???? Sudden high idle 87 accord 2.0 carburated - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Classic Hondas All Pre-1988 Hondas.

???? Sudden high idle 87 accord 2.0 carburated

Old 12-08-2018, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default ???? Sudden high idle 87 accord 2.0 carburated

Hello, heres where I am at... Had to replace distributor O-ring. Also figured since I was there I may as well do the internal one as well. Car started no problem upon putting everything back together. Figured it would be prudent to get a timing light on it as I doubt the timing held exactly upon reinstalling distributor, but it seemed, and felt like it was pretty close. I drove it here and there while I searched for a light to borrow.....

Couple days later .... I get on it a bit (nothing crazy), to make a light... And now idle RPM is 2500-3k at temp.

As I know this can be many things.. I dont know if ita coincidence or not that I just had distributor out and apart. I also dont want to be adjusting idle screws, or fuel mixtures etc. Just to have to put them back when I find the cause.

First step.. Check timing.. But at 3k ... How correct is that gonna be?? Any insight as to what I may javw done, or the best order to oroceed would be appreciated. Maybe use an advance light and set it at the high end??

I need my car back.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ???? Sudden high idle 87 accord 2.0 carburated

Vac leak , either a hose is off somewhere (like million vac lines) or the carb is toast, probbb not related to timing
Old 12-08-2018, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been hunting for a vacuum line, and so far no culprit. I havent grabbed the spray bottle yet either. Has all been visual. Are there tests I can run on the carb., or components related to it to pass/fail it? Such as the vacuum advance, or dashpot, etc? Not really in a position to just replace the carb., or have time to learn to rebuild it.
I would also still like to make sure my dist. Install didnt throw timing off.... If it was even correct to begin with. Just replaced the timing belt recently and never put a light on it.
Trying to find this is horribly annoying at those RPM's. Can I make a major carb adjustment in one place to calm it down some while I search/diagnose?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id ditch 100% of the vacuum other than for the advance and put a Weber 32/36 on it
Old 12-08-2018, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im gonna guess the weber is a carburetor. While I do appreciate the thoughts on bettering the vehicle, my immediate need is having it functional enough to be its point A/B self again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: