Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Hondata S200 Guru's - answer this

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata S200 Guru's - answer this

First, is it possible to damage the s200 blue box if a Non Hondata Dealer tried to connect to the ecu to tune?

Ok, now onto the story..
since I know all of you like pictures, hopefully this will be a good incentive to get you to read the entire thread.

Well, when I went to get the car tuned for the second time, (at an authorized dealer and tuner) I was told that the datalogging port did not work and he could not tune by connecting his computer up to the s200. He had to keep burning new chips, doing another dyno run and make more changes, burn another chip, etc...

well, the vtec engagement point was set low, approximately 3k ? rpm's.
After numerous hours on the dyno, something still wasn't right. It seemed as though the computer was dumping extra fuel at around 5400 to 5500 rpm which the tuner could not lean out no matter what he tried. He was trimming off as much as 30% fuel at that point but something was overriding it. He said that it was almost like the computer thought that the VTEC was engaging again and then dumped more fuel. Take a look at the dyno chart above and you can see exactly what I am talking about.

The tuner was blaming this on the S200 unit, saying that it is not working right (also due to the fact of the datalogging port not working correctly... Supposedly it was freezing his computer every time he tried to connect to the S200). Also, a couple of times the red LED light was flashing and not solid and required him to turn the ignition key off and turn it back on again until it was solid.

Here is what I did. I swapped the S200 out with a brand new one from a friend who has boost and datalogging options. Then I connected up to my laptop and did some driving and datalogging. It clearly shows the VTEC engaging at about 5500 rpm where the dyno printout shows the extra fuel being dumped...

So, is the fault with the Hondata, or the program ? Supposedly the program has vtec set at 3k rpm. That engagement point is neither stock nor the 3k he set it at.... The basemap is of an Integra Type R that is supercharged, although i do not have the file myself.

With what I described, what could be wrong? The S200 box, or the tune?
Also, for an authorized dealer to tune on the datalogging port on the s200, does my S200 have to have the boost option enabled?

ah, done
Old 06-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata S200 Guru's - answer this (ITR 1102)

Too bad nobody has any thoughts/input. You can always buy my S200.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata S200 Guru's - answer this (Comp97GSR)

no kidding. Where is all the feedback ?

Dude, I don't want another s200. If i buy anything else, I am getting the s300.... unless you want to go in with me and lets just buy the rom editor / chip burner and a wideband together... I have to get retuned regardless
Old 06-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello,
I've been tuning for many many years now ... doesn't sound like the s200 is bad, more like the tuner didn't know what was going on (not to say anything bad about the tuner).

Tuning is more an art than a science.. anyone can punch keys and make changes, but you need to know what to change to get the results you need.

Feel free to contact me via PM, email or by phone and we can speak about this more in detail.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata S200 Guru's - answer this (C-speed)

360-543-7927 is C-speed's #
Old 07-01-2006, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata S200 Guru's - answer this (Circuit Star-29)

and you don't use the data log port to tune there a special cable that plugs into
the chip socket.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata S200 Guru's - answer this (Jago)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jago &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and you don't use the data log port to tune there a special cable that plugs into
the chip socket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

He knows this. However, the data log port doesn't work on his S200 so there is no data logging. It is malfunctioning/broke.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Little Hercules

Default Re: Hondata S200 Guru's - answer this (Comp97GSR)

im sure if you send it back to hondata they'll give you a new one.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata S200 Guru's - answer this (b00sted_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b00sted_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im sure if you send it back to hondata they'll give you a new one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That would be nice. Hondata won't deal with me though. I have to go through a dealer. Adrenaline, who tuned my car, has yet to get back to me or contact Hondata. It has been weeks.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Comp97GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He knows this. However, the data log port doesn't work on his S200 so there is no data logging. It is malfunctioning/broke.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, I didn't know this This took me by surprise John.
So if the tuner connects directly to the socket on the ecu, would that imply that I have a problem other than the S200 unit if he could not communicate with the computer?
Old 07-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You do not use the datalogging port to tune, it just provides sensor readings. It can also datalog which parts of the map that the car is running on, and A/F readings at each point if a wideband is connected-within Romeditor. Hondalogger can quickly tell you if your blue box has datalogging enabled. If you have a pocket programmer you can download the program on your chip and read the program with Romeditor. We have our own blue box with datalogging enabled that we use when we tune cars running an S100 or S200. Two ways to tune with a Hondata S200: #1 is with the Romulator (which takes the place of the chip in the ECU) where you make changes in real time as you tune. When you have made all of your tuning changes you burn the final map to the chip and install it.
#2-burn a new chip each time you make a change-more time consuming and less efficient.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would say that you have an issues with the CN2 connection on the ECU, or perhaps the ECU is still has the J12 jumper in place (half duplex).

A good tuner should be able to diagnose the exact problem and fix it before attempting to tune the car.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata S200 Guru's - answer this (Ausmith)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ausmith &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would say that you have an issues with the CN2 connection on the ECU, or perhaps the ECU is still has the J12 jumper in place (half duplex).

A good tuner should be able to diagnose the exact problem and fix it before attempting to tune the car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is the CN2 connector the same spot where the chip sits in? Once the chip is in the ecu, it reads fine as far as I know. The tuner told me that a few times the red light on the S200 was flashing and not solid, so he had to keep turning the ignition off and on until it was solid.

This Hondata S200 has been street tuned before, before I bought it from my friend.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ausmith &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would say that you have an issues with the CN2 connection on the ECU, or perhaps the ECU is still has the J12 jumper in place (half duplex).

A good tuner should be able to diagnose the exact problem and fix it before attempting to tune the car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR 1102 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is the CN2 connector the same spot where the chip sits in? Once the chip is in the ecu, it reads fine as far as I know. The tuner told me that a few times the red light on the S200 was flashing and not solid, so he had to keep turning the ignition off and on until it was solid.

This Hondata S200 has been street tuned before, before I bought it from my friend.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No - CN2 is a 5 terminal where the 1-4 terminals are used. This is the spot that the S200 hook-up cable is put.

If you S200 light is not solid you DEFINATLEY have issues with CN2 or another solder joint on the board.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ausmith &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No - CN2 is a 5 terminal where the 1-4 terminals are used. This is the spot that the S200 hook-up cable is put.

If you S200 light is not solid you DEFINATLEY have issues with CN2 or another solder joint on the board.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is where im getting confused. The tuner was blaming all these problems on the S200 blue box, saying that it was old - one of the first boxes manufactured.

Could the blue box be responsible? or should I look into getting a new chipped ecu?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ITR 1102 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is where im getting confused. The tuner was blaming all these problems on the S200 blue box, saying that it was old - one of the first boxes manufactured.

Could the blue box be responsible? or should I look into getting a new chipped ecu?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think it could be. What serial number is on the blue box?
Old 07-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know. Next time I am in the car I will get the serial # off of the blue box.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dumb question: Is the box's vtec point overriding the ECU vtec point? Whenever I tune the car we hard set the vtec value on the chip so that we don't have to play around with the box. At this point the box is used for datalogging only, when we are done with tuning we set the final program so that the vtec point can be user adjustable(at least in my personal car).

Austin
Old 07-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Hondata S200 Guru's - answer this (Austin)

Setting VTEC in the ecu overrides the setting in the interface box.