Notices

*****Yo turbo manifold question******

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *****Yo turbo manifold question******

Ok so my wastegate fell the f*ck off today because the flange broke on my SS auto chrome turbo mani. My question, If i buy a cast iron log, will i be able to still keep the factory radiator as long as the turbo snails towards the block? And will my hood close using a JDM sport wastegate(i have a 91 civic hatch by the way)? Or will i have to have a relocation pipe? Thanks fellas, I aprreciate the help.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: *****Yo turbo manifold question******

Ahhhh, Good ole SS Auto Crap. I had the same thing happen to me. I switched to a cast log and no issues. Depending on the brand you get, you should be ok with your current radiator. I had to make mine so the hot side was on driver side of car and had to trim a little bit off the block to make it fit. But, it all depends on the manifold brand you get because I have tried another a friend had and it didnt require trimming of block.
As for the fitment of the WG. I have a DC2 teg and i had to trim out a little bit of a brace in the hood to make my Tial 44mm WG fit with no clearance issues.

GL

Last edited by zedron; 01-14-2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 01-14-2010, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks alot man. I guess ima go order a log and see if ill have to do any adjustments for the wastegate to fit.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dual Cam Killer
thanks alot man. I guess ima go order a log and see if ill have to do any adjustments for the wastegate to fit.
NP, is the turbo a SSAC brand too? If so i would get a fitting that lowers the amount of oil pressure that goes to the turbo. They have a tendency to blow seals quick. I blew my seals in my SSAC one 2 times before i bought a new turbo and also that fitting. the fitting goes on the feed port of the turbo and your line goes on that.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, I knew a guy who had that happen. $120 to replace the tial housing, $40 for a new oil pan, $8 for 4 quarts of oil...plus a new manifold. Didn't save him ANY money, and he still had CDM crap.

Depending on your turbo, you may have to grind some webbing off the block. Some people just replace the header studs with longer bolts and use a bare 1/2" manifold flange as a spacer between the head & manifold. It also depends on your WG and head if you need an elbow adapter for the WG.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im more worried about if its gonna clear the factory radiator rather than the wastegate clearing the hood. I really dont want to have to buy a slimline radiator when I really dnt need to replace it. My ss auto chrome cleared the radiator, I had the turbo snailed towards the block to make it work, in turn it put the hot side on the driver side, but i really dnt have a prob with that. All i care is that the manifold doesnt touch the factory radiator, I have a relocation tube for the wastegate if push comes to shove.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

chances are it will not clear the full rad. but you can try!
Old 01-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just lettin yall kno, that my cast iron log mani worked out. I got it bolted up and i have clearance on the block side and the radiator side, WITH the turbo snailed to the block. Amazed the **** out of me. BUT, I did have to cut a hole in my hood for the wastegate to clear. But its all good. Um I got one more question if this thread is still active, would the log cause a loss in power and cause my turbo lag to become longer? thanks fellas