Notices

aem ems users chime in, car not starting once it gets hot.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aem ems users chime in, car not starting once it gets hot.

i have a pretty typical turbo set up, 14.5 psi 317hp 240tq tuned on aem ems, problem is when i run the car hard and then i turn it off, it dosent want to start back up until it cools down. car cranks but wont fire. my normal water temps are 220-230 i know some may think thats high, but thats normal for me.

ive already changed the distributor, coil, ignitor and still it does this, i have fuel pressure, i have spark, but it just wont start up until it cools back down, usually about 5-10minutes.

any ideas? is this somewhat normal?

Old 11-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any CEL lights?

maybe change you IAT senor or swap out with a spare if you have one.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EFbomb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EFbomb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any CEL lights?

maybe change you IAT senor or swap out with a spare if you have one.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont think you can get a cel with aem ems, plus i have the aem IAT sensor and its brand new... also got the aem map sensor...
Old 11-12-2007, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aem ems users chime in, car not starting once it gets hot. (blinx9900)

It's always in the tune... AEM is sometimes too flexible for regular typical setups IMO... If you are comfortable with tuning the AEM on the laptop and playing around with the cranking vs temperature tables, you will eventually get it right and the car will start all the time.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: aem ems users chime in, car not starting once it gets hot. (Tony the Tiger)

If you posted your calibration we maybe able to actually diagnose your issue.
Running at 220-230 is HOT I would not be running the setup at that temp.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

220-230 may be ok if you are seeing that in the aem. imo their honda temp cal is a little off. i think the problem is most likely in your air temp or cranking fuel, thats where it lies most often. does the car crank fire and die, or just crank forever? what if you give it throttle while cranking?
Old 11-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aem ems users chime in, car not starting once it gets hot. (mtber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mtber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you posted your calibration we maybe able to actually diagnose your issue.
Running at 220-230 is HOT I would not be running the setup at that temp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

will do, i'll try and have it up by end of the day.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">220-230 may be ok if you are seeing that in the aem. imo their honda temp cal is a little off. i think the problem is most likely in your air temp or cranking fuel, thats where it lies most often. does the car crank fire and die, or just crank forever? what if you give it throttle while cranking?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it starts everytime when its cold, but once i run it hard and the engine gets hot if i turn it off, it wont start back up, it cranks for ever but never fires, ive tried giving it throttle and it does nothing but if i let it cool off then it starts.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: aem ems users chime in, car not starting once it gets hot. (blinx9900)

almost sounds like a timing issue. once hot, verify timing.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try increasing or decreasing your cranking fuel until you get a pop out of it during cranking when hot. then you know you are on the right track.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: (Jared)

I have the same issue. try sending a new calibration in the ECU menu, & try to fire it up. Thats the trick with mine, i tried everything.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1baddturbosi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1baddturbosi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the same issue. try sending a new calibration in the ECU menu, & try to fire it up. Thats the trick with mine, i tried everything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so does it start everytime now? even when its really hot? or do you have to send the new calibration each time?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try increasing or decreasing your cranking fuel until you get a pop out of it during cranking when hot. then you know you are on the right track.</TD></TR></TABLE>

will do
Old 11-13-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: (blinx9900)

mine u drive it & shut it off a few times then u have to send a new calibration to the ecu.

Its a bitch, carrying my laptop with me everywhere. i called the place where i had it tuned at, because i stopped at a rest-stop on the way home & got stranded. they said to send a new map to the ems. it started right-up

i dunno whats up. im def gonna send my box (1010) to aem & have them take a look at it over the winter
Old 11-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1baddturbosi)

wow that sounds like it sucks!! i hope my problem isent like that
Old 11-14-2007, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have has this issue on an nsx several months back. Increase the initial crank pulse table at the higher temp values, as well as the start extra vs temp table. If the car at least starts for a second thandies, keep increasing the values. There is a few other tricks that you can do if it starts than dies, but generally changing those parameters will get you started.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted hybrid)

thank you will try it out
Old 11-26-2007, 11:51 AM

Since you are local, you may want to come by for me to take a look at it....I many have a permanent solution for you...and yes, it is very possible that it is in the tune.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bisimoto)

I haven't tuned a AEM EMS in awhile so excuse my terminology...it sounds like you need to add some cranking fuel and fuel at start Vs. Temp. It usually takes more fuel to start up when the engine is hot.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (PHDZINE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">220-230 may be ok if you are seeing that in the aem. imo their honda temp cal is a little off.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's more than a little off, it's way off!!! With an actual water temperature of 200, the aem would show 230.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHDZINE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I haven't tuned a AEM EMS in awhile so excuse my terminology...it sounds like you need to add some cranking fuel and fuel at start Vs. Temp. It usually takes more fuel to start up when the engine is hot. </TD></TR></TABLE>
That's exactly what I had to do with mine. Had the same problem as the op.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Chiovnidca)

thanks guys, i still havent had a chance to work on it, ive had to do some maintenance and repair on my DD, i'll see what i can do, if it dosent work i'll pm you bisi thanks and thanks to everyone who chimed in.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's more than a little off, it's way off!!! With an actual water temperature of 200, the aem would show 230.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats not a comforting thought $1500 (with built in uego) and it cant even read water properly just wondering how you know this, its not that i dont believe you i just like to know, did you have an external water gauge and compared it to aem logs or something like that? i run the serial data gauge so my water display temp is straight from the aem... maybe i should get another water temp gauge?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Shooting Star

aem's weird sometimes. you need to have someone that knows that system look at it. Im with alot of people on this board. Its in your parameters in the tune, fuel vs ect. stuff like that
Old 11-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (boosted hybrid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have has this issue on an nsx several months back. Increase the initial crank pulse table at the higher temp values, as well as the start extra vs temp table. If the car at least starts for a second thandies, keep increasing the values. There is a few other tricks that you can do if it starts than dies, but generally changing those parameters will get you started.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is a good starting point. I had this issue on a miata as well and it has everything to do with your temperature vs X tables. There are probably about 5 or 6 different parameters you'll end up playing with.

The supplied honda basemaps are decent from what I remember (It's probably been over 2 yrs since I've used one though) so if this map came from somewhere else you may want to try comparing stock specs to the ones your current map has. Remember, save your current map so you don't lose anything in the process from playing around with your values.

Believe it or not, AEM actually has some good tech support so if you are somewhat knowledgeable you can try giving them a call and they can walk you through some stuff.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PrecisionH23a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Believe it or not, AEM actually has some good tech support so if you are somewhat knowledgeable you can try giving them a call and they can walk you through some stuff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know they usually do, this time they told me i just needed to upgrade my ignition system i knew that couldent be true and thats why i posted on here.