***The Official Nitrous Thread***

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re: ***The Official Nitrous Thread***

4500 seems low, anyone know good rpm ranges for a honda motor? I'm trying to work out the vtec window switch so 5500-9000rpm shifting at about 8100
Old 03-21-2011, 05:30 PM
I serve phở for my babies

From the looks of it, the lower the nitrous hits, the tougher it is on your motor. I have forged internals so it doesn't hurt me too bad. If your motor has cast pistons these guys would probably recommend shooting higher in the RPMs
Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spray my motor at like ~4 sometimes and I've never had any failures at all. With a bigger shot though i'll spray a little higher up so the torque doesnt demolish my engine lol.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I really hope not to damage my motor I think its mostly people with little knowlege just hooking up the jets and going about it. I really need to get a wideband and put the rest together.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SiRCiviC94
I really hope not to damage my motor I think its mostly people with little knowlege just hooking up the jets and going about it. I really need to get a wideband and put the rest together.
Yeah thats how most of the poeple blow their engines up around here. They just slap on a kit and go, thinking they are alright.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ohsnapzafingcu
i'm a dry shot with the fuel through the ecu. I have a major problem now.. Yesterday I was out tuning all day through 2nd and 3rd gear on spray with 7's.. I go to the track, pull the plugs and the 7's look great. Then I throw a little more fuel in there just to be safe and I switched to 8's and i did one pass, through the middle of 4th gear my car is starting to cut out and loser power. I pulled the plugs in the pits and melted the porcelin and ground strap off on my #4 cylinder, and my #3 cylinder burned the ground strap off.

it's a .042 (75 shot) engaging at 4500 rpms, initially i pull out 5* of timing, then i slowy go down to 4*. I'm at about 24-25* of timing at WOT while i'm spraying. Fuel is e85

Here's a pic that's uploaded from my FB
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id...562651&theater

Left plug is the #4 cylinder, and right is #3
i can't see the pics

4th gear having more load can be the cause of the otherwise fine tune in 2nd/3th, but strange there is no specking going on in 3th but severe detonation in 4th.

does'nt seem right, wich afr's where you running at the track? you running a wideband? how much extra fuel did you throw in?

it's possible to create detonation from overly rich mixture... throw back in the 7's, restore the tune to where it was fine, make a 2nd gear pull and pull the plugs. if they're fine make a third gear pull and pull the plugs. if ignition and fuel still read fine on the plugs make a 4th gear pull or (if your scared to do a 4th gear pull on the road) make a 3th gear pull with ya brakes on slowing down acceleration and simulating a 4th gear pull. check plugs again. don't just throw in some fuel on a otherwise fine tune.

plugs giving out is like a fuse blowing out, that's why i like iridiums for tuning (they blow out at the sign of detonation). expensive fuses tough
Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From the looks of it, the lower the nitrous hits, the tougher it is on your motor. I have forged internals so it doesn't hurt me too bad. If your motor has cast pistons these guys would probably recommend shooting higher in the RPMs
think about your torque

if you have a stock b16 on a 100shot and 94 octane you can shoot from 4500-5000rpms

if you've got a PRO1 12cr LS-vtec on a 100shot and 94 octane i would'nt spray at 4500-5000rpm, that'll probably yield you near 300wtq

it's all about common sense
Old 03-22-2011, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

wolve I need your help with setting up my ls for nitrous. I wanna control it through the s300 and I already have a aem widband in the car. its roughly 10.2 to 10.4 to 1 cr Id like to spray a hundred shot. just bought all new dynotune wet kit. when would be safe for it to hit? I feel like a complete rookie when it comes to nitrous. also what is a good afr to shoot for? running ngk bkr7es already. I will be doing alot of plug reading when I get the kit on. Im sure it will take a bottle or so to get it dialed in just right.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMekB20
i was thinking a 100 wet shot...the motor has AEBS sleeves with 14.1 SRP pistons
what are your clearances? you might be able to get away with Q16

altough pump e85, rocket e85 or 'home' blend e85 would be nice for cooling
Old 03-22-2011, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
wolve I need your help with setting up my ls for nitrous. I wanna control it through the s300 and I already have a aem widband in the car. its roughly 10.2 to 10.4 to 1 cr Id like to spray a hundred shot. just bought all new dynotune wet kit. when would be safe for it to hit? I feel like a complete rookie when it comes to nitrous. also what is a good afr to shoot for? running ngk bkr7es already. I will be doing alot of plug reading when I get the kit on. Im sure it will take a bottle or so to get it dialed in just right.
@ what rpm do you shift and where do you fall back?

