Notices

Anyone use this 2-step method instead of buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use this 2-step method instead of buy it?

With a msd box that uses the rpm module pills. Use 2 wires coming out of the box and connect to your pill. Run a inline switch to it and select anyone rpm you want. While setting your rev limiter with HOndata. You should be able to make it a 2 step with the module pill in the box. Just seeing if anyone did that before? I am not sure if I explained it right. I heard this info from someone...

Thanks
Old 08-23-2004, 01:03 PM

Default Re: Anyone use this 2-step method instead of buy it? (redturbocivic)

Hondata manages the Revlimits by cutting off fuel to the individal cylenders not spark. MSD does it by cutting off spark. It can be done but dont know how close it will hold the desired rpm. I know my hondata 3 step holds my desired rpm right on the money, i want 6200 thats what i get. MSD make a box that does the same thing, i think it is about 60 bucks.

Good luck, it will work. let us know what you think about it.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i see what you are saying. thats a pretty good idea, i might have to give that a try myself.
Old 08-23-2004, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Anyone use this 2-step method instead of buy it? (fipracing_com)

switch to aem ems. i can get 12 psi sitting in neutral with the aem 2 step rev limiter.

nany way by turning off the switch you would be eliminating the pill in the msd box. right? well with no pill does the msd rev limit become unlimited or does it revert to some default limit?
Old 08-23-2004, 01:49 PM

Default Re: Anyone use this 2-step method instead of buy it? (93TurboSi)

let me tell you, i have done this. it was easy to do.

if you already have a msd with soft rev touch, all you have to do is find to pins that will fit into the msd ( i have pins because i work on large cable connectors at work). then connect a wire to each pin. on one wire it doesnt matter which one, connect a msd pill inline with it, this line will be your rev limiter. if you dont have a pill just buy a resistor at radio shack. like a 8.2k resistor. this means your redline will be 8200.

then get a variable resistor from radio shack. the one i got went from 0-10k. then wire that to the other wire of the msd.

it's kind of hard to explain. i had mine set up with a single throw doulbe pole switch (stdt). that way if you hit the switch one way it will activate your variable resistor, when this resistor was actviated you can change your rpms from 0-10k. which means your car will not rev over what you set it to. for ex. when the switch was set to the variable resistor, all you had to do was give the car some gas and see where the rpms sat. adjust the resistor to any rpm level you want for burnouts, racing with slicks on the track, racing on the street, racing for any type of conditions, whatever. it was cool have, easy to adjust.

my resistor that i had set for my redline was a msd pill that i had which was 8200.
so at the track i would do my burnout and then stage, hit the switch one way to activate my 2 step which i had set to 6000, slightly engage the clutch, floor the gas and then when it was time to go i just hit the switch the other way and now the redline was at 8200.

way cheaper than buying all that msd stuff. all that suff i bought was less than 10 bux. if you go the msd route, you've got to get the msd 2 or 3step module $60, and then buy the adjustable rpm module $50.
you need the msd 2 or 3 step to even make the msd adjustable rpm module work.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone use this 2-step method instead of buy it? (torr)

Do you have a pic of the work Torr??
Old 08-23-2004, 04:07 PM

man, it's a been a while since i made one. i drew a schematic and everything. i'll try to find it or redraw it again.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use the uberdata VSS 2 step on my turbo car and can make 6psi in neutral

on my all motor hatch i use MSD just cause i got it as a gift, the MSD revlimiter is so much faster than the uberdata, but both work well.

fuel cut revlimiters can be dealy especially on nitrous, since you unequally fill the cylinder with **** and cut the fuel but still have spark, this is how dodge neons are also.......nitrous owns them
Old 08-23-2004, 04:41 PM

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

That's what I was about to point out. I've personally had a nitrous backfire with my MSD dis-2 on my cavalier a couple years back, and this was with a plastic intake manifold! Haha well needless to say the pressure of it blew my filter off my intake and i saw some flame, melted some wires. not pretty.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It'll work Rod, trust me...
Old 08-23-2004, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Anyone use this 2-step method instead of buy it? (tony1)

Old 08-23-2004, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone use this 2-step method instead of buy it? (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It'll work Rod, trust me... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I trust you. Just checking for any cons that go with it before trying to do it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fipracing_com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> It can be done but dont know how close it will hold the desired rpm. I know my hondata 3 step holds my desired rpm right on the money, i want 6200 thats what i get. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would also like to know if it holds it right on. I need to get my motor running right before I even think of this