Notices

AEM EMS genious PLEASE look

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AEM EMS genious PLEASE look

The problem is I can't get the car to idle. If I let off the gas it'll stall. I've searched and tried everything I can possibly think of. Any inputs would great, thanks.

My setup:
B18b
t3/60-1
stock Honda map sensor
dsm 450 injectors
255 walbro
Old 06-08-2004, 03:05 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: AEM EMS genious PLEASE look (Turbo_Siii)

Im by far not an AEM genius but have you dont the obvious?

Setup your map for all your sensors and injectors?
Set the throttle range?
Synchronized Ignition timing with EMS?

Basically all the steps outlined in the AEMpro User Guide.

What base map are you using and what is your timing and AFR in the idle regions?
Old 06-08-2004, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you at least start be loading one of JP's 440 maps for any b series ? Make sure your cold start fuel settings arn't a crazy %. what it your idle % at try about 42% if your far from there.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what map did u use as a base calibration?

just use the turbo calibration.....it doesn't matter which one...just make sure it's the one for your correct box.

then go into setup/primary injectors and select the dsm injectors in the wizard.
NEXT.....open up the fuel map(table view), right click and click on change injector/fuel pressure....then fill out the info. this will rescale the fuel map for the dsm 450's.

cold start is gonna need to be adjusted if the car is dieing while cold, but you wont know any of this untill you start datalogging, you need to datalog the main parameters or safely you can watch the main parameters and adjust the maps as need be. if while it's cold and it's stalling, watch the air:fuel and see whats popping, if it's lean, go into engine start/warmup enrichment/graph and drag the graph up in that area untill it's in ur desirable air:fuel.

this is how i worked out my stalling issues from a cold start, now i can just drive right after start up.

also....something i just figured out and learned.....i've tuned my air:fuel to a 11.5:1 under warm days, and i've been watching my air:fuel while i was doing passes in cold weather, it was going lean....WTF! went back to old maps, but still the same........was wondering why it has changed with me not changing anything......ahhhhhhh.....i go into fuel/advanced fuel/fuel trim/air temp correction.
now things are back to what they suppose to be :D

hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks guys for all your replys. I've tried everything you all have posted. I'll keep working on it and let yous know....aem= owns my brain
Old 06-09-2004, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo_Siii)

make sure that all the options under Idle<Options are set to allow the vehicle to actually enter the idle condition. It's ok to start off with rediculous numbers just to know that the ems is actually using the functions related to idle. After you assure that you are entering the idle condition tune the idle%vs target table. I've found and easy way to do this is to open the Idle Target Base Table as well as the idle%vs targe table and also the idle parameters.Then start from the highest rpm that you think you might need to idle the car. I usually start around 2000 cause its cold here in the winter. Set the entire target table to that value, then look at the parameter idle learned value. it should settle on a number, ideally zero. If it isn't 0 or close to it you have to adjust the idle%vs target table to get it as close to 0 as possible. Then work your way down in rpm's by setting the entire target table to the next lower target in the idle%vs target table. Make sure that you are actually getting the correct target by viewing the parameter idle target and that the value matches the rpm you are trying to tune for. This table is very important to idle quality, it sets the base number for the computer to tell the idle control motor where to start from. If the values are way off a quickly falling rpm may not be caught before a stall.

Do you have a wideband? I find that cars idle much easier at a richer AF ratio than most people try to shoot for. At least until you get some of the other related tables nailed down.