Notices

Abnormal Fluttering Sound/Low Compression Accross the board, Causes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 04:46 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abnormal Fluttering Sound/Low Compression Accross the board, Causes?

Specs: Turboed Intercooled B16 (at 10 psi with Hondata 4B)
After a race with a new 328i my car started to run horrible.

Excessive amounts of oil(about 1/3 qt of oil) filled my oil resevoirs from the Crankcase, and (1/5 qt of oil) secondary resevoirs coming from the top of the valve cover. I did a compression check while the motor was warm (5-8 minutes of idling).

90 - 105 psi accross all 4 cylinders(Going to borrow another Comp Gauge to compare to make sure the gauge isn't bad)

There's a abnormal fluttering sound that seems to be coming from inside the valvetrain. I can see a slight leak of coolant and oil(mixed) coming from the head.

After seeing all these symptoms I felt the cylinder rings were okay (even compression across the board), and felt the Head gasket may be leaking.

There's alot of things that are going on through my mind right now but don't want to confuse myself anymore that I've already had. This is the first time I've posted on here for awhile, I'm hoping I could get some good luck.

What is my problem?
Old 01-01-2003, 10:37 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Abnormal Fluttering Sound/Low Compression Accross the board, Causes? (HDxRacer)

ttt
Old 01-01-2003, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Abnormal Fluttering Sound/Low Compression Accross the board, Causes? (HDxRacer)

Compressionis very low and should be above 140 depending on the compression pistons you are using.
Try a wet compression test, This is when you take out your sparkplug, put about a capfull of oil into the cylinder and do the compression test on that cylinder over. It will probably bump the compression up alot.

If so, the reason is that the oil seals the rings and tells you that the rings are bad.

The oil in your catcan is from the blowby through the rings. The head gasket is probably leaking too from the boost you are running.

What head gasket, head bolts are you using?
Looks like you need a motor rebuild!
Old 01-01-2003, 01:22 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Abnormal Fluttering Sound/Low Compression Accross the board, Causes? (crxhybrid1320)

Thank you for a quick reply
I'm running a completely stock 45k miles B16(stock gaskets). I ran the dry and wet again last night and it did bump up the compression. I started the car to see whether the exhaust gasses are leaking from out of the cylinder head and there's a great deal leaking. I know the headgasket is leaking badly, but my question is, is it likely that my rings may still be bad. My Headgasket showed signs of leaking along time ago but I ignored it thinking something else.I've never had experience troubleshooting a case like this before and don't know the "most likely" problems.

I'll repeat my question just in case:
Is it likely that my cylinder rings are EVENLY worn accross the board or is it just the headgasket that's causing it to leak across the board and the rings may be okay?

Old 01-01-2003, 01:24 PM
Trial User

I forgot to say one more thing. The wet test bumped me up 50 psi (100 - 150) according to my gauge
Old 01-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need rings end of discussion!

When the head is removed when you do the rings, you need to replace it with a factory honda Headgasket!
Or you can do a low compression headgasket to to prevent detonation!

Should replace the rod bearing and main bearings also when the engine is apart!