****I need a TURBO DOCTOR, see if you can spot any damage****

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2004, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ****I need a TURBO DOCTOR, see if you can spot any damage****

Can you guys check out the pics of my turbo and let me know if you see anything fucked up?

I was leaking oil and drove around for a little while. It ended up taking in the air/oil mixture into the turbo and engine. I sprayed some brake parts cleaner around the turbo to clean the grease off and it did the job.

When I first put the turbo on in november my timing in the EMS was off and it cause my turbo and my manifold to get cherry red once. I dont think it did much damage because the blade still spin fine without problems.

There are small pictures (~150 KB) and bigger ones (~500 KB).
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/po...urbo/

Let me know if you guys can spot anything.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:16 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ****I need a TURBO DOCTOR, see if you can spot any damage**** (integra-modder)

i dont think its possible to look at a turbo and see if it is fucked up or not.. but you might be able to.. sorry bro
Old 05-23-2004, 07:25 AM
sh!t happens.

G

Default Re: ****I need a TURBO DOCTOR, see if you can spot any damage**** (Boostfedb18c1)

looks like one of those blades are bent on it.. but that will have nothin to do with the oil leak.. how was your oil return line on the car setup?
Old 05-23-2004, 08:54 AM

Default Re: ****I need a TURBO DOCTOR, see if you can spot any damage**** (G"UNIT)

The oil setup goes from the Oil Pressure switch, to a T on the firewall for my oil pressure guage, the input, and then the output to the turbo. Then another line goes from the T to the turbo, its a -4 AN line from NOS. The return is a -10 AN line through a 45 degree Earl's fitting into the pan. The leak happened at the pan because when I tried to unscrew the Earls fitting it unscrewed the bung too. Another leak was that the feed into the turbo itself.
Old 05-23-2004, 09:15 AM

Default Re: ****I need a TURBO DOCTOR, see if you can spot any damage**** (integra-modder)

It's impossible to see jack didly **** from that POV, but if it had any external damage, you'd defiitely see it. But...shaftplay is invisible. Put your finger on the peak of the compressor wheel and try to jiggle the shaft. If it moves, start the countdown.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:20 AM

Default Re: ****I need a TURBO DOCTOR, see if you can spot any damage**** (1316130057)

Are there any kind of gaskets and the such that could have melted or something?
Old 05-23-2004, 11:26 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra-modder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are there any kind of gaskets and the such that could have melted or something?</TD></TR></TABLE>

A few oil seals and some thrust bearings, but they don't melt, they wear, which is why I was saying to check for shaft play.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:53 PM

Default Re: ****I need a TURBO DOCTOR, see if you can spot any damage**** (1316130057)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1316130057 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A few oil seals and some thrust bearings, but they don't melt, they wear, which is why I was saying to check for shaft play.</TD></TR></TABLE>
just checked, my guess, the shaft play is maybe .1 to .2 mm
im guessing that its negligible since these arent made for NASA...
Old 05-23-2004, 07:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1316130057 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Put your finger on the peak of the compressor wheel and try to jiggle the shaft. If it moves, start the countdown.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm also pretty sure that it's subtantially greater than 0.1-0.2mm. That's nearly immeasurable with the human eye. On the other hand, if you noticed it move, it must have moved at least 1.0mm.

I'm sure it's not going to kill you, but it certainly won't help you. Every shift will send it further and further from centerline. Enjoy.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:38 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1316130057 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm also pretty sure that it's subtantially greater than 0.1-0.2mm. That's nearly immeasurable with the human eye. On the other hand, if you noticed it move, it must have moved at least 1.0mm.

I'm sure it's not going to kill you, but it certainly won't help you. Every shift will send it further and further from centerline. Enjoy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

None the less, I think they come this way. I didnt essential see it move or measure it. I felt it being stopped as soon as i started pushing it to a side.

Is there anything else that could be wrong with snail itself that I could check?
Old 05-24-2004, 05:04 AM

A turbo like that that isn't ball bearing will ALWAYS have a little bit of shaft play. Under about a millimeter, and you are fine.

Without lots of oil pressure in the center section, there is nothing supporting the shaft.
Old 05-24-2004, 05:05 AM

Oh yeah, and your avatar makes me want to die.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:44 AM

Default Re: (kpt4321)

After I took the turbo off, it had some oil left in the bearing and spun really freely.

My avatar is just my view of the current presidency in the US, maybe its not anyone but Bush, but its deffinetly a lot of other people before Bush.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (integra-modder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra-modder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My avatar is just my view of the current presidency in the US, maybe its not anyone but Bush, but its deffinetly a lot of other people before Bush.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 05-24-2004, 08:46 AM

Default Re: (Pooptooth)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is there anything else that could be wrong with snail itself that I could check?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, you could check the exducer, but that's going to take some dissassembly or depending on the area of the compressor channel, you may be able to inspect it by looking through the outlet. If it's too small, you obviously won't be able to observemuch of the exducer at all.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:23 PM

Default Re: (1316130057)

Yeah, you could check the exducer, but that's going to take some dissassembly or depending on the area of the compressor channel, you may be able to inspect it by looking through the outlet. If it's too small, you obviously won't be able to observemuch of the exducer at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I put the turbo back onto the car, hooked up my EMS, and had a near heart attack because its acting up and i cant think of what i did to **** it up. anyway, after putting it on, I check the shaft play and noticed that there is more play in the rotational direction of the shaft rather than the typical horizontal.

I dont remember what it was like brand new, does anyone have a new garrett that they could check? If you look at the compressor wheel see how far left-right and up-down it will move.

Thanks
Old 05-24-2004, 08:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra-modder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well I put the turbo back onto the car, hooked up my EMS, and had a near heart attack because its acting up and i cant think of what i did to **** it up. anyway, after putting it on, I check the shaft play and noticed that there is more play in the rotational direction of the shaft rather than the typical horizontal.

I dont remember what it was like brand new, does anyone have a new garrett that they could check? If you look at the compressor wheel see how far left-right and up-down it will move.

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

My brand new garrett with 0 miles has 0 play.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If it moves, start the countdown.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-25-2004, 04:07 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integra-modder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My avatar is just my view of the current presidency in the US, maybe its not anyone but Bush, but its deffinetly a lot of other people before Bush.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, it says "anyone but Bush" which is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Secondly, you're probably some hippy douchebag who thinks we're bad people for going to war, and thinks Sadaam is an A-OK guy.

Old 05-25-2004, 05:17 AM

Default Re: (kpt4321)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kpt4321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, it says "anyone but Bush" which is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Secondly, you're probably some hippy douchebag who thinks we're bad people for going to war, and thinks Sadaam is an A-OK guy.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
For one, Anyone but Bush is a very good idea, he wasnt even suppose to be president to begin with.
Two, you are just showing how immature you are that you cant hold up your argument without childish name calling. I guess it makes you feel all big sitting behind your computer typing away...and you call me a douchebag...ha

Keep it out of my thread, if you have something to say, say it to me in a PM
Old 11-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ****I need a TURBO DOCTOR, see if you can spot any damage****

hey bro first the feed line has to be -3 bcus -4 is to big n maybe you will float the turbo with to much oil i was having the same problem and i change the feed line and woalla perfect also i have a new compresor wheel for precision turbo like yours if you need it lmk i let it go cheap
Old 11-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: ****I need a TURBO DOCTOR, see if you can spot any damage****

Threads 5 years old... chances are he's not still sitting on this turbo.