Notices

Assistance Needed: Changed Fuel components in the car -SOLVED Bad MAP Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Assistance Needed: Changed Fuel components in the car -SOLVED Bad MAP Sensor

good evening! well i have gotten myself in a pickle!

my setup is a mildly built comp 6262 turbo lsv tuned on neptune/phearable.net ecu. got tuned earlier this year on 7 pounds and made good power on it. well during the tuning session my tuner noticed a restriction in my setup and that i had a bad thermostat so before setup was a stock throttle body, skunk 2 intake manifold, stock fuel rail

I dediced to switch it up and grab items and installed a new thermostat so setup now is a bigger throttle body, victor x manifold and a edelbrock fuel rail. only used the fuel rail because it came with the manifold so why not. also came with 1200cc injectors but thats for later i guess

well i had starter issues and turns out my ignition key switch was toasted so got that situated

here comes the fun part

when i start the car it now runs pig rich... like 10.0 afr rich, black smoke and the idle is subaru-ish like..
for as much info possible: when trying to figure out my starting issue i thought my map and tps were switched so at least once i had swapped them just to be sure and now they are in the correct places, when i did swap them - car wouldnt start, so i swapped them back, didnt have them switched for all but 3-5 minutes.
i am using the same map sensor and 550 RC injectors as before. I have an adustable fuel pressure regulator and it holds steady at 48 psi. car idled at 2k. so i uninstalled my fuel rail and tighened it back up to where i made sure there were no leaks there, did find that a vacuum line was unhooked to my boost guage and put that back in which helped my idle some so now its like between 1500-1700 rpms for idle... the iatv are from the new manifold since i sold the old manifold.
the only changes i have made aside from listed above i got a new fire ring for my wastegate. it sits a tad bit higher than the old one where the old one would leak some exhaust gases, this new one seals but it does push on the waste gate a little. I have yet to unhook the battery and reset it and i havent done any tps sensor relearns/resets (if i have to do one comment and let me know what to do)
i dont have a check engine light at all and i hooked the pin up near the passenger seat and it doesnt blink to show a code

It does this across all 4 spark plugs
went to autozone and grabbed 4 new spark plugs and within 5 minutes of idling they are back here, not dripping with fuel but you can see in the pic
my guesses are:

map sensor giving out
vacuum leak in intake area
tps sensor

I'm supposed to go get tuned this coming wednesday but so far its looking like im going to cancel any help will be appreciated thanks!
Old 12-14-2017, 05:08 PM
GDD Lonely Krew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default re: Assistance Needed: Changed Fuel components in the car -SOLVED Bad MAP Sensor

Admittedly I am not the most well versed in such things, but I do remember hearing that if you switch the MAP and TPS and turn the car on it fries the sensor. Maybe that could be part of the problem? Maybe someone else can confirm, if that is not true please disregard and good luck...
Old 12-14-2017, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Assistance Needed: Changed Fuel components in the car -SOLVED Bad MAP Sensor

What fpr do you have and where is you fuel pressure gauge located?

It’s possible you had a fuel restriction before the inlet of your old fuel rail and now that you swapped rails the rail pressure could be higher causing a rich condition. Did you have the proper oem washers installed on the fuel feed banjo fitting on the oem rail before?
Old 12-14-2017, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

would make sense lol i would rather it throw a check engine light then to still work and run this bad.. my god... i can research more on this and at least i admitted it vs "nope never had them in the wrong places"
Old 12-14-2017, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
What fpr do you have and where is you fuel pressure gauge located?

It’s possible you had a fuel restriction before the inlet of your old fuel rail and now that you swapped rails the rail pressure could be higher causing a rich condition. Did you have the proper oem washers installed on the fuel feed banjo fitting on the oem rail before?
I have the aem adjustable fuel pressure regulator, its located just under the manifold so i can adjust it with ease. the fuel rail i had before was bone stock from what i see. I didnt think to re-adjust the fuel pressure regulator after installing the edelbrock one so that may be it
Old 12-14-2017, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes he wants to know what your pressure is set to....do you have a gauge Installed?

if it' set to a higher pressure it would cause a rich condition. If you don' have a gauge to be able to adjust properly I would probably advise trying your stock fpr
Old 12-14-2017, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
Yes he wants to know what your pressure is set to....do you have a gauge Installed?

