"Oils" Jobs in a motor.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: "Oils" Jobs in a motor.

Originally Posted by DC_Legacy
Good link, informative

edit: the only question I have is, since this is an Amsoil dealer (the webpage from which the review is listed) how do we know the test doesnt have a biased toward Amsoil products?

i just came to post that. read the 'review' and was like.. O.o
saw amsoil ads on the left. checked the product/oil page... all amsoil.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by night
i just came to post that. read the 'review' and was like.. O.o
saw amsoil ads on the left. checked the product/oil page... all amsoil.
From what I understand - and I do not admit to having much personal experience with Amsoil - is that chemically, it is a pretty decent product. They just seem to have a sort of weird "Amway" pyramid scam distribution system which turns a lot of people off and makes it seem like a scam. I would definitely trust it in my minivan but not sure I would trust it in my race car, but then again I don't think I've ever seen it marketed as a 'race oil'.

Oh, and that's another thing. Who wants to debate what constitutes 'race oil' and should you put it in your high performance street car?
Old 09-28-2009, 08:59 PM
HT White Ops

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott_Tucker
From what I understand - and I do not admit to having much personal experience with Amsoil - is that chemically, it is a pretty decent product. They just seem to have a sort of weird "Amway" pyramid scam distribution system which turns a lot of people off and makes it seem like a scam. I would definitely trust it in my minivan but not sure I would trust it in my race car, but then again I don't think I've ever seen it marketed as a 'race oil'.

Oh, and that's another thing. Who wants to debate what constitutes 'race oil' and should you put it in your high performance street car?
Amsoil actually has a very strong reputation in racing, and seems to be involved in racing quite a bit. When I looked into it a few years ago, it was one of the favorite oils of the the guys who send their stuff into labs on bobistheoilguy.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by rochesterricer
Amsoil actually has a very strong reputation in racing, and seems to be involved in racing quite a bit. When I looked into it a few years ago, it was one of the favorite oils of the the guys who send their stuff into labs on bobistheoilguy.
Yeah, I just googled 'Amsoil racing' and came up with their blog. It looks like they are heavily involved in off-road racing and power boats.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:11 AM
MEAT PATTY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Red_SiR
While diesels appear to be more dirty in their emissions, a long haul truck travels on the highways regularly, which is easier on the engine. These engines tend to be in better overall condition with better ring seal which causes less of the combustion process to get past the rings, into the oil. Those engines also run for great lengths of time and are able to burn off the contaminents in the oil that would build up from shorter, stop and go, city trips. Synthetic doesn't break down nearly as fast as the conventional oils which also helps give it a cleaner appearance.
Yeah highway miles are definitely more easier on the engine which me and my coworker discussed before, but given the miles of the engines we figured their would have to be some soot in the oil pan. I need to see if I can get access to the test results to fill you guys in more.

Originally Posted by rochesterricer
1 million miles between oil changes? Thats pretty damn impressive. Do you guys use Rotella Synthetic?
No the filters get changed every 15K, but the oil remains the same in the engine it doesn't get flushed. Usually around 800K-1 million miles the engines get rebuilt its just the it goes. It would be interesting to see how long they can actually go before they "really" needed a rebuild.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spun a rod last winter running 30 weight valvoline race oil....so no I wouldn't run race oil in a daily again. To much to matainance. You can't just start and go without heating you the oil to a certain temp, less detergents to keep the engine clean, a lot of ingrediants than get into the converter etc. Their are good oils for daily drivers that don't need the attention of race oils
Old 09-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No one uses Kendall?
Old 09-29-2009, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FST GSR 1
No one uses Kendall?
I used to use Kendall before I started using synthetic. Now it seems to be marketed as a 'synthetic blend'. It was good stuff back in the day.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.performanceoilnews.com/oi...nst_oils.shtml........ i read this article and found it to be very interesting. however though, i would of liked to seen all of the test conducted using the same viscosity(SUS) for each brand.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

link dosnt work for me
Old 09-30-2009, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For a synthetic I like Schaffer's.