single fogger wet @ a 100shot is tricky, be sure to check distribution first pull.
start out with the 50 jets to examine plugs/distribution on the first few pulls so that you won't **** up on a decent shot.

aim for 10.5-11afr to make up for uneven distribution
Old 03-22-2011, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good info, im looking into what a/f should be on the dry kit and how to get it even across on it, im getting close now clean up the switchs and mount / install nmu
Old 03-22-2011, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SiRCiviC94
good info, im looking into what a/f should be on the dry kit and how to get it even across on it, im getting close now clean up the switchs and mount / install nmu
aim for 11.5-12.0 afr, even tough it's a dry shot still check plugs for timing/distribution

better safe then sorry
Old 03-22-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by wolve
i can't see the pics

4th gear having more load can be the cause of the otherwise fine tune in 2nd/3th, but strange there is no specking going on in 3th but severe detonation in 4th.

does'nt seem right, wich afr's where you running at the track? you running a wideband? how much extra fuel did you throw in?

it's possible to create detonation from overly rich mixture... throw back in the 7's, restore the tune to where it was fine, make a 2nd gear pull and pull the plugs. if they're fine make a third gear pull and pull the plugs. if ignition and fuel still read fine on the plugs make a 4th gear pull or (if your scared to do a 4th gear pull on the road) make a 3th gear pull with ya brakes on slowing down acceleration and simulating a 4th gear pull. check plugs again. don't just throw in some fuel on a otherwise fine tune.

plugs giving out is like a fuse blowing out, that's why i like iridiums for tuning (they blow out at the sign of detonation). expensive fuses tough
Is running 25* of timing at WOT on e85 too much ignition for a 75, you think?

Wideband: Yes, i'm at 11-11.5 at wot, sometimes it touches 12.0 I think i'ma just keep it between 11-11.5 the best i can, Or is that too lean for nitrous?

Where my nozzle is placed, is it possible my #4 cylinder receives the most nitrous? How can i compensate? Run a secondary map when i flip my switch and add more fuel in that cylinder? Oyy this is tricky!!

Also, I was out tuning all day with my psi around 900 so my new bottle was around 1000, I added a touch of fuel to keep the afr's between 11-11.5

Last edited by ohsnapzafingcu; 03-22-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is running 25* of timing at WOT on e85 too much ignition for a 75, you think?

Wideband: Yes, i'm at 11-11.5 at wot, sometimes it touches 12.0 I think i'ma just keep it between 11-11.5 the best i can, Or is that too lean for nitrous?

Where my nozzle is placed, is it possible my #4 cylinder receives the most nitrous? How can i compensate? Run a secondary map when i flip my switch and add more fuel in that cylinder? Oyy this is tricky!!
what management are you running? can you make/post some screenshots of the parameters and fuel/ignition corrections?

25* can be to much for some and to little for others depends totally on the setup

11.0-12.0 afr is the safe range on nitrous, lean it out towards 12.0 for power and richen it up towards 11.0 for safety
i hope you understand the ratio's of e85 are way different but with the wideband settings still on normal gas where talking these figures

have you tested spray pattern before final install? take a picture of the nozzle placement and i can tell if your in the range.

for the individual cilinder trim, first try to get distribution even. try and look for the fuelring (deep inside the plug) for equal distribution. it'll tell you the story.

so first get out and run the settings as when it was fine on 2-3rd gear pulls and do a 4th gear pull (or a 3rd gear pull on the brakes) and see if it still melts the plugs...
Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wolve
@ what rpm do you shift and where do you fall back?

single fogger wet @ a 100shot is tricky, be sure to check distribution first pull.
start out with the 50 jets to examine plugs/distribution on the first few pulls so that you won't **** up on a decent shot.

aim for 10.5-11afr to make up for uneven distribution

I rev limiter is set at 7800, I shift at 7500 except for in first. lands about 5k I think. as for uneven distribution, is there anything I can do to change that while retaining the single fogger or would I have to go to direct port?

I appreciate the good info, even if you feel like your spoon feeding me because I know almost nothing about this stuff so far
Old 03-22-2011, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
I rev limiter is set at 7800, I shift at 7500 except for in first. lands about 5k I think. as for uneven distribution, is there anything I can do to change that while retaining the single fogger or would I have to go to direct port?

