Notices

~Piston Installation~ <-- Do it Yourself Job?

Old 08-02-2003, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ~Piston Installation~ <-- Do it Yourself Job?

A friend of mine burned up his piston rings and a different friend and I think we could save him some money by doing the job for him. New pistons would be installed on a 99 GSR-- and I just recently did a timing belt, oil pump, and water pump installation on my 94 GSR.... I know getting down to the oil pump won't be difficult. So tell me-- is there really anything I should be worried about? Anything crazy about dealing with the crank shaft? Let me know what you guys think... and oh yea-- how much more time is involved in the job once I've gotten all the way down to pulling the oil pump?
Thanks in Advance,
Zack

Old 08-02-2003, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ~Piston Installation~ <-- Do it Yourself Job? (92TEGsrSC)

It can be done...but most likely everything wont be plug and play. You need to get the sleeves honed, everything torqued right, and the tools you would have to buy, and risks...imo arent worth the $150-$250 the shop will charge
Old 08-02-2003, 10:42 PM

i've done it twice, hardest part is getting the pistons into the ******* cylinder with my cheap *** piston ring compressor. I wouldnt pull my motor apart to replace the rings unless i had new pistons + rods to go with it, just not worth the hassle otherwise. You may want to consider replacing other **** sicne that motor was obviouslly beat on pretty badly if the rings went on a 99.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:50 PM

Default Re: ~Piston Installation~ <-- Do it Yourself Job? (ArtOwnzMe)

my friend let his brother do an oil change for him and his brother forgot to put the washer on the nut for the oil pan... his oil was leaking and he didn't know it. A few days later he was racing and he couldn't build enough oil pressure to kick into V-tech... he his a "rev-limiter" at 5K rpm. Anyway... he checked his oil and he had maybe 1 QT left.... So now he's been burning up oil like none other... he needs to add more oil every 2 weeks. We aren't completely sure that it's the rings-- but I don't see it being anything else... I'm mechanically inclined to a degree and wouldn't mind the challenge-- and learning experience. After all, it's best to learn things on other guys cars-- right?

Additional Questions:
1. Given these symptoms-- do you think it could be anything other than the rings?

2. How much longer do you think it'd take me-- beyond dropping the oil pan and taking off the oil pump?

3. How much would it cost to have his cylinders bored out a little bit? I don't doubt that his cylinder walls might not look so healthy.

Thanks again!

Zack
Old 08-02-2003, 10:57 PM

1) I seriouslly doubt anyone has enough oil pressure to kick into "v-tech". You need to replace all of the main/rod bearings. The pistons themselves may have gotten damaged too. Theres only 2 places u can burn oil from, the piston rings and the valve guides.

2) Time varies grreatly on skill, experience, and tools.

3) It cost me $100 to get my cylinders honed.
Old 08-03-2003, 01:38 AM

you can lose oil through the pcv system blake
Old 08-03-2003, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92TEGsrSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my friend let his brother do an oil change for him and his brother forgot to put the washer on the nut for the oil pan... his oil was leaking and he didn't know it. A few days later he was racing and he couldn't build enough oil pressure to kick into V-tech... he his a "rev-limiter" at 5K rpm. Anyway... he checked his oil and he had maybe 1 QT left.... So now he's been burning up oil like none other... he needs to add more oil every 2 weeks. We aren't completely sure that it's the rings-- but I don't see it being anything else... I'm mechanically inclined to a degree and wouldn't mind the challenge-- and learning experience. After all, it's best to learn things on other guys cars-- right?

Additional Questions:
1. Given these symptoms-- do you think it could be anything other than the rings?

2. How much longer do you think it'd take me-- beyond dropping the oil pan and taking off the oil pump?

3. How much would it cost to have his cylinders bored out a little bit? I don't doubt that his cylinder walls might not look so healthy.

Thanks again!

Zack</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't know V-tech came out with a phone for a car.

1. Plan for a thorough inspection. Don't just assume that he needs rings. You better plan for more than that and some down time.

2. Dropping oil pan and removing oil pump...a long way. You will want to remove the engine from the car. ...I will stop there. Do you own a Helms manual for this car? If not, don't bother doing this. Or get one.

3. 100 or so to Hone. But if they are too bad...plan for the next size up pistons.

Did you do a compression test on this motor? Leak down?
Old 08-03-2003, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Down to a quart eh? Definitely check you oil pan and screen on your vtec solenoid assembly for copper flakes. If you see them, then you will have to get new bearings.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installing pistons isnt the hardest thing, but there is a list of things you MUST do:

1. Sleeves bored and honed to make the cylinder a true bore.

2. Check the ring gap for each cylinder. If they arent within spec you have to file them down, a ring filer is a nice tool to use.

3. Compress the compression/oil rings with a ring compressor and tap the piston into the cylinder.

If you have to file the rings, that is the most time consuming part. Filing by hand and checking the trueness of the ring by a micrometer is not the way to do it, I learned this the hard way. Buy a ring filer and ring compressor, it will make your life 10x easier.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy a helms dude. There is too much involved.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:15 PM

Default Re: ~Piston Installation~ <-- Do it Yourself Job? (94goldjungsr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94goldjungsr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can lose oil through the pcv system blake </TD></TR></TABLE>

He said BURN oil, not leak oil
Old 08-04-2003, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should really do a leak down or compression test on it first before you decide to really do anything. I was forced to do rings when I blew up my only motor. So I just honed it myself (got a NAPA for 80bucks) got a good ring compressor (10 bucks) and rings (100 bucks) and bearings for 100 bucks. I'm a really poor college kid. If money is a problem just do it your self. Once I had everything apart it went by really fast maybe like an hour. but I didn't replace the main bearings. I probably should have. If you got the money build that ****.