Notices

boost problems with turbo prelude....

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 08:52 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost problems with turbo prelude....

Ok, here's my setup:
fmax kit w/ T3/T04B, 550cc injectors, hondata 2b, msd digital 6 w/HVC, walbro 255lph pump, aem fuel rail/fpr, sbc-id boost controller...

here's the problem:
I've had this setup since jan 02 and for the last 6 months at WOT or close to it the car will boost and then bog or hesitate....at first there was a huge cloud of black exhaust so i figured it was a boost leak, but after i tightened up the ic piping it would still hesitate but it would still bog at WOT now without the black smoke. The boost gauge needle doesn't fluctuate either so i'm ruling out a leak. I would also like to mention that someone ripped off my sbc-id controller display, but these problems started to develop right before it was gone...so i was also gonna rule out that problem as the cause. Recently, when i boost hard it still bogs but i boost all the way to 10psi, when the boost controller set the limit to 8 psi and i have a 6.5psi wg spring.

Some suggestions i have been entertaining:
1. the car was tuned during cold weather, i could be getting a very rich mixture and it bogs.
2. my plug wires are stock and they may have gone bad...suggesting an ignition problem...my plugs are 1 step colder and haven't fouled.
3. I could be losing compression somewhere in one of the cylinders.

Help me please!!
Old 07-07-2003, 09:00 AM

Default Re: boost problems with turbo prelude.... (smoothludey2)

the first thing i would do is get hoter plugs and bigger wires and if that doesnt work get it tuned again and just maybe you will walk away with a smile. thank you have a great day.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: boost problems with turbo prelude.... (rynolone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rynolone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the first thing i would do is get hoter plugs and bigger wires and if that doesnt work get it tuned again and just maybe you will walk away with a smile. thank you have a great day.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You dont want to run hotter plugs than factory, usually guys run 2 step COLDER plugs, to keep cumbustion temeratures down. A turbo really heats things up. Physics....you compress things, they heat up

Rob
Old 07-07-2003, 09:26 AM
New User

Default Re: boost problems with turbo prelude.... (rjardy)

I won't mess with the plugs...how much bigger should the plug wires be? i believe stock wires are 7mm...would going 8 or 8.5 be sufficient? Also, what brand do you guys recommend? NGK? Magnecore? Should i also replace the cap/rotor?
Old 07-07-2003, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As long as your wires are not defective, there is no reason to mess with them now, they aren't your problem. If you think they might be the issue, I would replace them with NGK blue wires. If it's an ignition problem, it's either your plug gap, or something is up with your cap/rotor.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:00 AM

Put it on a dyno w/tuner. Do a compression test, if you're boostin 10 psi on stock bottom end, its going to go sooner or later....Might be already gone.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:22 PM
New User

Default Re: boost problems with turbo prelude.... (MordecaiPSI)

i will test the compression asap...however, i'm not convinced that the motor has blown...it runs like the day the turbo was put on...just when i go WOT it bogs....if i boost slowly it runs fine.

i'll test the compression, then i'll change the wires/plugs possibly cap/rotor as well.
I'm thinking maybe the boost controller, or lack thereof, may be a factor too.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:02 AM
New User

TTT...anyone got a clue?
Old 07-10-2003, 09:30 AM

Sounds to me like your map sensor is seeing boost. If you are using check valves make sure that they are working properly or add some more.
Old 07-18-2003, 07:34 AM
New User

Default Re: (TURBO-JET LUDE)

i was wondering...could a very dirty/clogged air filter cause hesitation at high boost? cuz i took a look at the filter and it's mad dirty.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:27 PM

Default Re: boost problems with turbo prelude.... (rynolone)

the first thing i would do is get hoter plugs and bigger wires and if that doesnt work get it tuned again and just maybe you will walk away with a smile. thank you have a great day.
\
what a retard dont listen to this guy hes a d/a