Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

AEM EMS daily driver question/problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM EMS daily driver question/problems

I have a 98 integra ls Turbo running 10psi, AEM EMS, aem wideband, t3 turbo 550 injectors 255 wal fuel pump, intercooler ect. It was tuned at a reputable shop which is supposed to be good with AEM setups. A few questions and maybe these are just charicateristics of the AEM EMS.

1. Starts hard or rather takes 7-12 seconds to start
2. When there is a load that kicks on and off like my A/C it chugs like it wants to dye for a little bit then comes out of it and then the A/C compressor turns off and its ok then kicks back on and it chugs for a few seconds then comes out of it.
3. Randomly dies while coming to a stop, like you will come up to an intersection and push the clutch in and it will just all the sudden turn off. The radio and lights all stay on but it just quits, and then you can just turn the key and re start it and its fine. The also seems to get worse when the A/C is on and seems to happen more frequently
4. Seems that around 3-4K there is like a dead spot where it seems to lack in power and then above 4K the turbo starts to spool and give me the power but it seems to lack from about 3-4K

If you could help me out on any of these questions it would be great!

Thanks
Old 04-27-2010, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: AEM EMS daily driver question/problems

All of the issues you posted are likely things which can be resolved by further tuning.
Contact the shop that tuned the car & inform them of the issues & tell them you want them checked out.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is nothing wrong with the ems. This is alltuning related. As Mtber said contact whoever tuned the car.

1. Starts hard or rather takes 7-12 seconds to start. - This can be cured through the startup menus. Most likely not enough fuel at startup or your cold start isnt properly tuned.

2. When there is a load that kicks on and off like my A/C it chugs like it wants to dye for a little bit then comes out of it and then the A/C compressor turns off and its ok then kicks back on and it chugs for a few seconds then comes out of it. - There are A/C load comps to cure this in the software.

3. Randomly dies while coming to a stop, like you will come up to an intersection and push the clutch in and it will just all the sudden turn off. The radio and lights all stay on but it just quits, and then you can just turn the key and re start it and its fine. The also seems to get worse when the A/C is on and seems to happen more frequently. - This will be both the A/C functions and the idle tables.

4. Seems that around 3-4K there is like a dead spot where it seems to lack in power and then above 4K the turbo starts to spool and give me the power but it seems to lack from about 3-4K - Tuning or accel fuel.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im kind of glad to hear it is in the tune and kind of not.....I wish this would have been solved from the begining since I have been trying to figure out why these things are happening. I was about to get rid of the EMS all together and go with a Hondata S300 setup because this just doesn't seem to work for a daily driver. I will have to bring it back and get it re tuned, possibly elsewhere so I know it is done correctly. I might as well change out the wastegate spring too and turn it up a little since it will have to be re tuned anyways.
Any suggestions on a tuner, a GOOD TUNER with AEM stuff around MN?
Old 04-29-2010, 06:53 AM

AEM is great on daily drivers, I'm close to having 100,000 miles on my 1070.