One thing I guess I had to learn was that under different conditions, boost will vary a bit here or there. Might boost .35 bar now, stop, go again and boost .37 bar next time. Different loads at different times = different boost. If anybody else has some input on this please, let's hear it
Old 09-14-2001, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand your confusion. With boost set on my brothers GSR at .55 bar, I've seen spikes past .65 bar. However, it's a very, very fast spike. Feels good too

One thing that I was led to believe, is that you could really tailor your boost curves for each gear. Has anyone figure out how to do that? I'm not talking about start duty cycle, but the curve for the whole gear. I guess I need to see if the curve changes when you shift gears...since it has the gear learn function.

Also, I found that setting the boost at a certain fixed level, and allowing the AVC-r to do the work, that it will eventually figure out what it has to do to maintain that boost level. That's where the duty cycle comes in. The NE points that you refer to are the points that the AVC-r will adjust to maintain boost. My brother's starts out at around 30% below 4500ish rpm. Then, after that, it increases to 45%, max's out at around 59% and leveling to 55%. Stomp on it in any gear and watch the boost hold steady at .54-.56 bar. Pretty neat.
Old 09-14-2001, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AVC-R Tuning (civicgsr)

Yea I think that really is te secret, time. Let the AVC-R learn over time how your engine boosts and it will eventually adjust itself to the right level. Paitence pays!
Old 09-14-2001, 11:46 PM
New User

i just thought id give a small update.. ive got the avcr to be a pretty stable .8kg/cm2 with minimal spikes of .82 under a heavy load (up a hill for example or a spike between shifts) i havent tried messing with the start duty to help increase spoolup yet or make it reach full boost in 1st and 2nd most of the time...

1st goes so quick anyway that i think its ok (still have tons of traction too so thats good.. ) and it gets full boost in 2nd if im really on it but other than that it probably goes to .7 max in 2nd (not exactly sure usually watching the road and/or analog boost guage (psi))

unfortunately with the new tuning in 3rd and 4th under a load after vtec engages and around 6k rpm the engine seems to "hesitate" or stall a bit.. instead of going smoothy through the rpms it pauses every 100-200rpm after 5500, a friend of mine thinks its light to mild detonation but there really isnt any noise that i would associate to detonation (no loud pops no loud bangs, just sounds like the engine is cutting out a bit then picks up again) the a/f reads in the rich and my egt seems stable from my quick glances at it..

any ideas? how would one be able to identify detonation? it feels like it did when it used to throw the cyl1 and cyl2 missfire code before i did the headswap but it doesnt throw any codes now..

also jumping back to start duty do you all ususally take down the duty the same amount you increase the start duty?

Thanks!

-Chris
Old 09-15-2001, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually I had to reduce the duty setting a little in 1st and 2nd where I incresed the start duty to prevent it from overboosting somewhat. As for the hesitations, I have similar up till about 4k then they seem togo away and it just pulls straight from there. A/F reads ok, so I'm not sure what it could be, i'll have to check my plugs to ensure i'm not running it lean too low or anything.