Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

S300 V.3 tuning issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S300 V.3 tuning issue

Hello,

I was hoping someone could chime in with any possible help to the situation I am having with my vehicle.
I have a 00 ITR with a fully built turbo motor
ID 1700 injectors
84mm sleeved
skunk2 pro 1's
walbro 450 hardwired pump
9:1 compression weisco pistons
sheepey top mount kit
8374 borg warner 1.05 ar

On to the tuning issues... The Hondata S300 was purchase brand new with a refurbished ecu capacitors swapped.
We have the wideband wired to d14
Flex fuel wired to d10
mac 3 port wired to a11

While on the dyno here are the issues my tuner had which caused me to have to leave on a limp map and sent my ECU to hondata for diagnosis.

I initially started tuning in open loop. I set up all the injector data, and did some quick sweeps of the fuel tables to get things dialed. I then enabled “closed loop” with “wideband voltage target” and set target at 2.5 volts. As soon as I clicked that option, the car immediately shut off. I had to give it throttle to restart and remain running, and noticed the fuel was super lean. I had to add another 40-45% fuel trim back into the fuel maps to get back to stoich, where the car was running in open loop. When I did this, closed loop option was working and I began tuning the car. The short and long term trims were acting completely normal. Obviously there should be no difference in fueling between open and closed loop (especially that large of fuel scaling). I decided to go back to open loop to see if it would act normal, and when I did the engine would run completely rich by huge amounts.

When the calibration was set back into open loop, I scaled back the fuel trim % by -100. The fuel injector millisecond at idle was stuck at around 2 ms. I then scaled the injectors at 2500 cc, and the injector ms was staying at 1.75 ms with a 9:1 a/f. I then started reducing the injector latency curve, and took out 30-40% until the engine finally reacted and shut off. Ultimately the injector ms would cap at 1.5 ms, and stay at that point. I could not scale down the injectors, despite using extreme fuel trim and injector scaling. I put the calibration back into closed loop, returned the injector and fuel scaling back to the previous settings and the car ran fine. I thought the calibration could be corrupted, so I tried another file. That one did the same behavior. I then decided to grab a stock P72 file from the library, and do some quick injector scaling to test. Still the same behavior. I have attached the calibration file that the car left with for reference. I am at a loss for what is going on, I tuned multiple cars a week using the s300 and have zero issues.

The bold writing is from my tuner to HONDATA.. They emailed me back today claiming there was zero issues on their end and could not recreate these problems. They did recommend we wire the Flex fuel to the analog inputs on the V3. And to then use D10 instead of D14 for the wideband. Now I am unsure what may be the issue here. Has anyone ever ran into anything like this?
Old 06-08-2017, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: S300 V.3 tuning issue

Why is he trying to tune the car in closed loop???
Old 06-08-2017, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have run into that issue before actually. It's rare, but it does happen. It is the ecu itself, not the hondata. for some reason a rare few ecu's run drastically different between open and closed loop. My ecu does this, but I don't run closed loop ever, so I don't mind.
try a different ecu. or just keep the car in open loop at all times.

after that, find a different tuner. I don't care how many cars he tunes a week, he should NOT be tuning in closed loop. Its actually scary, the more cars he tunes, the more people that are probably getting screwed over with poor tunes. experience is not knowledge. experience is not an excuse for saying their way is correct. his way is not correct. and frankly, I'm surprised hondata didn't call him out on it.

where are you located?
Old 06-09-2017, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
I have run into that issue before actually. It's rare, but it does happen. It is the ecu itself, not the hondata. for some reason a rare few ecu's run drastically different between open and closed loop. My ecu does this, but I don't run closed loop ever, so I don't mind.
try a different ecu. or just keep the car in open loop at all times.

after that, find a different tuner. I don't care how many cars he tunes a week, he should NOT be tuning in closed loop. Its actually scary, the more cars he tunes, the more people that are probably getting screwed over with poor tunes. experience is not knowledge. experience is not an excuse for saying their way is correct. his way is not correct. and frankly, I'm surprised hondata didn't call him out on it.

where are you located?
Yea well hondata sent me back the ECU and I ordered a P28 prepped from a reputable company to swap my S300 into. I am located in Central NJ. I do not know anything about tuning but I will say my tuner is very well known on our platform. In fact he did point out almost exactly what you just said. That certain ecus can behave differently in different cars for no real apparent reason. But due to the issue he was leaning towards the S300 being bad.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

H22A 1997 Prelude - my S300v3 (from Phearable) also refuse to go closed loop. We did tune with open loop and everythings fine until you try to switch it to closed loop - car starts to run bad and dies. When switched back to open loop its ok again.
We use D12 EGR pin and settings should be ok.