if it' set to a higher pressure it would cause a rich condition. If you don' have a gauge to be able to adjust properly I would probably advise trying your stock fpr
I do have a guage mounted so i can check when i get home and i do have the stock fpr so i can swap them out to see if it helps. I better grab some more spark plugs tho
Old 12-14-2017, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrellD
I have the aem adjustable fuel pressure regulator, its located just under the manifold so i can adjust it with ease. the fuel rail i had before was bone stock from what i see. I didnt think to re-adjust the fuel pressure regulator after installing the edelbrock one so that may be it
I wanted to know where you were getting your fuel pressure reading from before, I’m assuming before the rail maybe on top of the stock filter? If you had the wrong washer installed at the banjo bolt on the rail (causing a restriction) your pre rail pressure would be higher then the actual rail. So now with the new rail and the restriction gone you have higher pressure causing a rich condition.

You need to stop running the car with a 10.0afr. You could connect to Neptune with a laptop, start the car and adjust the “overall fuel trim” until the idle leans out. Or if you don’t feel comfortable messing with the tune you could try lowering the fuel pressure with your fpr and see if you can get it to lean out that way.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

10-4 will give it a shot tomorrow when I get home
Old 12-14-2017, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Before you change anything, I suggest you connect to the car with your laptop and start datalogging while the car idles... see what the MAP sensor value is. If you rev the car up to 2000 rpm and the MAP value isn't significant vacuum... you either have a bad MAP sensor or an obstruction allowing the MAP sensor to get a true reading. If this isn't it, make the changes in fuel pressure and then in the tune as suggested above.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright guys, did a lil snooping around this morning and figured I'd see what is up... Sooo I took the throttle body off and looked at it, cleaned it up...then I noticed as I was cleaning the butterfly that it closed better and then looking at it more I noticed the door wouldn't close all the way and air was leaking past! I tightened the screw well over tighten it to where it was hard to open the throttle then loosened it to where it can be as close to closed as possible without sticking, cleaned some carbon off of everything and fired her up, idle was down at 1k! Afr was all over the place but far from 10-11 stuff and of course the plugs I just bought = fouled so grabbing a new set and tossing them in when I get some sleep working swing shift sucks but its my last night so after I sleep some its dash to town and grab plugs to put in
Old 12-15-2017, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What TB do you have?

some TB do not have an idle adjust screw, in that case u adjust the idle by adjusting the opening of the butterfly so it can be normal to have a small gap. Sounds like you have the idle correct at 1k just wanted to point out not to worry about the gap and adjust it to wherever you prefer your idle at.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
What TB do you have?

some TB do not have an idle adjust screw, in that case u adjust the idle by adjusting the opening of the butterfly so it can be normal to have a small gap. Sounds like you have the idle correct at 1k just wanted to point out not to worry about the gap and adjust it to wherever you prefer your idle at.
Thanks! And its an edelbrock throttle body not sure on the size but its pretty big it had carbon on it and I kept thinking well what have I changed in the setup and throttle body was one I'm guessing old setup guy had his with it open but now its fully closed and idles at 1k. The screw that stops the spring from closing all the way i turned it down so it could do so freely. I slept all day since I worked nights but I will grab some new spark plugs and go at it today and keep everyone posted
Old 12-19-2017, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well posting an update. since i was taking the car to get tuned i decided to get it towed to the tuning shop and let them do what they do best. didnt get to start it again due to an early christmas and work but .. did find a small leak by the throttle body. tomorrows the big day so getting it towed tonight and going up there tomorrow to see how it all goes. looking for low 400's since i plan on dailying it. my rx8 is killing me on gas right now. will post updates and let everyone know if it was tuning related to the richness
Old 12-20-2017, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Issue was a bad map sensor. we got the car towed to the tuning shop and it was indeed a bad map sensor, too bad it wasnt bad enough to trip the check engine light, waiting on some more parts to come in and we will get it tuned for some power! thanks you all for helping!!
Old 12-22-2017, 06:21 PM
I like the tuna here

Default Re: Assistance Needed: Changed Fuel components in the car -SOLVED Bad MAP Sensor

Awesome, glad to hear you figured it out and that it wasn't an expensive fix. Thanks for updating the thread!