I appreciate the good info, even if you feel like your spoon feeding me because I know almost nothing about this stuff so far
What type of nozzle are you running and how far away from the TB is it?
Old 03-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wolve whats your opinion on a CROWER STAGE 3 CAMs
have you had any experience with it a friend of mine is giving me a set for free so im wondering if i could put them to good use in my LS VTEC NITROUS SETUP.

IN 81x89 setup with (p73-00 pistons JDMTYPER) GSR HEAD & on 130 hit dry single fogger (on q16 fuel)
motor has good bolts on etc victor x 70mm tb port matched hytech big tube headers 680cc injectors all arp hardware in the block knife edged micropolished lightened & balanced crank just to give you an idea

is it too big of a cam or you think i would be okay?
i never had any experience with them that's why i ask.

i'm really hoping to break the 200hp mark on PUMP gas ON MOTOR
atleast 320hp+ ON NITROUS tuned on q16
its also going into a EJ1.

track wise i dont really know what to expect so im see whats the best i can do with full interior & just removing back seats, FRONT AND BACK SUPPORT & USING CUT DOORS with fal windows thats only when i go to the track cuz i will be daily driving the car when at home.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:44 PM

I'm on s300, never tested spray patter, i'll take a pic of where the nozzle is later tonight if i get a chance. Here are some crappy uploaded phone pics, sorry I don't know how to screen shot with my mac
Plugs.

high cam ignition map
ignition table with the numbers
Old 03-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by K20egcw
What type of nozzle are you running and how far away from the TB is it?

Im using a dynotune usa fogger and its about 8-10 inches Id say.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm on s300, never tested spray patter, i'll take a pic of where the nozzle is later tonight if i get a chance. Here are some crappy uploaded phone pics, sorry I don't know how to screen shot with my mac
does'nt add up, that all seems very conservative......

what are the parameters on the nitrous output?
do you full throttle shift? do you have FTS enabled?
do you hit the limiter while shifting?
anything that's different between street tuning pull and dragracing?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:32 AM

In those pics I actually pulled 1* out of my high cam map and my nitrous paramaters, so a total of 2* is pulled now. I haven't ran it yet, though. I wanted to put a fresh set of plugs in and check them out before anything.

I'm not full throttle shifting, It's not enabled.
When i was at the track i remember i hit revlimiter once, Nitrous activates between 4,500-8,200 Shift light is at 8,200 and rev limiter is set at 8,600
AFR's seemed to be consistent from the street and drag strip, I still need to snap a photo of where my nozzle sits. It's on my coupler for my intake between the intake and throttle body
Old 03-23-2011, 05:35 AM

All motor ej1: i'm on crower stage 3's with about 12:0 compression. If you buy these cams you'll definitely need to buy gears as well. I made 185/135 with the gears set at (0,0). I'm shooting for 205 whp on e85!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In those pics I actually pulled 1* out of my high cam map and my nitrous paramaters, so a total of 2* is pulled now. I haven't ran it yet, though.

I still need to snap a photo of where my nozzle sits. It's on my coupler for my intake between the intake and throttle body
so what where the timing values when you destroyed the plugs?

also, that's about the most unsafe position to place the nozzle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't run it again in this position, place it right before the last bend up to the tb, let's 10" before the tb and your safe.

take a pic tough so we can point you in the right direction...

lesson learned: ALWAYS TEST SPRAY PATTERN!!!
Old 03-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

All motor ej1: i'm on crower stage 3's with about 12:0 compression. If you buy these cams you'll definitely need to buy gears as well. I made 185/135 with the gears set at (0,0). I'm shooting for 205 whp on e85!
basically with the right degree with a set of cam gears to go with the crower stage3s it shud make over 200hp BUT how good will they react to nitrous?

am i better off getting rid of these cams & getting pro2s?
Old 03-23-2011, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by all motor ej1
wolve whats your opinion on a CROWER STAGE 3 CAMs
have you had any experience with it a friend of mine is giving me a set for free so im wondering if i could put them to good use in my LS VTEC NITROUS SETUP.

i'm really hoping to break the 200hp mark on PUMP gas ON MOTOR
atleast 320hp+ ON NITROUS tuned on q16
its also going into a EJ1.

track wise i dont really know what to expect so im see whats the best i can do with full interior & just removing back seats, FRONT AND BACK SUPPORT & USING CUT DOORS with fal windows thats only when i go to the track cuz i will be daily driving the car when at home.
don't have any experience with crowers, but a free set should at least be used

if them cams/your tuner are any good i don't see why you can't reach for 200whp on motor and 320+whp on spray

should run mid 11's on slicks and a decent driver

Quick Reply: ***The Official Nitrous Thread***