Notices
All Motor / Naturally Aspirated No power adders

Troubleshooting: B-series VTEC vacuum setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting: B-series VTEC vacuum setup

Hey everyone, new member long time viewer.... I have looked around a lot to try to research and find an answer. But maybe someone can chime me in the right direction.

Long story short I bought a semi-built n/a b18c/b16 head motor from a co-worker... its a driving motor, drove it 40 miles home so there doesn't seem to be any serious issues with it as promised by him. However, since im not in a rush to throw it in my current car, I plan on freshening up the gaskets, timing belt, etc... I want to get it as close too 100% running right as can be, but there were a bunch of capped off vac plugs, like all the T/B ones since the coolant was bypassed which is fine, i dont want to run water in there anyway. But what has me wondering is the fact that the top front intake manifold nipple has also been capped off, and once unplugging it while it was still in the car and on, the idle would rise.... I would think this is meant to go into the stock pvc on the black box which is currently open with no hose going to it.

Is that hose meant to go directly to the pcv or should i just leave the intake manifold one capped off and get one of the catch can breather setups that utilize the ports on the back of the block.

Any help would be appreciated!!!
Old 04-25-2018, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Default re: Troubleshooting: B-series VTEC vacuum setup

It normal for idle to rise if you open up that line. I would hook it all up like stock, If you don't need to run a catch can keep it a closed system with the oil separator like Acura intended. Depending on where you live, an open catch can system can brings condensation/water into the oil.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Troubleshooting: B-series VTEC vacuum setup

Thanks for the reply GIZZ-EXV, that line that comes from I/M should then go directly to the PCV right? Only other vac line is the one from the FPR to the top right corner of the I/M

Also - nice avatar. I have a '87 GN myself