Notices

1997 Honda Prelude SH Turbo??? Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Honda Prelude SH Turbo??? Need Help!

Hi, I have a 1997 Honda Prelude SH and I put the turbonetics turbo kit in it. Here the link: http://www.turboneticsinc.com/ts_components.htm
I put in new wiseco 8.3-8.5 piston in it an after the rebuild without the turbo the car ran fine except it was slower but the vtec and atts all work fine. Now with the turbo install the car is still slow. After 4-5,000 rpm is doesn't go anywhere. What can be the problem? The two additional injectors that are on the intake are working and firing more fuel into the engine. Could it be blowoff valve is releasing the air with little pressure. Because i rev the car a little and feel air already coming out. or maybe a boost leak somewhere. anyone had the same kit install or have the same problem on any other car.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have a boost gauge? If not, you might want to get one to see if you're actually creating any boost at all.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bubs)

Nope no boost gauge install. I am still waiting on my apexi boost controller that can display boost.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm guessing that you have a major boost leak.

When you say that the car doesn't go anywhere after 4 or 5k rpm, does that mean it doesn't feel like it has any power and will still go to redline, or is the engine cutting out?
Old 08-24-2005, 04:24 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (prelude1911)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelude1911 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nope no boost gauge install. I am still waiting on my apexi boost controller that can display boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no way in hell I'd ever get into it on a newly boosted car without a boost gauge at least. god only knows how it's set up and what it "could" skyrocket to.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:17 AM

Default Re: (stackz)

for no boost gauge
Old 08-24-2005, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (stackz)

it lags when it goes from 4-7. it goes but it rev up really slow. it feels like there isn't any power.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sell all your stuff and never work on cars again.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (per4mance)

wat that suppose to mean?
Old 08-24-2005, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by per4mance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sell all your stuff and never work on cars again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Excellent advice.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:53 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelude1911 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wat that suppose to mean?</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you have any tuning or anything to monitor your boost? I know you don't have a controller, very bright

Very Stupid if you don't.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spyz34)

Right now I don't have anything to monitor the boost. I still waiting on my apexi boost controller that can read how much boost the car making but it taking a damn while for it to come in. If it takes any longer I am just going get a autometer gauge and plug it in. Also I will be installing the air/fuel gauge to see if the car running lean or rich.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:46 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

dont you have to resleeve the h22 in order to use aftermarket pistons.... that could be a problem as well

Modified by wantboost at 9:11 AM 8/26/2005
Old 08-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont you have to resleeve the h22 in order to use aftermarket sleeves.... that could be a problem as well</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good point, did you resleeve your block before you put the new pistons in?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bubs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelude1911 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I put in new wiseco 8.3-8.5 piston in it an after the rebuild
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bubs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Good point, did you resleeve your block before you put the new pistons in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It seems that 'after the rebuild' would indicate he sleeved it, but that's just what I took it to mean.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by per4mance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sell all your stuff and never work on cars again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have nothing to contribute to the thread then don't post. I'm sure you came out of the womb knowing absolutely everything about turbocharging cars Either try and help him out, or shut up

To the orginal poster, as has been stated, don't boost (or attempt to) until you get a device that can read boost. Until you know what's going on with your boost, you won't be able to figure out your lack of power. Also, what are you using to tune?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM.Accord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM.Accord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you have nothing to contribute to the thread then don't post. I'm sure you came out of the womb knowing absolutely everything about turbocharging cars Either try and help him out, or shut up
</TD></TR></TABLE>

your right i didn't come out knowing everything, but to me cars and being a mechanic is very natural to me, i can focus better on it then anything else and it all is just about common since.I knew what to do and from reading up on things before i jumped into doing it, so if this guy wants to have a fast honda or anything he needs to do some research before he does anything.Thats common since.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The block has been resleeve and hone. The kit i bought have two additional injectors install to shoot more fuel into the car. Turbonetics design the kit to add the right amount of fuel and air. So basically all I needed to do is bolt and wired everything on and the car is safe to drive. Until I get into higher boost I will get a a new fuel management system and find someone experience to tune my car. Right now I just trying figure out what wrong.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by per4mance &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats common since. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Some would say the same thing about spelling...

Anyhow,

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelude1911 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now with the turbo install the car is still slow. After 4-5,000 rpm is doesn't go anywhere. What can be the problem?</TD></TR></TABLE>

First, stop driving 4-7k until you get something to monitor boost.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelude1911 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Could it be blowoff valve is releasing the air with little pressure. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It could be, but again, we don't know that you're building boost.

Right now your best bet would be to wait until your boost controller shows up + BUY A BOOST gauge.

After you get the gauge we'll be able to help you much better.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tomakit)

like i said being a mechanic comes more natural to me then anything else, and that inlcudes paying attention in school and learning how to spell.So i fucked up spelling a few words, that isn't going to blow my engine or cause me so much money to fix that it hurts.All i am asying about common since is, take your time when building something, do research, don't just jump into doing things, in the end it save headaches and money.Peace
Old 08-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's really hard to tell what the problem could be.. I know a somewhat common problem is to forget to put the firing ring between the manifold and the wastegate or to put it in backwards. So it basically leaves the wastegate open all the time and doesn't allow any boost to build.

Could also be a boost leak.. There's a way to make a tester out of a pvc pipe cap, silicone connector and a valve stem on the cap. You stick the cap on the IC piping that would connect to your turbo and pump air into it with an air compressor. Then you can listen for any leaks, etc.. Usually that test is only needed for smaller leaks though.

Good luck though, I know how much I hate hard to troubleshoot problems like that.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:12 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by prelude1911 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The block has been resleeve and hone. The kit i bought have two additional injectors install to shoot more fuel into the car. Turbonetics design the kit to add the right amount of fuel and air. So basically all I needed to do is bolt and wired everything on and the car is safe to drive. Until I get into higher boost I will get a a new fuel management system and find someone experience to tune my car. Right now I just trying figure out what wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the fuel management turbonetics supplies is ****... sell it.