Notices

Anyone know anything about VATN turbos

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2001, 10:50 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know anything about VATN turbos

(variable area turbine nozzle) turbos.....interesting little thing i was reading about, but i have a question....i read that wastegates are not needed because the boost is controlled by the size of the varying A/R ratios...but...how would one "turn up the boost" like lets say the turbo worked great....but then you wanted to run more max boost pressure, like originally you cant run more than 10psi, but now your built and can run 25....how would the VATN turbos adjust because...originally it was designed to max out at 10psi, or at least that is what i gathered.
Im also a LITTLE confused about how it works because i read like a small blurb about them, they sound very interesting though.
Old 07-20-2001, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone know anything about VATN turbos (Ricehornet)

Borrow someone's Maximum Boost book by Corkey Bell. There is a whole chapter in there on VATN turbos.
Old 07-20-2001, 05:53 AM
G

I believe the vanes are controlled just as an internal WG is. There is a pneumatic actuator and a shaft. You can find some info at Garrett's website, you may have to correct the spelling. Since it is controlled that way, you can add a boost controller. As for the durability of the internal parts, and cost, it may be cheaper to use rgular turbos. But if you can change the ar ratios during top end to allow more ex gasses to flow, maybe a properly sized vatn turbo can be better than a standard one.....hmmmmm..
Old 07-20-2001, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone know anything about VATN turbos (G)

there is no doubt that VATN turbos are the most efficient and produce the most amount of power per unit, the reason you have never seen them on a car is that the price is extremely restrictive. Not even the top race teams will bother with them. The varying angle of the exterior vanes actually controls the amount of pressure the turbo produces. the vanes can be computer/soenoid actuated.
Old 07-20-2001, 08:15 AM
New User

Check Miata.net, do a search, whole lot of info. I belive they had some problems with quality and Corky stopped selling them.

Old 07-20-2001, 09:59 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Anyone know anything about VATN turbos (94turboteg2)

yeah i can see more problems arising due to more complex parts and stuff.....
so i guess if the vanes themselves are controlled externally, you can adjust boost that way....
Old 07-20-2001, 10:43 AM
New User

They should be adjustable in that way. Although you don't have nearly the variety of sizes and trim levels as you'd find elsewhere; I believe the top model Aerocharger is rated for like 300 hp max. Big problems arising on these little buggers include carbon deposits seizing up the movable vanes, and other problems caused by thermal expansion. Supposedly Garrett has a next-gen. VATN turbo on the way that is more effective. Promising technology but needs work.